No announcement yet.

Advice Needed/Shooting into a Feeder Pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut the top 3 rows off and stretch barbed wire . 1 strand will keep the cows out, and it will still be high enough to keep the pigs out. I would also move the feeder back and cut that tree out of there. No need to move the blind.

Comment

Archery, make the pen bigger and set blind inside the pen if you have the room.

Gun, make the pen bigger, center feeder and elevate blind.

Comment

We take and cut the side we'll be shooting and wire it to the pen where is makes a hinge and folds down for the hunts. After the hunt we flip em back up and wire them to where they stay up. I'll get a pic this weekend and post what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
          Cut the top 3 rows off and stretch barbed wire . 1 strand will keep the cows out, and it will still be high enough to keep the pigs out. I would also move the feeder back and cut that tree out of there. No need to move the blind.
          May be ok if you cut three rows off. I generally hate barbed wire on top as have seen several deer get wrapped up in top strand and panel. Tough way to go!

Comment

I put my feeders near the blind side of the pen
            Some of the corn is thrown out on the near side when deer and pigs concentrate.
            I like to spread corn everywhere upwind of me anyway when I hunt and don’t count on my shots being in the pen.
            I also have lowered a small section of on the blind side of the pen so they will circle the pen to get easier access

BP

Comment

Originally posted by BowTech2010 View Post
              We take and cut the side we'll be shooting and wire it to the pen where is makes a hinge and folds down for the hunts. After the hunt we flip em back up and wire them to where they stay up. I'll get a pic this weekend and post what I'm talking about.
              thats a great idea

Comment

Like this idea a lot! Seems like I could lower the flap for the weekend and wire it back up at the end. Would reduce having to go down there as much as our deer are very skittish. Looking forward to the pics you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We did this as well at one spot and it works well. Only downside is on a morning hunt you can't sneak in as well since you have to go up to the pen and drop the panel. To counter act this if your cows aren't crazy trying to get into that pen we have dropped it the afternoon before the hunt, put out hand corn and left it down overnight. Put it back up after the morning hunt on your way out.

Comment

Cut the top row off just one hog panel. That’ll give you a little more shooting room.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                        Get elevated or shoot them outside of the pen would be the only options I can think of.
                        Correct be high enough to shoot over the pen or wait until they are out of the pen...

Comment

Simple solution. Put the feeders outside the pens so the deer never go in the pen to begin with.

Also make sure to supplement corn with pea gravel to save you a few bucks (money not deer.)

Comment

I do #2 & #3.
                            I cut a notch on two panels and hand corn on three sides of the feeder. I did have a shooter come in that I wanted my son to shoot but he ignored the corn outside the feeder and jumped in the pen. When he was done he wasted no time. He jumped over the full panel and walked in the brush.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                              Simple solution. Put the feeders outside the pens so the deer never go in the pen to begin with.

Also make sure to supplement corn with pea gravel to save you a few bucks (money not deer.)
                              Or hunt in the feed pen to where your shooting out!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                                Or hunt in the feed pen to where your shooting out!
                                Hogmauler, where did you get your doctorate at? You sir, are thinking inside the box, which in this case, is actually thinking outside the box.

Comment

Working...
                                X