No announcement yet.

fort worth ex officer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My heart truly goes out to the family in this mess. I suspect the child/nephew will be traumatized for life as will the family. Just unfathomable to fully conceive that this happened on a non 911 call for a welfare check. The sheriff is to be applauded as his actions/decisions were effective, efficient and not eternal in the making.

Comment

Sad situation.

Where did our thread on Margarita Brooks go? Surely someone started one?

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...233438282.html

Comment

fort worth ex officer?

Originally posted by cgny27 View Post
        I feel like the City of FTW acted appropriately and swiftly...justice will be served and maybe that can help show there's faith in our system....

While the body cam footage doesn’t look good for him, I think Mayor Price was way out of line saying some of the things she said in her statement given the ongoing investigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Mike D; 10-15-2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

you couldnt pay me enough to be a cop...its a no win job...

He didnt go there to murder her...just stupid..

negligent homicide

Comment

Now the nephew is saying she got a gun out of her purse & pointed it @ the window, after hearing noises outside. I really don't think this will make a difference, though. She was doing nothing illegal & the LEO never said he was LEO. I would've done almost the same thing she did (I'd of gotten a gun but I wouldn't have been seen by someone outside my home).

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              It will be interesting to hear their explanation. Reportedly it was just a simple welfare check call - not a crime in progress like a burglary. I am not familiar with proper police protocol on a call like that but it seems odd to this civilian that they would handle it the way they did.
              Not hearing the 911 call or the way it was dispatched...

It was a burglary in progress. Hearing the way the call was dispatched can definitely change my mind but from experience, that is what I see in their response... it was an in progress burglary. It is probably the same way that I would have perceived that call for service.

Actually listening to the call dispatched might clear up the speculation.

The officers have to respond to the information given, not what a citizen thinks he sees or what dispatcher titles the call.

The approach by the officers was not wrong. The response to the perceived threat was terribly wrong.

I am thinking of different calls that I have made over many years where my and other officers’ responses did not match the words given on the radio. On one call it was given by the dispatcher as a suspicious situation. In the afternoon a neighbor called about 3-4 men were seen going into the front door of a home with one or two of them carrying a package. Later one of the men came out on the porch and looked around and went back inside. The neighbor didn’t recognize the men but that was all of the information. For some reason the neighbor called the police. Daylight, nothing seen except some guys that weren’t recognized.

I wasn’t far away and started heading toward the call even though I wasn’t dispatched. A couple of other officers were sent. I don’t usually try to give opinions on the radio but in this case I told the responding officers not to drive to the house and don’t even get on that street. Go one street north and park there and meet me to walk in. One officer said that he was almost out on the call, basically disregarding me. The on duty lieutenant had no idea what I was doing but trusted my experience and he ordered them not to approach the house. We went to an alternate channel and asked what was happening. I said two words... home invasion.

At the time we had been having home invasions by Vietnamese. They would hold people hostage while robbing gambling parties or well to do families that had their own businesses like restaurants or shrimp boats. I met with the officers and we walked in cautiously and the neighbor’s “suspicious people” in broad daylight in a fairly quiet neighborhood was.... a home invasion with shots having already being fired in the home. The bad guys had actually been gone about a minute before we arrived, probably about the time the neighbor was making the original call to report something suspicious. No one in the house was hurt and the bad guys fired shots to get the homeowner’s attention. It worked...

But the point is, the neighbor had no clue, the dispatcher had no clue and even the less experienced officers responding had no clue. Had we gotten the call a minute or so earlier, the officers might have walked into an ambush which was my biggest fear or caused a hostage standoff.

Because the citizen calling doesn’t know certain crime clues or use police terminology, we can’t take chances when experience or the situation says otherwise.

These officers were (I think) sent to an open door at night. It was suspicious enough for the neighbor to call. Walking up the sidewalk to the front door might have caused an officer’s death or like my call, a hostage.

