Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age/Score. Does he have another year of growth in him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age/Score. Does he have another year of growth in him?

I think he can go 1 more year, but having severe second thoughts...Dimmit County. Saw him for 5 minutes tending to a doe this past weekend. Have him on camera last season...nothing so far this season until seeing him on hoof.
    Apologies for the neck cricks!
    Attached Files

Dang! You must have some really big deer to pass that guy up.

Comment

helluva deer. I wouldn't have been able to let him walk.

Comment

Originally posted by spro View Post
        Dang! You must have some really big deer to pass that guy up.
        He's in the top 5 that we know of and was a potential hit list buck, but I'm putting him at 6yrs old. We try to take them at 7+ unless we witness a huge jump that we don't think will happen again. I'm after a giant 12pt that we saw last year and have only one nocturnal photo of this year.

Comment

Is he an 11? Man I know you are used to letting them get to 7 but that dude is gonna score. Then again, it sure is fun trying to kill the biggest one on the place and it doesn’t sound like you think he is. I feel your pain!

Comment

Looks 6.5 to me. Great buck.

Comment

Looks fully mature to me. I would have taken him.

Comment

Feed him he will grow good luck !

Comment

It's a roll of the dice. A lot of factors will go into what he looks like next year. He may blossom further, decline, or even die post rut mortality. But if your heart is set on the big 12, you made the right decision.

Comment

If rainfall this year was below average, then excellent decision! If not, then still OK. He's not old enough looking to start downhill next year. If 2019 is a wet year, you'll be really glad you passed. If not, then shouldnt be that different than 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                      Is he an 11? Man I know you are used to letting them get to 7 but that dude is gonna score. Then again, it sure is fun trying to kill the biggest one on the place and it doesn’t sound like you think he is. I feel your pain!
                      Can you get him over 170? Yes he's an 11 with some great character on his brows. He's a trophy for sure by all measures, but I also think with that frame and how healthy his body looks, he could have a lot more in him next year
                      Last edited by DimmitCo; 12-18-2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                        It's a roll of the dice. A lot of factors will go into what he looks like next year. He may blossom further, decline, or even die post rut mortality. But if your heart is set on the big 12, you made the right decision.
                        Yep, think that's it. After seeing the big 12 on camera last year, there's only one deer I'm after

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
                          Can you get him over 170? Yes he's an 11 with some great character on his brows. He's a trophy for sure by all measures, but I also think with that frame and how healthy his body looks, he could have a lot more in him next year
                          Those pics are hard to score from but frame wise he will dang sure scare 170. Given your situation I think you made right call. Go kill that 12!

Comment

My first thought is 6.5. My second thought is you are taking a risk that he will still be around next year, so many things can happen.....

Comment

Unless another hunter on the place takes him or a poacher, next year he is a majestic old beast.
                              Score doesn’t make a trophy for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X