Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 01-01-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
BeardedAg08
Nubbin' Buck

Default How do you hunt in the S. Texas brush country?

This is my first year to hunt with a bow in S. Texas as I previously only gun hunted. I have tried hunting from a ground blind, stalking, and tree stand. My problem is I like the tree stand more but also have a small fear of heights haha. I will sit in the tree stand but I do not like standing in it. The ground blind for me is easier (have a Barronett) but I really dislike having only a small opening to look out. Next year I will likely try a homemade ground blind with brush etc. So I would like to know how you hunt in the S. Texas brush country.

Do any of you sit in the big oaks and hunt from them? Mesquite trees etc?

Thanks
BeardedAg08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

If you like being up get a 7’ tripod and back it into a tree. Put camo netting around behind you to break up your silhouette. I’ve also got the Mavericks, Krivo and Blind turtle ground blinds. They all work well.
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
Randell
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos county

I’m not a super fan of tree stand neither but a lifeline and harness surely helps. They’re not that expense and it’s just common sense to wear one. Practice in the spring and summer shooting sitting down.
Randell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 11:02 PM   #4
BeardedAg08
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks for the advice. I have been using a harness when I climb and it does help. I think with time I will become more comfortable with tree stands. Do ya'll ever sit up in a big oak tree? There are a lot where I hunt (Atascosa county) but none of them are straight for a tree stand. This past weekend I just sat in the oak tree, it was not too bad, but I never saw any deer either.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default How do you hunt in the S. Texas brush country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedAg08 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have been using a harness when I climb and it does help. I think with time I will become more comfortable with tree stands. Do ya'll ever sit up in a big oak tree? There are a lot where I hunt (Atascosa county) but none of them are straight for a tree stand. This past weekend I just sat in the oak tree, it was not too bad, but I never saw any deer either.

Iím not fond of heights but I just use a 2 man ladder stand and wear a harness if Iím hunting a place with big trees. I donít like lock ons or climbers. Where I hunt in South Texas I think there may only be 2 trees on 550 acres that I could put a lock on in and no place to use a climber. I ended up setting up a 10 foot quad leg stand from Academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Black Ice; 01-01-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Black Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 11:31 PM   #6
Robertt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

I hunted in Bee county with lots of large old oaks. In the off season I built a couple of benches/stands in the fork of the tree out of 2"x 4" and 2"x 6" boards. Built ladders and the bench was wide enough and had a backrest so they were comfortable. I braced two 2"x 6" boards flat to stand on if I had to.
Robertt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 11:36 PM   #7
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

Wish I had trees. Mostly shrubs. I have a 6' tripod I tuck into the guajillo, cat claw or black brush.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 11:38 PM   #8
Jon B
Six Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

I am a bit scared of heights as well. I can deal with ladders stands and lock on stands. My climber is flat spooky...just scares me to death! Matter of fact.... anybody need one?
Jon B is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #9
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SouthTex

GB
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 12:31 AM   #10
BeardedAg08
Nubbin' Buck

Do y'all do well with tripods in the brush? Seems like deer would be able to see you easily 20 yards and in. If so i might have to give it a try because i own one. And i am hunting with my stalker coyote recurve, not a compound.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:33 AM   #11
BeardedAg08
Nubbin' Buck

What is GB?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:59 AM   #12
bk913
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tom Green county

Ground blind^. I'm hunting west TX mesquite trees so this may not help, but I can't seem to get up high enough for the deer to not know every time I'm there, especially late season when the leaves have dropped. Next year I'm switching everything to brush blinds and pop ups, yes you can't see as much but I'd rather kill deer than worry about my line of sight.
bk913 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 01:19 AM   #13
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

Try a ladder stand. They at least have rails on them you can brace your knee against when you stand up.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #14
Bisch
Pope & Young

When I hunted south, it was all mesquite except one area along a creek where there were some hackberries and elms. Most of our sets were permanent ground blinds where we could hunt even if the weather was bad. We also used tripods and ladder stands when we found a need, and had a few tree stands along the creek.

I have always tried to let the situation dictate what I would use. Ground blinds are my most favorite because of how well they hide me and I can hunt them even in bad weather. If itís nasty out, I donít hardly want to be out there nearly as bad as I used to!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #15
BeardedAg08
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I appreciate it. On the GBs, do you shoot through the mesh?
Old 01-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #16
Bisch
Pope & Young

I have shoot thru mesh on every one of my blinds!!!!

If your bow is tuned well, it will work just fine. You should not shoot thru the mesh at real sever angles, as the fletch will sometimes catch and screw your shot up. I learned that the hard way! The mesh will also rob you of about 10 minutes of shooting light. It is worth it to me to have the freedom of movement I have in my blinds.

Bisch

Old 01-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #17
BeardedAg08
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks Bisch!
Old 01-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #18
76aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co.

