Rheumatoid Arthritis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Ive got a SIL who claims she has RA. While I don't completely doubt it, I just don't see any symptoms. She quit a great job about 2 yrs ago (jr VP of major company) and hasn't worked full-time since. She was doing some part-time work, but now that has come to an end. She is now living in her mother's beach house and her mom is giving her money for just about everything. She flew to St.Louis for a visit last month and comes and goes as she pleases. Austin for three days and now she is entertaining a friend who flew in to visit her for a few days. I think she is a hypochondriac who is taking advantage of her mother and doesn't want to work because it gets in the way of her life. The rest of the family is slowing starting to doubt her now, but nobody will say anything to her. My question is for anyone who has RA. Can you work? Are there visible signs that you have it? What kind of symptoms or limitations do you have? I really hope that I am wrong to think what I do, but Im just not seeing any reason she cant work.

There are many types of RA, or just A for that matter. Some you can see, some you can't. Just depends on the type, joint(s) affected (if it's a bone type), and location(s). Many older peeps have it in the shoulders and hips. And sometimes have to have them cleaned up by an OS. Or even replaced. What hurts the worst is the stiffening and solidifying of the joint. And it can affect everyone differently. All depends on the individual. Me? I'm HLA-B27 positive. And have several ailments. But my back gives me the most difficulty. Hips and shoulders, and sometimes skin, second. I've also have had two bouts with my left eye. Here's a quick link from Wiki about it. See associated Pathology for other ailments associated with it.

Comment

My wife has it. She has medication that helps a bunch. Every so often she has a flare up that is very painful. Shes able to work and live a functional life.

Comment

Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease affecting the joints. My first flareup affected my hands so bad it would have been tough if I was still working. There is family history, so I was lucky to get diagnosed and on medication early. Left unchecked it can lead to disfiguring of the joints. I was on methotrexate to begin with and now my rheumatologist has me on Humira.

Does she have a family history of RA?
        Is she seeing a rheumatologist?
        On any drugs to treat it?

Comment

My mother in law has it bad . It’s going to eventually kill her . She has lost several toes . Ankles fused . Her fingers are completely sideways. She gets chemo treatments for hers . Rituxan is her chemo bad stuff for sure . So yes it can be a disabling disease .

Comment

No family history. She is on some kind of expensive drugs. I guess I wasn't too clear. She has been diagnosed, but no one has ever seen any symptoms - certainly nothing that would prevent her from working. Im wanting to know how RA effects others who have it. Lifestyle changes? Can you still work?

Comment

I have it in my back and sometimes I'm fine and other times not so much. When I have a flare up no way could I hold down a job. I am self employed with no employees so i'ts not a big deal.

Comment

She is in her early 50's and shows no plans to ever work again. Mother will have to support her until mom dies and she inherits enough to support herself.

Comment

You can’t see the symptoms from the outside

It can be a crippling disease without being able to see it from the outside

Most common intial pain is morning stiffness

New medications help a lot and allow majority of the people to work and live a normal life

Lupus is much more destructive due to the light sensitivity.

Comment

I had a friend, Sean Rouse, it killed him young. You can google him.

I had another friend that claimed to have it way back. That didn’t work out for him and he’s working hard to this day.

My belief is if you have it, everyone will know it. You can’t hide it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                      No family history. She is on some kind of expensive drugs. I guess I wasn't too clear. She has been diagnosed, but no one has ever seen any symptoms - certainly nothing that would prevent her from working. Im wanting to know how RA effects others who have it. Lifestyle changes? Can you still work?
                      Humira is extremely expensive if you don't have insurance. I could not shoot my bow, fish, or play guitar when it was acting up. Now that I'm on medication, I can do all three and could work if I had to.

Hogboy

Comment

I know two people personally that have it. One is on meds and the other has no insurance and manages it through diet. Both can be totally crippled up, but both are the hardest working women I know. One helps her husband build dog agility equipment 6-7 days a week, no matter how hot or cold it is. The other runs her own business and she is 60. Also works 6-7 days a week. Most days they don't have any outward symptoms. But occasionally knees swell up or hips lock up. Definite outward symptoms.
                        Your SIL may have it, but sounds to me like she is looking for an excuse to not work and live off others' hard work.

Comment

I'm 57 and was diagnosed with severe RA through blood work in 2008. I hurt all over and was taking 8-16 aspirins a day to alleviate the pain which didnt help. RA is powerful and debilitating. Symptoms are bone swelling like the on your wrist or elbow. I take Humira bi weekly along with Methotrexate weekly. in addition I also take vitamins. Per my doctor, RA is treated very aggressively nowadays. They throw every medication at it to slow it down, whereas before it was trial and error then you were disabled.If you saw me you would never think I had RA. The treatments work for me. No one in my family ever had RA that I know of.

Comment

Is she going to a Rheumatologist on a regular basis?

Comment

Before I got on Humira some days I felt like I was beaten with a bat! Medication helped tremendously. Humira Is super exspensive but i was able to get on a pay card they offer so only pay 5 bucks for the shots.

Comment

Working...
                              X