Pup sent to dog trainer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pup sent to dog trainer questions

I sent my 5mo old lab to the trainer nearly 3 weeks ago. He's been a house/family dog with just basic obedience training by me. The trainer just treats him like a dog which I knew going into this. I'm out of town hunting this weekend so the wife and son went by the trainer to see Ammo, our dog. She called me this evening worried about him. She said he just wants to jump on her, acts like he just wants to run off and didn't seem to be the cuddle pup we had a few weeks ago. My son could see the difference and didn't want to play with him and they are big buds. Is this normal or is he not getting enough attention and stuck in the kennel all day without any work? I'm going by this next week to check on him.

What trainer is he at?
    The pup is only 5 months old. Things are going to change.

Comment

Not throwing the trainers name out there. He actually 7 months old. Yeah change I get, my wife maybe shocked because he's kenneled with 15 other dogs.

Comment

I dont know how much time you have on your hands....id suggest training on your own. It can be 15mins a day. You and your son, or have your wife get involved. Repitition is key. Small victories are things you need to celebrate w the dog. Love em up when they do right, but be firm when you are training. Breaking a dog is hard, but extremely rewarding. I have a gsp that will do anything i say, i started her as a pup and she is an incredible dog. Get your pup back. Work everyday on sit, work from sit to lay, work from lay to stay. Baby steps. Work on fetching in a hallway w a tennis ball, make it a game for the dog. Wife on one end of the hall you on the other. Sit down block the hall off, throw the ball, have the dog get it, and bring it back to you, not your wife. That way the dog knows your the alpha and needs to listen to you. Work everyday with the dog no matter what for at least 15 mins a day.

Comment

i had the same problem with my first trainer, had my dog for 5 weeks and kept telling that my dog wasnt picking up on the training, which i knew was b.s, went and picked her up and she was not the same dog, could tell in her face that something was wrong, took her home and took about a week for her to come out of her funk, found another trainer named jeff brown with dawgonitretrievers.com in taft,tx she was there 12 weeks and learned everything quickly, he sent me videos of her training on a regular basis, we went back on several occasions for refresh training and she was always happy to see him. he trained probably 30 dogs a day, each in there own kennel, a great opporation

Comment

if the trainer is named mike and in taft, tx go get your dog tonight

Comment

What Pervis said

Comment

Sounds like your dog shut down on the trainer. I had the same thing happen to my dog with his trainer that was south of Brenham off of 36. My trainer never trained a Chessy before and didn't know how to train a Chessy. My .02, go with a trainer that has a real resume like Marks-a-Lot.

Comment

He's not in Taft. I don't have time or I'd love to train him myself

Comment

I have a trainer for you , pm me your number and I will call you. My field trial dog was there for a few months and I'm quite pleased with her.

Comment

I know time and space may be limited but I've found it exceptionally rewarding to work on your own dog. I've had my dog since 9 weeks old and we train everyday.. mostly 15 minute sessions. They pick up extremely fast. He's now 10 months and for such a young pup, he did great during dove and waterfowl season. No one will take care of your dog better than yourself.

Comment

At 7 months old, your dog should be solid on sit, stay, come, heal, basic retrieving and solid on holding until sent. Your pup should still be enthusiastic about whatever you want him to do. It's a long debunked myth about waiting until a pup is older to start training... It really is not that hard nor time consuming to get them to the basics of being a retrieving dog. 80% of it can be done right in your living room and hall of your house/apartment without having to work him outside. If you can't make 15-20 minutes a day or 5 days a week for your pup, then I expect you'll have to accept what you get... Best of luck to ya. My new lab pup will be 4 months old next Monday and she's solid on all the above... still a bit rusty on the heal, but that's just time and aging necessary to fix that, but she's a retrieving machine and is even more solid on the whistle than voice command. We're working on hand signals for back and over now, and almost all of her training has been done in my house... We'll move outside when the weather is a bit nicer (and hopefully dryer)...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          At 7 months old, your dog should be solid on sit, stay, come, heal, basic retrieving and solid on holding until sent. Your pup should still be enthusiastic about whatever you want him to do. It's a long debunked myth about waiting until a pup is older to start training... It really is not that hard nor time consuming to get them to the basics of being a retrieving dog. 80% of it can be done right in your living room and hall of your house/apartment without having to work him outside. If you can't make 15-20 minutes a day or 5 days a week for your pup, then I expect you'll have to accept what you get... Best of luck to ya. My new lab pup will be 4 months old next Monday and she's solid on all the above... still a bit rusty on the heal, but that's just time and aging necessary to fix that, but she's a retrieving machine and is even more solid on the whistle than voice command. We're working on hand signals for back and over now, and almost all of her training has been done in my house... We'll move outside when the weather is a bit nicer (and hopefully dryer)...
                          +1 they are smart dogs and will catch on quick best of luck to you

Comment

Duckdogtrainer on here is a good guy and good trainer.

It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              This. Theres something rewarding to learning how to atleast train the basics with your dog. Heck I somewhat judge people a bit based on how they've trained their dog or not, can tell you about them a bit. 10 mins a night just to do the basics.

Comment

Working...
                              X