No announcement yet.

Second Dwelling Unit Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My question about the framing, wasn’t to beat you up. I noticed the corners didn’t have nailers on each side. Where your inner walls met the outer walls also didn’t have any. Note : I hate trying to explain stuff by typing it out. My background is : from a freshman in high school til I was 28, I was on the job site working. My family had a construction business. I have done everything from digging trenches for forms to trim out. My intentions were to help. When I go back into a home , my eyes are all over the place , picking it apart or saying, wow , nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      It’s always driven me nuts to watch something get built and see stupid work arounds that didn’t have to happen if there was integrated design and people didn’t get in the way of information sharing.
      And they wind up with a scrap pile in the front yard the size of a large pickup. The waste in new residential, and commercial construction is abhorent.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
        My question about the framing, wasn’t to beat you up. I noticed the corners didn’t have nailers on each side. Where your inner walls met the outer walls also didn’t have any. Note : I hate trying to explain stuff by typing it out. My background is : from a freshman in high school til I was 28, I was on the job site working. My family had a construction business. I have done everything from digging trenches for forms to trim out. My intentions were to help. When I go back into a home , my eyes are all over the place , picking it apart or saying, wow , nice job.
        I didn't take it that way at all. Like I said-- more eyes catch more stuff and I'm always open to take look and reconsider things. Bottom line I want the best product I can produce-- energy and space efficient, thought out, low waste, etc.
        If you're interested, my alternative ideas on framing started with studying Optimum Value Engineering (OVE) framing and the benefits and trade-offs. One major downside to using alternative methods is you have to have a knowledgeable crew and oversight to make sure it gets done right. In this case the guy designing it and laying it out in AutoCAD and the one pounding the nails are one and the same, so I don't have that issue.
        FYI on the corners I use "California corners," which is a one-stud solution vs. two and I hang the drywall with clips between the backers-- kind of a belt and suspenders method, but the clips are cheap.
        Last edited by meltingfeather; 07-06-2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

The problem, as I see it playing out here, is the guy swinging the hammer on this project is also the guy that researched and designed this project, and is just a tad bit smarter than your typical framer and typical framers just can’t understand there are better, more efficient ways than the way Uncle cletus taught them back I. 1984.[emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Great, well thought out build.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Enjoying the build, keep us updated!

Comment

Awesome, keep the pictures coming

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                The problem, as I see it playing out here, is the guy swinging the hammer on this project is also the guy that researched and designed this project, and is just a tad bit smarter than your typical framer and typical framers just can’t understand there are better, more efficient ways than the way Uncle cletus taught them back I. 1984.[emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Great, well thought out build.[emoji106]

Lol! 100%

Comment

Been following on my phone, looks great. On my pc now and was wondering, "do they have earthquakes in Austin?' I promise I was. That is one solid unit Sir. Nice work. I waste more wood than that building a picnic table :-)

Comment

Looks great! I like the well thought out plan, and minimal waste! Keep it up, looking forward to the final stages.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                      Yes jacks coming for sure. We ran short on timber (didn’t account for all the braces) and I have to finish a few things including the jacks and bottoms of the rough openings before these walls are done.
                      The thing you probably think looks odd is that the headers run past the jack to the next full stud instead of stopping at a king stud set next to the jack. This makes the wall stiffer, reduces a tad of material, and keeps the spacing all even so every full sheet of sheathing lands exactly where it is supposed to. I’m happy to talk about it— the more specific the better. “Looks odd” doesn’t tell me anything. “Aren’t you going to use jacks” does.
                      Conventional framing is “designed” so as not to need design. It is super conservative. There is so much extra material just so framers and inspectors don’t have to think/check too much.
                      Also, all these walls are glued to 15/32 RTD plywood sheathing. Super stout.
                      That all makes sense, especially when you said you were adding in the jacks. Thanks for ‘splaining.

Comment

My first hip roof went up today without a hitch.
                        It’ll be dried in by Saturday.

Comment

Framed with 2x8 to get R30 with open cell spray foam because part of the ceiling will be vaulted.
                          Spending money to use the misfit windows from our lake house but it’ll be nice to have more light from a vaulted gable dormer in the master bedroom.

Also for the framing guy you can see a “California corner” in this photo— one of the hallmarks of OVE framing. Still haven’t finished the rough openings but you can see the jacks now under the window headers.

Comment

Ok? Where is the “California” corner? Looking good [emoji106]

Comment

Finally got a little shade on the 2nd floor!

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
                                Ok? Where is the “California” corner? Looking good [emoji106]

On the right side of the photo— it’s the only interior corner pictured. Looks like a ladder.

Comment

Working...
                                X