No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charge a fortune? Do you realize how much is spent on fuel, vehicle maintenance, dog care and gear? Plus all the late nights, missing things like birthday parties and Thanksgiving dinner to go chase a deer someone shot that morning?
    Considering how trophy bucks can cost anywhere from $2500 to $10,000 + (that you'll owe whether it's recovered or not) is a couple hundred dollars for a GOOD dog really all that much?

Some people just want to step on other people for no apparent reason..
    Didn't think I was stepping on the guy. I can't help it if someone gets offended by the truth. TBH is full of young dogs not finding deer that should be recovered....if that's not a good enough reason to turn down calls your dog isn't ready to take then I don't know what is. Set the dog up for success for Pete's sake.

As someone else said above, train the dog first. The dog should be proven on aged tracks, long tracks, tracks leading to a wounded deer, night time tracks, contaminated tracks, ect. These are just some of the normal conditions you're going to encounter going out on calls so create those situations in your training. Once the dog is finished being trained, you can offer to help hunters find their wounded deer. No one has a 100% success rate but if the deer CAN be found, a GOOD dog will find it.

Charger, go find you a hunting operation and offer to show up every weekend and work for them for free.
    I had a fellow come out several weekends last year to get his dog some work.
    This is what I have always done. I guide and work for ranches and they pay me in does and cull bucks.

Comment

If some of you think that's getting stepped on you need to get some thicker skin.

Comment

Well Sam had a successful first training track. He got turned around and went backwards on the track for a few feet, before getting his bearings straight again. I kept him on 20' lead and let him figure out his mistakes. I gave him a pretty faint track to work with, but 150 yards later he nailed it. Lots and lots of practice ahead of us, but with time maybe he can help me and my friends find a few deer when we need him. Any training tips would be appreciated as I have only ever trained labs for field trails, hunt test, and duck hunting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cphillips View Post
          Well Sam had a successful first training track. He got turned around and went backwards on the track for a few feet, before getting his bearings straight again. I kept him on 20' lead and let him figure out his mistakes. I gave him a pretty faint track to work with, but 150 yards later he nailed it. Lots and lots of practice ahead of us, but with time maybe he can help me and my friends find a few deer when we need him. Any training tips would be appreciated as I have only ever trained labs for field trails, hunt test, and duck hunting.

Mock trails are great but nothing is better than tons of easy to find dead deer. I personally think everyone overdue the mock trails. Put your pup on dead deer and make it think they found it, with a ton of praise at the end. He must gain confidence and tons of time. Why do good trackers charge so much? Because it takes a ton of time and dead deer to have a finished dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Hocks & horns View Post
            Mock trails are great but nothing is better than tons of easy to find dead deer. I personally think everyone overdue the mock trails. Put your pup on dead deer and make it think they found it, with a ton of praise at the end. He must gain confidence and tons of time. Why do good trackers charge so much? Because it takes a ton of time and dead deer to have a finished dog.
            Well I can do that. I have two separate friends right down the road about 5 minutes that have high fence places so I could easily take him down Everytime something's is shot and let him think he found it.

Comment

^^^^best advice in entire thread^^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Seay View Post
                ^^^^best advice in entire thread^^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
                ... oh the irony... not sturring things up but the last week this thread has made me facepalm on mutiple occasions... can we get back to normal oporation?

Surley yall have had some interesting stuff last weekend and with the cool front

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cphillips View Post
                  Well I can do that. I have two separate friends right down the road about 5 minutes that have high fence places so I could easily take him down Everytime something's is shot and let him think he found it.

I would put a GPS collar, bell or harness on your dog everytime you go find a deer so that pup associations that with what your doing. Spend a ton of time with your dog and get it around people and strange places. Keep associating blood with your track. Let the pup eat something bloody like liver or give it a treat at the deer.
                  Last edited by Hocks & horns; 10-18-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I would put a GPS collar, bell or harness on your dog everytime you go find a deer so that pup associations that with what your doing. Spend a ton of time with your dog and get it around people and strange places.
                    Well he is a 3 year old. I adopted him from a shelter, which he had been in since a pup. He already goes everywhere with us, and is very familiar with a collar, cause I had to train him with a shock collar. He liked chasing my cows and not coming. For now I will keep him on a lead, but i am running a GPS collar on him that a guy at work is letting me borrow so that he is use to it while working. I'll have him all weekend out at my buddies place so we will get him on several fresh kills. I already talked to him about bringing him out with me.

Comment

Beau found another easy one.
                      When I first got him he was a little timid when we found the animal.
                      I guess I can understand a 6 month old pupy coming up on a Red Stag in the brush but I was running him with a insane Jagd terrier and they were making a good team.

I sold the Jagtd so Beau has had the last 3 tracks solo.

This deer was dead when we found it but I was very pleased with how he acted when we found it.

It was my deer so I didn't have to pull him off to keep him from messing it up.
                      He drug it around for 10 minutes before I pulled him off
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3063.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	24515143

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3060.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	24515144

Comment

Congrats Beau and Buff! Sounds like yall are well on your way to making a fine team.

Take it you didn't care for the Jagd?

Comment

We have been busy this year. Chalk another one up for Sadie. 12 hours after the first Dog couldn’t get him stopped (got hot), dropped Sadie and she took it another 250 yards and sat down to bay. Broken leg buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stuck a buck a few weeks back, don’t think I posted this find. I thought I smoked him and went for the young dogs for some positive reinforcement training. Well about 2 miles later we bayed him up in the thickest part of the ranch. One poke to my eye put me down for a day. Dogs did good and stuck with him. Teamwork when working young dogs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats Jerry! Yall are already racking up some bone this season.

Comment

Awesome Jerry g nice bucks

Comment

Working...
                                X