Shocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocking?

The video below was preached in 2002 at a Youth Conference and was labeled "shocking". I find it extremely sad that this type of message would be considered shocking among those who claim Christianity. The keyword here is "claim". I pray that many here will listen to this sermon if given the time. It is becoming an uncommon message in American Church today and is a message that needs to be heard....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuabITeO4l8"]Paul Washer - Shocking Message (full length) - YouTube[/ame]

People do not want to hear that. They want to make themselves feel good. They want ice cream sermons that go down smooth.

I didn't watch it all but he was getting after it in the beginning. Good for him.

Comment

Someone needs to tell this guy that there is something called the New Testament. All he needs to do is look at John 3:16 and try to tear that apart. He is living in the old testament and preaching fire and brimstone.
      The getting to heaven by faith and good deeds is not how it is and that is why his sermon is "shocking". Telling someone that if they accepted Christ in their life that they aren't going to Heavan unless they live a certain way is absolutely false.
      Yes, once someone becomes a Christian there should be a different way of life for that person. There should be a concise decision to live as Jesus did and repent when we fall short, which we all do.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
        Someone needs to tell this guy that there is something called the New Testament. All he needs to do is look at John 3:16 and try to tear that apart. He is living in the old testament and preaching fire and brimstone.
        The getting to heaven by faith and good deeds is not how it is and that is why his sermon is "shocking". Telling someone that if they accepted Christ in their life that they aren't going to Heavan unless they live a certain way is absolutely false.
        Yes, once someone becomes a Christian there should be a different way of life for that person. There should be a concise decision to live as Jesus did and repent when we fall short, which we all do.
        Huh? So they "should" live a different way....,but if they don't it's cool?
        Everybody gets a free pass to heaven I guess.
        Gotcha

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post

Gotcha
          Yes, Jesus was sent to Earth to preach the gospel and make disciples then to be hung on a cross, crucified for all of our sins. For those who believe in him will have eternal life, no ifs, ands, or buts. This is what the new Testament is all around and not how in the old testament that was legalistic in how sd someone gets into heaven.
          Please show me where if someone commits a sin, but they have accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, that they will go to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            Gotcha
            I watched a discussion about who gets into heaven recently between a Christian and an atheist.

Paraphrasing:

Atheist: So as long as you accept Jesus, no matter what you do on Earth, you can get into heaven?
            Christian: Yes.
            Atheist: There will be a lot of POS's in Heaven.
            Christian: Definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
              I watched a discussion about who gets into heaven recently between a Christian and an atheist.

Paraphrasing:

Atheist: So as long as you accept Jesus, no matter what you do on Earth, you can get into heaven?
              Christian: Yes.
              Atheist: There will be a lot of POS's in Heaven.
              Christian: Definitely.
              Exactly .

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                Yes, Jesus was sent to Earth to preach the gospel and make disciples then to be hung on a cross, crucified for all of our sins. For those who believe in him will have eternal life, no ifs, ands, or buts. This is what the new Testament is all around and not how in the old testament that was legalistic in how sd someone gets into heaven.
                Please show me where if someone commits a sin, but they have accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, that they will go to hell.
                Did you listen to it all? It seems like you are misinterpreting what was said. If you are familiar with Paul Washer, you would know his theology isn't what you are thinking it is. I also believe that someone who truly believes and follows Jesus will have eternal life... no if, and, or buts. The problem in mainstream modern Christianity is with our definition and understanding of the word believe, which has resulted in "easy believe-ism". A biblical belief that results in salvation doesn't stop with a "sinner's prayer". True belief is followed by repentance (a turning away from sin and self) and a changed life as a result of following Jesus. A life that is saved & transformed by God will produce evidence beyond merely a profession according to scripture. This is the point he made. He is not saying you have to perform works to be saved or follow the Law as in the Old Testament... to be saved. He is saying, as scripture teaches, that someone who truly is saved will produce fruit in their lives as the evidence. Too many are sold a bill of goods that if they just "pray this little prayer" they can get their ticket to heaven and go on and live their life for themselves, anyway they want. This is false teaching and is never taught in scripture. A true belief, a saving faith, radically transforms a person to be more like Christ as they grow in their walk.
                Last edited by Pineywoods; 10-21-2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Y'all need to get off the pulpit and go stick something with your bow.....

.....or eat a Snickers!

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                    Did you listen to it all? It seems like you are misinterpreting what was said.
                    I'm 20 minutes in and he is getting after them. I like when the crowd starts clapping and he says they are who he's talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                      I'm 20 minutes in and he is getting after them. I like when the crowd starts clapping and he says they are who he's talking about.
                      Yah, that probably won't get a preacher a lot of followers on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                        Too many are sold a bill of goods that if they just "pray this little prayer" they can get their ticket to heaven and go on and live their life for themselves, anyway they want.
                        I don't think they are sold it so much as the people attending want to hear that message. That pastor see's that his attendance increases when he preaches that way.

I think those people are actively looking for that message because it's hard to live like Jesus lived. No one likes hearing the things they like doing are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          I don't think they are sold it so much as the people attending want to hear that message. That pastor see's that his attendance increases when he preaches that way.

I think those people are actively looking for that message because it's hard to live like Jesus lived. No one likes hearing the things they like doing are wrong.
                          You are very right

Comment

Example - After 9/11 preachers screamed fire and hell. Lots of scared people who never went to church went that weekend. They were told Just say you believe and repent and be saved. Lots were "saved" that day but never went to church again. Were they saved?

Comment

Exactly. Theres more to it than just acceptance. Galatians is addressed directly to those who think they can just do whatever and not truly seek after God. We do fall short, but have power to choose to follow Christ and grow in His nature rather than continuing in our flesh. If we seek Christ, we live like Him and grow in Him. Had a teacher from barbados that put it this way... God loves you where you are. But he doesnt want you to stay there.

Itd be like if I married my wife but purposely put myself in situations to sleep with other women. Sure I'm technically married by law, but did I commit myself to her? That's why the old testament constantly refers to people like an adulterer. Even the demons acknowledge Christ. Doesn't save them, and the new testament sure wasted a lot of ink if all we had to do was say yes and go pur merry way doing whatever.
                              Paul put it great in Roman's, but that's another "tough" one for those that "claim"Christ.

Comment

Working...
                              X