IMHO, dove outfitters are some of the worst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMHO, dove outfitters are some of the worst

I strongly encourage you to check references and get the details about dove day hunts. Some of the most unscrupulous people on earth are dove outfitters.
    Questions to ask:
    1. How large is the field and how many shooters in that field?
    2. References from this year if possible, last year if not
    3. Is this near a town, are there structures nearby that will limit the direction that shots can be taken?
    4. When was the last time you scouted the location, how many birds, when did they fly?
    5. Is this pass shooting or are the birds feeding at this location, how high do they fly typically?
    6. Is this an all day hunt or just half of a day?
    7. Can I clean birds on the property?
    8. Do you provide food and drinks? Can we drink beer after the hunt?
    9. Has this field been hunted recently? How many birds were killed?
    10. Will you be present during the hunt? (important if other hunters are being unsafe). This is a big consideration. If the guy is just going to take your money and just tell you where to go or lead you there and then leave, there's a decent chance that you are being taken.

Got burned huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
      Got burned huh?
      More than once, but not recently. I was put on a 5 acre lot in Seally proper one time with 25 other people and, what birds there were were a million miles high. Another time, I booked a hunt up near Corsicana. The outfitter showed up an hour late and there were no birds whatsoever.

Comment

I always had better luck going straight to a hunting ranch that offered dove hunts as well, no large outfitter.

Comment

Yep most outfitters in the bird hunting business whether dove or waterfowl are straight up crooks.

Comment

I always ask if they guarantee that they have birds. May not be in shootable range, but if there are no birds flying. Do you refund my money or let me come back another time free of charge.

Comment

mehh, disregard edit

Comment

I think looking on TPWD and just going to one of the hundred dove fields.
                We paid for a dove hunt many many years ago and it was good but I can’t imagine paying for another one. Sorry to hear you got burned

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  I think looking on TPWD and just going to one of the hundred dove fields.
                  We paid for a dove hunt many many years ago and it was good but I can’t imagine paying for another one. Sorry to hear you got burned
                  I've done that. Killed a limit one time, but, in general it's a of people and not many birds.

Comment

I hunt with Dry Creek Outfitters every opening weekend in Wichita Falls for the last 5 years. Rustin is straight up legit.
                    This year there were more birds in his fields than I've ever seen in my life (besides Arizona).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

My suggestions also is put as many feelers out as possible and find a good outfitter and stick with him through good and bad hunts they cant always help it. We have a guys trip every year in STX we have been hunting the same place for 10+ yrs now i think. Through good and bad we have stuck with him and never complained. Probably 7 out of 10 of those trips have been the best bird hunts i have ever had. He always puts us in some of the best spots in the field now and he also holds single fields just for us.

I agree though i have seen some of the worst examples of hunters and outfitters in the dove field worse than any other hunting. Waterfowlers a close 2nd. Keep in mind alot of these oufitters put up with alot of BS from people that dont know jack about hunting but bought a shotgun and are on their first trip paid there money like everyone else and now thing they are the best of the best.

Comment

Just like anything else. I have had some horrible experiences with dove outfitters and some great ones. It does suck to sit in a field with 50 other people, getting peppered and only see a few doves. All the while paying for that experience.
                        Last edited by HoustonHunter94; 09-06-2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I paid $600 for 5 people to shoot 4 birds about 2 years ago, and I think 5 shells were shot; so it wasn't like we were missing a lot. Never again.

Comment

Well, i guess this is more the norm than not honestly. For me I tend not to hunt until cooler weather, so dove is not high on my September list especially when out west is calling in August & September for big game. Full disclousure, I aint that mad at doves either......in other words birds are not my passion like many others on TBH. I am scheduled for G2 Ranch https://g2ranch.com/dove-hunting/ next weekend with SCI but not overly certain I will go.....cool front will be my decision maker! Once i learned about Argentina I don't even consider dove here an option. Cheap, direct flights, incredible accommodations, good food and more birds (dove, parrot and pigeons) than I would ever want to shoot at. I never shoot all 3 days down there........2 days is waaaaay more than i can stand......lol!

Comment

Just here for the comments

Comment

Working...
                              X