How are you guys handling kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you guys handling kids

I’m feeding a small army and it’s hard to keep up with the stores. How are you guys keeping up? Kids ate 4 family packs of chops, two family packs of Meyers sausage- When I got home nada left. Had a beer and can of soup. With all the kids out of school and kicked out of college and high school how are you guys handling it. My house is one that kids hang at because I have a lot of space- pool table- game room etc. id rather them be here than out and about and I keep it under 10-12 kids. What are some things your communities are setting up so the kids don’t get in trouble. Sending them to catch a cooler of whites tomorrow. Looking for any ideas. And these are not young kids these are young men.

I wish I could offer advice but us and the neighboring county are on 24 hour curfew for kids. Unless they are to and from work or with a parent, they are to be at home.

I am going on a meat run myself tomorrow to see if I can find some whole loins to break down. Lines are out the door at our local HEB stores. No more than 25 inside at a time, one leaves, someone can enter.

Comment

I am not feeding a bunch of kids anymore. Just my wife and me, but my son and his wife live nearby and we feed them a few times a week. They were over for supper tonight, and we sent them home with a few bags of axis meat from the freezer. Thankfully, it's nearly full of axis, and there are lots more at the lease if we start to run low.

Comment

Mike. Good luck. It is sad. Kids are planning private prom now. Have place, funding, transportation to after prom but what a logistical pain.

Shane we live by the lake they are doing a fish fry tomorrow. I’m glad it will keep them busy. Having a wofle ball game tomorrow as well. I do benefit from that. They ran the box blade today and picked rocks and made a field in my rock farm

I have about 100# of meat I need to grind but was waiting for briskets to go on sale to mix. I’m just looking for ideas to keep these young men busy. I’m gonna hire a few to cut cedar a few days but don’t have that much left.
        Last edited by glen; 03-17-2020, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Ours are 9-13, two of which are unfortunately going to get the most mundane birthdays they’ve ever had. First thing we did was sit them down and talk to them about the virus, being cautious...but not freaking out, and how we need to plan as a family with everyone being home for a month. I had them make a list of things they want to do, then decide how often they want to do each of those. My wife also came up with time blocks where reading, creative time, exercise/outdoors, etc. need to be worked into each day. Our main thing is that the next 4 weeks are not an extended weekend of idle time in front of the Xbox, YouTube, etc. For food, we have a meal/snack schedule, and we ain’t feeding the neighborhood. This ain’t no buffet with all the crazy crap going on at the grocery store.

We are trying to use bikes as a primary means of getting around to help ease the cabin fever. Riding to parks or the river instead of driving. Yesterday we scouted a place to run a trot line, and today we are gonna set it and see how we do. We’ve got hours of board games to play (Scythe, Gloomhaven, etc), plenty of argon and steel, and lots of art supplies. Should be able to keep ourselves entertained, fed, and hopefully healthy, employed, and safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Got 2 college boys back in the house as well. Dang I forgot how much they eat. Not just main meals but also snacks in between. One is on line only for the rest of the semester so he went back to his old job at Kroger. They were happy to have him. Also fed both girlfriends and a buddy last night. Pit was full of meat but hardly any left this morning. Wife bought a bunch of pasta so using that to try and fill them up too. My wife told me last night I may need to go shoot a couple hogs. I married a keeper ��

Comment

Pasta or rice, something that will fill them up!

Comment

I have four kids at home. They are all girls and they don't eat much. I smoked a 15 pound brisket all day Monday and gave some to the neighbor down the street, some to my buddy and his family, and we had my sister and brother-in-law over to eat the rest of it. We still had some leftover! We are trying to keep the kids busy at home so they aren't stir crazy. Soon they will be busy with school work when the school e-mails their lessons to us.

Comment

Can't get my bunch corralled, they keep slipping off fishing and what have you, they know grandma has some house painting to be done!

Comment

I'd tell them it's rice and beans ans whatever they can bring home.

Comment

Lots of rice and beans for my boys right now along with reasonable amounts of meat/veggies. They are 8 and 3. 8 year old is very tall/skinny and eats like he's got a hollow leg.

Comment

Pasta and rice are your friends.

Spaghetti and meat-sauce
                        Spaghetti and egg
                        Easy Pasta Carbonara
                        Goulash
                        BEATRIZ DE COSTA
                        Chicken Carbonara
                        New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
                        Chicken gumbo
                        Beef or chicken stew over rice
                        pork-n-beans and groundmeat over rice
                        Stir fry and rice
                        Fried rice
                        Chicken fried rice
                        Pork fried rice
                        Spanish rice
                        jambalaya
                        shrimp creole over rice
                        Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo

All of these are meals that you make in the big pot and should feed a small army.

Comment

I'll say this. There are some parents in the Katy area who apparently don't care if they lose a kid or two, because they are out breaking into cars at all hours of the morning. I expect this to get worse too.

Comment

I am in the same boat at my house with several adult kids as well as some littles. I have a deep freezer full of game meat and have been cooking lots of that after several trips to the store with empty shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
                              Got 2 college boys back in the house as well. Dang I forgot how much they eat. Not just main meals but also snacks in between. One is on line only for the rest of the semester so he went back to his old job at Kroger. They were happy to have him. Also fed both girlfriends and a buddy last night. Pit was full of meat but hardly any left this morning. Wife bought a bunch of pasta so using that to try and fill them up too. My wife told me last night I may need to go shoot a couple hogs. I married a keeper ��
                              I'll say she is, I can't even get my wife to talk to my girlfriends much less feed them

Comment

Working...
                              X