No announcement yet.

Advice needed on newly installed countertops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is this company based out of ? How many square feet of countertops? How many vanity undermount sinks ? Post the drawings if you can

Comment

ouch I don't think it looks that bad!

Comment

So is it normal for that color to have purple spots?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
          ouch I don't think it looks that bad!
          I don’t think I would want to except having to pay more
          It’s probably very beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
            Update:
            Just spoke with the counter company. They said those are the slabs that we picked and it’s what they installed.

We’ve got 3 options
            1) live with them....but now they want the remaining $15000 for the rest of the flooring job up front. They are worried we will get the floors installed and then say we aren’t paying the remaining balance because we hate the counters.
            2) pay out of pocket to have the counters removed and then pay for new counters
            3) Cut ties.. We’ve already paid them 15k as a down payment for materials. The counters are going to be close to 9k. So we will get 6k back, cut ties....but still be stuck with the purple counters
            Me personally.... I wouldn't be happy with purple spots at all, especially if I didn't know or expect there to be any purple spots in what I though were going to be grey/white countertops.

I wouldn't be happy at all with any of the 3 options they offered either. There are at least 3 other options:

4) Countertop supplier agrees that the colors were either misrepresented at the time the order was placed or the wrong counters were shipped and installed, so they make it right by replacing them with granite that doesn't have purple spots in it at no cost to you.

5) Countertop supplier agrees that they didn't install the same color as what they showed you that you were ordering, and they split the cost of replacing them with you.

6) Countertop supplier sticks to their first 3 offers, not helping you at all, so you cut ties with them and fight it out in small claims court while you move forward with another supplier for countertops and flooring.

Option 4 is the only good one. It sounds like it's also the one least likely to happen, unfortunately.

Comment

I see a lot of purple in the first slab picture, not much in the second one.

Do all of the tops have that much purple in them? Is it possible they made most of the cuts with the purple out of the first slab?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would be cool with it if the purple was in another spot instead of RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SINK. lol

That's why it looks messy IMO, it looks like droplets.
                BUT purple is my favorite color so... lol

Sorry you're having to deal with the whole cluster though... that does suck.

Comment

Having worked previously in countertop fabrication.... this is a very common complaint to deal with.

Things just look DIFFERENT in the lighting of your home and against the background colors of your kitchen. Full slab pictures just don’t have enough resolution, detail, or color accuracy to reliably avoid complaints.

Anything we fabricated that wasn’t out of our high volume varieties were always required to be hand selected. We even had people who hand picked the slabs, then personally approved the cutting layout within the slabs, then swore we swapped the slabs out on them upon install.

It really sucks that they didn’t verbally give you a heads up on specks of a color as drastic as purple, but if these are indeed the 4 slabs they sent you pictures of, you are probably screwed. I would argue with them about wanting the rest of the money upfront, but I understand their trepidations. We had several houses we had to put liens on to get our money back for similar situations.

Hopefully you guys come up with a satisfactory solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man that is a hard spot to be in. I don't think the counter top company was trying to mislead you. From the granite i have seen in that color those purple spots are pretty common. I hope you come up with a solution you're both happy with.

Comment

I have worked in the granite counter top business for the last 10 years and counter tops in general for about 25 years. Our company is big on customer satisfaction and we usually go above and beyond to make a customer happy, even if it comes out of the companies pocket. However, it sounds like you picked these slabs based on pictures only. If the company did indeed use those slabs, its a little unreasonable to ask the company to swap out on their dime. What i would do is ask to see the slabs that are remaining in that bundle. Your invoice should have the slabs' ID number on it that were used in your job. Go to their yard and look at the next slab in that sequence. If it does not have any purple spots, I would say you have a leg to stand on.

We always ask customers to view their slabs in person. Even if they picked it from photos given to us by our suppliers in Houston, we make them come look at the slabs once they arrive on our yard.

Comment

Sucks to hear for you. However, your contractor or granite guy should have lead you to quartz. It's the only thing that is light in color that looks like marble that is as tough as granite. Marble, travertine, etc is soft and damages easy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I’m not sure where this is going to go. Looks like we will have to chalk it up as a hard lesson learned. My biggest complaint is we were pretty adamant on having a grey / white color scheme..... I do not see how they just neglected to tell us that there is freaking purple splattered all throughout. I think the granite is beautiful and looks great from a distance......but it is not the look we wanted.

Comment

I would have it ripped out!!! Looks horrible!!!

Comment

Dang, that range/oven spot is GORGEOUS!

Comment

Funny how that first picture is taken from the side where those purple spots aren't noticeable. The rest of the photos are taken face on.

Comment

Working...
                                X