I have pretty much abandoned tripods or tree stands as of this year. I don't bounce as well as I used to. I have some ground blinds but I agree they can severely limit your view especially after you hit a deer and he runs. I recently bought a ghillie suit and an excellent lightweight and quality swivel stool. Gonna have to do some major trimming on the ghillie suit to get it compatable with my bows but I am really looking forward to using it in turkey season. I think I will be much more adaptable and hunt most anywhere with any wind as long as there is some cover, even less than you may imagine.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 06:39 AM   #19
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

I prefer to still hunt. My tripods are no good for recurve bows, the trees are too short and don't have enough vegetation for cover, and I absolutely will give up hunting before sitting in an oversize bag peering out of a small opening.

I was within a few yards of six or seven deer this year but couldn't get off a shot because every time there were two to five other deer tagging along. The odds of being able to draw a bow with that many eyes and ears on the lookout is pretty slim. I did finally find a buck that was alone and he now resides in the freezer. Next year I plan to carry pocket shears on hunts so that I can throw together some brush barriers to hide behind. My country is mesquite, white brush, and juniper. The deer can see through the white brush and about the only way the juniper will work is to find a bunch growing close enough together to carve out a hole between them and back into it. I prefer to still hunt in the mornings and sit next to a trail in the evening. Evenings have been the best for seeing deer as they are moving to food sources. It is a crap shoot in the morning on whether or not they have bedded down by the time there is enough daylight to see them.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #20
stickbow
Four Point

Hunt In: hebbronville, madisonville
Default south texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceodom View Post
If you like being up get a 7í tripod and back it into a tree. Put camo netting around behind you to break up your silhouette. Iíve also got the Mavericks, Krivo and Blind turtle ground blinds. They all work well.
this is about the sum of it. Still hunting can be effective down the edge of a sendero when the weather (need some wind, preferably x wind and moisture) but if your deer are highly managed like mine you have a tough time not getting busted. Rattling works but is tough to get everything to go your way. I find the tripod even cut down to 4 ft with netting both front and back works and is more fun than a box or pop up. south texas tripods makes the best long lasting most mobile and friendly to the long bow but they are very spendy. lastly making a nest in a living bush that you can cut the center out of is very effective and will last for seasons with a little trimming but that perfect bush in the perfect location is hard to find.... good luck
stickbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 06:29 AM   #21
Chuckfu
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Hebbronville

Tripods don’t work great for us either. There just isn’t enough cover.
I dug two holes this year and made a couple pit blinds. I can get them in close.
I like them and will dig a couple more this year.
Chuckfu is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #22
Bisch
Pope & Young

Pit blinds are awesome! We had 2 in Tilden. Iíve shot many critters from those two blinds!!!

But they are a lot of work if you are digging the holes with a shovel. If I had a machine to dig the holes, I would probably have all pit blinds!!!

Bisch

Old 01-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #23
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Heck I'd rent a mini track first.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #24
Chuckfu
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Hebbronville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Pit blinds are awesome! We had 2 in Tilden. Iíve shot many critters from those two blinds!!!

But they are a lot of work if you are digging the holes with a shovel. If I had a machine to dig the holes, I would probably have all pit blinds!!!

Bisch

We have a backhoe at the ranch. Ours a pretty large Iíd still be there wth a shovel.
I put pallets around the walls and shoved brush in them.
Standing in it my head is the only thing that sticks above ground.
Chuckfu is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #25
stickbow
Four Point

Default pit blinds

I really liked pit blinds i hunted in in africa years ago but i have been nervous about building them here in south texas because of the snakes and i just cant make myself buy the ranch king version. do you guys have any issues with snakes in your pits? how do you keep em out?
Old 01-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #26
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Ground blinds with shoot thru mesh. Hot in early season but you'll love them later in the season when it's cold and drizzling. Plus you can get away with movement and able to draw without spooking animals.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #27
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

I'd like to try a pit blind. Only problem is where I hunt you have about 6" of red clay dirt then a 12" layer of limestone rock bed across the entire ranch. I have a hard enough time getting a T post in below the barb.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 05:41 PM   #28
Evenin'only
Eight Point

Hunt In: Middle Concho

If I was hunting big oaks I would build a platform and have my shooting spot 15-20 yards out so I could shoot from a sitting position
Evenin'only is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #29
stickbow
Four Point

nothing beats a strap on in big oaks. wish i had some big oaks
Old 01-12-2019, 11:10 PM   #30
smokin feathers
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shelby san augustine n newton co

Get another vote for pit blind from me as well. Dug pit put hexagon wooden box on top with front fully open but shoot through netting stretched across it. Other set i like is oak with limbs to the ground and put cattle panel n brush it in and use burlap as well and cut some small shooting windows in it. Have stood up in them with deer at 10 yds and not get busted, after that would he a pop up
smokin feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top