Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for making a quiet flemish twist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am an avid DIYer that wants to learn to make nice round and quiet flemish twist strings. I've made several (always using d97) and have made a couple of nice ones. It seems like I have a hard time getting my back twists just right and end up with a "lumpy" string if that makes sense. I've also read conflicting opinions on number of strands. I've tried 14 and 16 with the biggest difference seeming to be serving size and nock fit differences.

I'm obsessed right now with making my bow as quiet as possible and it seems like a quiet string is one of the more important factors.

Do any of you experienced string makers have any tips or resources to point me to?

I didn’t have the patience to stick with string building. I’d get one good one and 3 lumpy ones for every 4 I’d try to make. I can build one if I’m in a pinch, but would just as soon buy one from someone who I know makes good strings.

There are materials out there that I think are quieter than D97. X99 is one that I can think of off hand.

Good luck with your string building endeavor!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      I didn’t have the patience to stick with string building. I’d get one good one and 3 lumpy ones for every 4 I’d try to make. I can build one if I’m in a pinch, but would just as soon buy one from someone who I know makes good strings.

There are materials out there that I think are quieter than D97. X99 is one that I can think of off hand.

Good luck with your string building endeavor!

Bisch

I'm not opposed to this route for this season. Do you have any recommendations on string builders?

Comment

I use 14 strands for B55 and for UltraCam. If I have to wrap a layer of floss over the serving for the nocks to fit, that is no big deal. I put a drop of Loctite 420 on the floss and it will last for months. It also peels off really easy if I decide to change it out. I use wool puffs and heavy arrows to quiet the bow. Sometimes four small puffs are better than two larger ones. I let the bow dictate what it takes. I have two Schafers that are identical in draw weight and bow length. One braces best at 7 1/2" and has cat whiskers in the skinny string. The other braces little over 8" and has four wool puffs in the UltraCam string. The bow with the skinny string was a recent purchase and came set up that way. I'm a tight wad and won't spend the money on cat whiskers when I can make wool puffs for maybe a dime a piece.

Comment

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
          I'm not opposed to this route for this season. Do you have any recommendations on string builders?

Bayou Traditional Archery - Michael Harbison

or

Hunters Choice Bowstrings - Daniel Binkley

Both of these guys build great strings and are out of Louisiana.

Bisch

Comment

I put a clip on the string after the first loop so it doesn't unwind. Then I take out all of the twists in each bundle. After that I put in about 30 reverse twists. Then i make the second loop.

Comment

Originally posted by BernieH View Post
              I put a clip on the string after the first loop so it doesn't unwind. Then I take out all of the twists in each bundle. After that I put in about 30 reverse twists. Then i make the second loop.
              I do that too. I also actually have a measuring stick that I use for placement of the second loop. That has helped me hit length much more consistently.

Comment

I ordered one from hunters choice. Want to see what a “quiet” string sounds like. Then will try and build my own or will just continue to buy. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Few (very few) string builders pre-stretch, and condition the strings as much as they should be when they are building them.

The more elasticity a string has, the more it will vibrate, the longer it will vibrate, the louder it will be, and the longer the sound duration will be.

The less elasticity the string has, the faster it will come to a complete stop, and the quieter it will be.

Some materials are a little louder than others, BUT for the most part, how quiet a string is - is "directly related" to how well built it is.

Polyester material (dacron) vibrates more, and twice as long after the shot, than good low stretch material do. Some of the low stretch materials have more elasticity, than some of the others do.

Since Brownell went out of business I'm kind of out of touch with string materials, but from what I have heard from other string builders (who know their stuff) X99 is the best BCY has to offer in their FF versions.

I have been using the new Blood Line material, and it is (in my opinion) the best out there right now. For stickbows, their VEC-99 is the strongest, and the quietest, but the standard Bloodline99 is darn good also. They also have an HT99 for crossbow strings. I haven't tried it (don't recommend it), and it looks to be pretty thick, and heavy for use on stickbows anyway.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                  X