I don’t think the officers approaching cautiously was the problem. One officer’s response was.

In my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                If they would've gone to the front door, knocked on the door & announced themselves, we wouldn't be talking about this. That was a huge mistake on a welfare check.
                .... or we could be discussing another dead officer.

20/20 hindsight is awesome.

Comment

It's a bad situation regardless of the outcome and regardless of what transpired. Prayers to those involved.

Comment

I would not be a bit surprised if the former officer commits suicide. This is a full tragedy on all perspectives.

Comment

A Texas woman was shot dead by a Fort Worth police officer through the window of her home after she heard noises outside late at night and picked up her handgun, the officer's arrest warrant showed on Tuesday.

Atatiana Jefferson, 28, was playing video games with her 8-year-old nephew around 2:30 am on Saturday when she heard noises in her backyard, according to the warrant for former Fort Worth Police Officer Dean Aaron's arrest for alleged murder.

The noises were Dean and his partner creeping around the back of her home after they were called to investigate why her front door was open.

Dean resigned on Monday before he was fired for breaching a string of police policies in shooting Jefferson dead with a single shot, according to Fort Worth Police Chief Ed Kraus.

Jefferson's death brought outraged calls for an investigation into Fort Worth Police, whose officers are accused by her family's lawyer, Lee Merritt, of fatally shooting seven people in under six months.

"She heard noises coming from outside, and she took her handgun from her purse," Jefferson's nephew told police, according to the warrant. His name was redacted from the warrant.

"Jefferson raised her handgun, pointed it toward the window, then Jefferson was shot and fell to the ground," the warrant said.

Dean's partner, identified as Officer Darch, said she could see Jefferson when Dean shot her.

"She could only see Jefferson's face through the window when Officer Dean discharged his weapon," the warrant said.

The officers did not knock on the front door of the home or announce they were police before Dean fired his weapon, according to Kraus.

"It makes sense she would have a gun if she felt threatened or if there was someone in the backyard," Kraus said, ending a press conference after eight minutes as he grew emotional talking about the impact of the killing on police morale.

Fort Worth has called in an independent panel of experts to evaluate the police department after the shooting.

Jefferson was killed the same month another former Texas police officer, Amber Guyger, was convicted of murdering Botham Jean, a black man, as he sat in his home eating ice cream.

Jefferson's family has called for the swift prosecution of Dean, who was arrested on Monday and posted bond overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                        .... or we could be discussing another dead officer.

20/20 hindsight is awesome.
                        No, we wouldn't have. Your speculation in different scenarios is just that, speculation and different scenarios.

If he would have walked up to the front door, while using a little caution we would have had no story.

Comment

The whole deal is sad. From what I heard the chief say, the dispatch was sent out as an open structure not a welfare check. So the officer response is different. Don’t think it’ll matter for the officer though. I don’t know how they’d charge him with murder, doesn’t that require intent? I can see manslaughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it was dispatched as a robbery in progress or something similar, I can definitely understand the tactics of their response. If it was dispatched as a non-emergency check on an open door, then it seems that the officers' response didn't make sense. If she pointed a gun at someone prowling around in her back yard, I can understand that. That would definitely make it harder for the officer to keep his cool too.

Hindsight is always 20/20 for sure. Regardless of all the details, it truly sucks for everyone involved, especially the lady that lost her life. Sucks bad for the officer as well. Multiple lives ruined in that spit second. Just sad.

Comment

Sad sad sad. It seems like this could have been prevented. I would really like to hear what other officers believe proper procedure would be when responding to an "open structure". the news that her nephew said she pulled a gun out of her purse seems very relevant but not sure it really changes anything.

remember when cops didn't wear body cams?

And to over simplify this and the Guyger case - could both have been prevented if ONLY two people had fully closed their front door(s)!!??

Comment

Wow...had not read she had a gun. What a tragedy.

I cannot imagine the grief for the family or the officer.

Comment

Working...
                                X