Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Archers - what distance do you shoot animals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archers - what distance do you shoot animals?

Good morning:

My son and I are beginning bow hunters. He hunts with a bow, and I hunt with a crossbow. Neither of us have killed anything but targets at this time, but hope to change that soon. As beginners, we've seen how quickly an arrow loses speed over distance - particularly noticeable at 40 yards for both bow and crossbow. Thus, my son and I don't plan to shoot further than about 35 yds. in an effort to make a clean and humane kill.

The other day, I caught the last few minutes of a deer hunting show on TV. The hunter, made a beautiful shot on a large whitetail buck from his tree stand. The flight time for the arrow seemed to be quite long, and the deer didn't flinch or act like he was hit or injured. It ran about 50 yds., and then laid down and died. The hunter then said he made the shot from 54 yds. away. By the way the deer acted, I think he made a perfect heart shot.

So my question to you veteran bow hunters is - what distance do you recommend shooting animals? Additionally, what is the furthest distance you would consider shooting an animal with a bow or crossbow.

Your input and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

This is always a tenuous topic here. 1.2 million hunters, 1.2 million different ethical and comfortable distances. Put in practice time and find the right distance to be comfortable. My shot distance when I first started was much shorter than now just because of time and practice.

Comment

I wouldn't shoot at a deer over 40 yards. I have taken one shot at a buck at 37 yards...shot right under him. I thought he would drop into the shot, but he stood dead still the whole time. I don't like shooting longer distances because I feel the deer have too much time to react to the shot. I like the 20 yard ones the best. Although, it seems every deer I have shot with my bow has been at about 10-12 yards. Really close.

Comment

I like shooting them when I can see their eyelashes! 40 yards max for me on a WT.

Comment

With a compound, I would suggest you try and keep all of your shots under 20 yards until you’ve killed a few deer. There is a pretty steep learning curve when shooting on live game. Then, maybe work your way towards 30yards, assuming you can shoot really well under pressure. Practice out to 60 yards and those close shots will seem easy.

As for the crossbow, I don’t have any experience. I will say that bow hunting is all about getting close to your game. It’s way more fun when you can hear them crunching on corn!

Comment

If you are starting out I would keep shots 20-25 yards max. My wife and stepson are beginners and I like their shots in the 12-20 yard range. If hunting deer from stands in Texas there is no reason to shoot further. Instead work on stand placement, staying still and being quiet. There is so much to learn in the beginning that closer is better. When you have a few hundred kills under your belt the distances definitely get longer but it's not always better.

Comment

Your going to get all differant kinds of answers , get your pop corn ready. I feel very confident out to 30 yards, prefer 20, and don't think I have shot at an animal past 40 for a very very long time. I practice out to sixty, and if the stars are aligned I shoot ok . But just the slightest flaw and iam out of the " kill zone". And with the adrenaline flowing and an animal maybe moving before the arrow gets there, no way. And the whole point of archery hunting is getting close, it's very cool sneaking in within 20 yards of an animal and just watching it get to that point. I dont sit in a blind of any kind, spot and stalk is all I have ever done. Welcome to the " rush".
              Last edited by critter69; 10-23-2017, 07:05 AM.

Comment

I use 1 pin, sighted for 20 yards.
                If they are farther than 20, I let them walk.

Comment

20 yards

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
                    With a compound, I would suggest you try and keep all of your shots under 20 yards until you’ve killed a few deer. There is a pretty steep learning curve when shooting on live game. Then, maybe work your way towards 30yards, assuming you can shoot really well under pressure. Practice out to 60 yards and those close shots will seem easy.
                    This...

Comment

Since you're new you should consider going to the next International Bowhunter Education Program (IBEP) course in your area.

As for your shot distances try to keep it really close, shooting at game can be very different than targets for some people and small "errors" on the part of the shooter really add up at longer ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As a new hunter, 20 max

Comment

25 yards and closer

Comment

Like to try and keep it 20 yards and less, but I have kill a lot of deer at 30 and one at 58 yards, like to keep it 10 to 30, just try and remember to keep calm when you pull the trigger, it's a lot different shooting at a live animal then a target. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                              As a new hunter, 20 max
                              Exactly my thoughts. I did the same when I first started. My longest shot was this years opening weekend and she was at 51 yds. Resulted in a little far back but dead doe nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                              X