• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going on the list.

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Glad there is interest. When you read about this battle you realize just how brutal this was. I texted Clay and let him know that there’s interest in his book. I also clarified some answers for you guys. Below is his response regarding the graves:

In all, about 1100 Americans were killed in the 76-hr battle, virtually all Marines. After the war, Army Graves was able to recover around half of them, and around 100 were confirmed buried at sea. The military gave various stories to families, so the fact that hundreds, probably 400+, were ‘lost’ sort of went down the memory hole. In Cemetery 27, the trench where my gf was buried, there were a total of 40 buried, including 16 listed as ‘unknowns.’ We recovered nearly completed remains for 33, plus partial for 4 (there was a disturbed area where some had been removed for construction at some unknown time).

He also corrected me his gf was killed on day three.... 11/22/43.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
          I wanted to reach out here and give everyone heads up of a new book written by my AT hiking friend Clay Bonnyman Evans. Clay’s grandfather was 1 of 3 who received the Medal of Honor during the Battle of Tarawa back in November of 1943. For those of you who do not know, the Battle was a 3 day all out assault of a heavily defended island in the Pacific.

The book is about his grandfather (who was awarded posthumously) and how Clay went to Tarawa and exhumed his grandfather’s bones. Clay shared the details with me as we hiked. It seems like the kind of book some TBhers might like.

[ATTACH]913841[/ATTACH]

The book is now available July 3rd!
          Just downloaded my copy from Google Play. Thanks. .....and did you complete the AT? I have a friend that finished it recently. Took him 2 trips due to an injury.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like it is a book to read thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
              Just downloaded my copy from Google Play. Thanks. .....and did you complete the AT? I have a friend that finished it recently. Took him 2 trips due to an injury.

Yes I did. I went from GA to ME from April 5 - Sept 28 (2016). There was a live thread on here that I posted to during second half of hike. I was very lucky the entire hike I didn’t have a single injury other than a strained leg muscle in Pennsylvania for about a week. I went slow and steady the entire time.

I hiked with Clay (the author) early on. He was a faster hiker but I would see him now and again because he had to get off the trail for something relating to the book? So I caught up to him again at one point.

Comment

Pre-Ordering the Audio Book now too !!!
                Sounds like a great book to read...
                Thank you for letting us know about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                  Yes I did. I went from GA to ME from April 5 - Sept 28 (2016). There was a live thread on here that I posted to during second half of hike. I was very lucky the entire hike I didn’t have a single injury other than a strained leg muscle in Pennsylvania for about a week. I went slow and steady the entire time.

I hiked with Clay (the author) early on. He was a faster hiker but I would see him now and again because he had to get off the trail for something relating to the book? So I caught up to him again at one point.
                  Kudos! I only dream of doing it. PCT also. Stupid job...... My buddy took a sabbatical from work (twice) to get it done.

Comment

I certainly didn’t make a lot of money the year I hiked, but there’s so much more important things in life than making money. That being said I prepared for the hiatus for a long time and seriously bought very little “things” leading up to and right after the hike. Since then I have slipped back into the buy mode . Hiatus was both good and bad, I came back energized and made up for the lost income very quickly .

PCT is on my bucket list as well! I did a 2 1/2 week hike on the Jon Muir Trail last summer which is basically 220 miles of the PCT . All I can say is it’s absolutely beautiful in the Sierras. I know several people who I met on the AT who are on the PCT this summer ....for some of these hikers they don’t let money or work get in the way of anything. As they say on the trail...hike your own hike. I prefer a little more responsible wanderlust .

Comment

Bakin.... at the risk of hijacking my own thread I have to add ... AT was on my bucket list for 20+ years. If you’re committed to something like this you’ll know when the time is right! Even if the time doesn’t seem right to everybody else you know . In fact when you declare intention to do something like this, most of the people you know are gonna think you’re crazy. there were lots of people older than me out there but most of those people came from states like Maine and New Hampshire and hiked a lot . My Point is don’t wait too long!

Comment

I Thought I would bring his thread back up now that I have had the chance to read the book. Very good read about an American hero! I found the best part of the book was help play went into discussing the different accounts of how his grandfather earned the middle of honor and how he went in depth about telling the reader about his grandfather beyond the day he died . We tend to remember a medal of honor recipient only for the act which results in the recognition but in clays book the reader finds out much more about the person . You also get the feeling that in a battle liked her way nobody really has a clear picture of exactly what went on. Great read.

Click image for larger version

Name:	69233280-2192-47C8-8E54-9F402C8CFBD9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	24547047

Comment

I just bought it. Can't wait to read it.

Comment

Just bought it on amazon. should get it Friday.

Comment

TBH'rs,
                              The Joint Task Force Full Accounting /Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command/CILHI takes volunteers to do SOME of these recovery missions. The POW/MIA colors are a very real command in our military. At times we could have 45 teams deployed at the same time. I got the honor to return 50 brothers back to their families during my assignment. Honestly the most humbling and rewarding experience of my entire 21yr career.

Comment

Downloaded off of Amazon

Comment

Working...
                                X