No announcement yet.

Fairfield lake sp antlerless spike youth hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son was drawn for the Dec 30-1 hunt. I saw it is assigned stands and you can bait. What's a good bait for that time of the year that won't bring in the pigs?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lurchy View Post
      My son was drawn for the Dec 30-1 hunt. I saw it is assigned stands and you can bait. What's a good bait for that time of the year that won't bring in the pigs?

Don't know that exists LOL any critter that will eat diesel soaked corn will eat just about anything I guess. I have been lucky enough to attend the youth hunt there the last 2 years, just use regular corn and pray deer find it before the hogs do.

Comment

Lol, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Just shoot the hogs aswell as deer. That's what my daughter will do.

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
            Anyone been on a youth hunt at fairfield lake sp? Daughter won the second draw and looking for info. Not much when I used the search function. Thanks.
            My 2 boys got drawn for that hunt about 2 years ago. We reported to the check-in station at the park on the day of the hunt by about 11:00am. You draw for blinds, then park personnel lead you to your spot. From then on, you can come and go as you please but they ask that you check in and out with the office. The blinds consist of cattle panels bent in a u-shape with cedar limbs piled around. You will need to bring chairs and if you want to bring a pop-up blind, they will allow you to set 1 up nearby. Baiting is allowed so be sure to bring plenty of corn. The maximum shot distances were 50-75 yard due to the thick woods. The folks running the hunt are extremely accommodating. Since I had 2 boys and was the only adult with them, they were able to place us in blinds that were close together and they allowed my 15yr old to hunt solo since he had completed hunter’s ed. I hunted with the younger. We saw groups of doe on 2 occasions but there was never a clear shot. My oldest had a nice spike step out and he was able to harvest him. I would guess that there were maybe 25 youth that hunted then and about half got a deer. I remember only seeing 1 or 2 pigs that were killed. We used J&S processing which is only about 15 minutes from the park, but we had terrible service. I never did get everything that I paid for and the venison I did get was obviously not mine because it was already freezer-burned on the edges. Supposedly they are under new management now so who knows. We camped in the park in tents which was a really neat experience since the park is closed and we had it mostly to ourselves.
            Holler if you have any questions. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clyde_G View Post
              My 2 boys got drawn for that hunt about 2 years ago. We reported to the check-in station at the park on the day of the hunt by about 11:00am. You draw for blinds, then park personnel lead you to your spot. From then on, you can come and go as you please but they ask that you check in and out with the office. The blinds consist of cattle panels bent in a u-shape with cedar limbs piled around. You will need to bring chairs and if you want to bring a pop-up blind, they will allow you to set 1 up nearby. Baiting is allowed so be sure to bring plenty of corn. The maximum shot distances were 50-75 yard due to the thick woods. The folks running the hunt are extremely accommodating. Since I had 2 boys and was the only adult with them, they were able to place us in blinds that were close together and they allowed my 15yr old to hunt solo since he had completed hunter’s ed. I hunted with the younger. We saw groups of doe on 2 occasions but there was never a clear shot. My oldest had a nice spike step out and he was able to harvest him. I would guess that there were maybe 25 youth that hunted then and about half got a deer. I remember only seeing 1 or 2 pigs that were killed. We used J&S processing which is only about 15 minutes from the park, but we had terrible service. I never did get everything that I paid for and the venison I did get was obviously not mine because it was already freezer-burned on the edges. Supposedly they are under new management now so who knows. We camped in the park in tents which was a really neat experience since the park is closed and we had it mostly to ourselves.

Thanks for the info!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've fished the lake a few times, for reds and talopia. And camped there. Seen plenty of deer run through camp, and pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurchy View Post

Try alfalfa.

Comment

My son an I went on that hunt in 2014. I took a popup but had to set it up behind the ground blind already there. We didn't see anything until the last morning. A button buck showed up and my son shot him, his first deer. We put out a lot of corn in the shooting lane.

Comment

Did all the kids show up for your segment? I know the harvest used to be higher. 2 years ago there were 9 deer harvested for all hunt segments, last year just 4 deer, the tpwd stats are published on their website.

Comment

I’m not sure if they all showed up but I do know there was a group of kids there for standby that all got selected. I talked to one of the dads and he said they have come the last few years for standby and they got to hunt each time.

Comment

I’m not sure if they all showed up but I do know there was a group of kids there for standby that all got selected. I talked to one of the dads and he said they have come the last few years for standby and they got to hunt each time.
                          I think I know who your talking about, he was a little "off". I heard last year they caught him walking around with a second gun and sent him home, not a good example to set for the youth he was with.

Comment

Working...
                          X