Lease Question - Honest Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease Question - Honest Opinion

Okay so here's the deal. I've been on a hill country lease going on 6 years now, been decent hunting but I'm at a crossroads with what to do. Here are the details.

$4k including feed, 3200 acres, 16 guys. 1 trophy buck (average 130s), spike, does, turkey and hogs. Lease is seasonal ... can only go in off season to feed. No exotics, no bow hunting, no duck or dove hunting, can only hunt Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No driving around midday to check cameras. No exceptions.

So here's my dilemma. Within the past 2 years I've gotten big into thermal hunting hogs and coyotes. We have 2 stands with 500yds of camp that are community stands and dedicated pig hunting stands. I was able to hunt hogs at night at either stand with no issues... now this year, 1 week before the season started the lease manager (not landowner) forged a new "no night hunting" rule. Said it was putting too much pressure on the deer. We hunt 5 square miles.

Well this gave me some serious heartburn since I honestly enjoy hog hunting at night just as much as I do sitting in a deer stand looking at a feeder.

I'm about to call it quits and move on, have gotten into it a few times with the lease manager about the rule and reasoning being BS, but what do yall think? Am I overreacting? Just feels like there are more rules than things to do and it has taken a lot the fun out of being on a lease.

If it isn't fun, get out. Life's too short.

Comment

Its ur dime, do what u want.

Comment

If it was me I think I would leave but I pay less than half that amount to hunt in the Hill country.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
          Pretty much sums it up

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

This Xs 2

Comment

The no bow hunting and only being able to hunt on Fri,Sat,and Sun would have been enough for me to be done. Especially for that kinda $!

Comment

If it ain’t what you want move on

Comment

I wouldn’t want it on my lease during season. In fact no night hunting during season has been a rule on more than a couple leases I have been on. People are there to deer hunt during season and regardless of size rounds going off through the night it will have an effect on the deer within proximity to that area. 3200 acs. with 16 guys is tight as it is at 200 acs.
                  a hunter. I suspect the lease boss just assumed it was a given there would be no night hunting during season so the rule was not in writing. I also suspect he is getting a earful from other paying members and had to act.

I guess I should note I was focused on the night hunting. I would not have been on a lease with those additional rules to start with.

Comment

Agreed. Only reason I'm torn is because I'm on it with my FIL and good friends, which makes it tons of fun when not hampered by the **** rules.
                    Last edited by BobbyJoe; 12-06-2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I will add... I said I'd be okay with the no night hunting rule if I could bow hunt during the general season. That was met with a hard no.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                        The no bow hunting and only being able to hunt on Fri,Sat,and Sun would have been enough for me to be done. Especially for that kinda $!
                        Yeah me too .. I work 2 weekends a month and I'm not driving out for a 3 day weekend..

Comment

No night hunting or joy riding during deer season are 2 of our only rules. Maybe the other guys don't appreciate gunfire at night within 500 yards of camp.

The only hunting Friday-Sunday would have kept me from getting on to begin with.

Good luck, hope you find a better fit.

Comment

Agree with both of these

Tried double quote so see post 18.
                            Last edited by kruppa24; 12-06-2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Good advice so far. Just to put it in perspective too, I hunted last year and only shot 3 times total over the course of 3 months. 2 hogs and a coyote. We're not overrun by any means - I just enjoy being in the woods. Day or night.

Comment

Working...
                              X