• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive been there twice.
    On two pretty good bucks.
    Couldn't find either one of them.

Comment

Pretty crazy that he didn’t die right away.
      Try searching up wind (the day of) of where your shot him. Deer will run in any direction for the first 10 seconds or so just getting out of there but will always always always turn and go into the wind or angle into the wind after the first initial rush. It is purely instinct and they will not break this rule if they are still alive and moving. If you find him I will bet anything that he is in a general up wind direction of where you shot him.
      I learned this when I had my tracking dog. Every single deer that we had to track always turned in to the wind at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
        Pretty crazy that he didn’t die right away.
        Try searching up wind (the day of) of where your shot him. Deer will run in any direction for the first 10 seconds or so just getting out of there but will always always always turn and go into the wind or angle into the wind after the first initial rush. It is purely instinct and they will not break this rule if they are still alive and moving. If you find him I will bet anything that he is in a general up wind direction of where you shot him.
        I learned this when I had my tracking dog. Every single deer that we had to track always turned in to the wind at some point.
        Got an eight point skull from one that did that.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I will tell this story since I have plenty witnesses. I shot a 10pt at first light. 18yd quartering away. Hit in that same spot maybe an inch lower. Excited through off side shoulder. Jogger on Tbh was hunting fairly close and I new he loved to track plus I was gonna need help loading the deer so I txt him. He was coming after he finished his hunt. We started tracking a red carpet for 100yds then it went suddenly to specks for another 100. We ate lunch then went back to grid. About 500yds out jogger jumped a deer but got a good look and saw no blood on him. I went and found the bed and sure enough some small blood. We found specks and took it anotherc200yds by dark. Steve was convinced the deer wasn't seriously hurt but I saw exactly where I hit.

I went back the next day and started grids. About 11am I found him a solid mile from the shot. It appeared coyotes had just finished him off as he was still warm and fresh but yotes had jerked hair out all over. I called jogger and he headed my way.

The shot was exactly perfect. Both lungs and even cut the top of his heart . Deer lived 30 hours and was a mile or more from shot. No explanation for it.

I owned a processing plant for years. I can tell you I saw hundreds of deer with old injuries. Many had been shot in ways that seemed impossible to survive. Yet they had healed up.
          Last edited by GarGuy; 11-24-2022, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Crazy things happen. Looks pretty good. My boys each separately shot the same cull 8 last year at different times. He should have died, both times with iron wills and stick bows. One was in the high shoulder and the other one about where this one is. they each could not locate the deer even with our distinguished catahoula with 250 tracks under her belt. i really thought they were both fos but then I saw him eating cotton seed with scars from both arrows pretty much where they said and far as i know he is still around. Crazy, maybe you will see him again or find the skull. good luck

Comment

Working...
            X