X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get them inside 10 yds.....no way to miss

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
      That’s a pretty good poke at a whitetail if he knows you are there or looking your direction. I have always felt like 25-40 yards was the worst for string jumping. I have shot a couple whitetails at 50 yards and they just stood there and took it.
      I agree with this.... for me 30-40 yards is a no-go if the deer is alert... close enough for them to hear/sense the shot, but far enough that they can move a bunch.

Comment

First buck I ever shot at with a bow was broadside facing left. At the shot he dropped and wheeled away putting his head where his vitals were. Hit him at the base of his right antler, demolished my broadhead. He ran about 150 yards then stopped and shook his head several times. He probably had a headache but was no worse off when he left than when he showed up.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang! Better luck next go Piney.

Comment

I haven't had it happen, yet. I'm sure my time will come.

I feel for yall. What a crappy experience.

Comment

That's why he is big and caught your attention! great story thanks for sharing.

Comment

I’m sure it goes without saying, but, they are not “ducking”. They are loading their hind legs to get the heck out of Dodge!

Comment

After bowhunting for many years on public land you kind of get a feel for a deer's body language and how "high strung" they are. Some will just turn inside out at the sound of the shot, and it always helps to have as quiet a bow as possible. I've taken 15 yd shots at deer that were super spooky looking right at me, but wouldn't take one any further on a deer that was on to me. I new they were going to duck, and I knew were to aim(and I had an itchy trigger finger that morning), and needed to put some meat in the freezer). If there on high alert you can get away with aiming right at the heart(if the angle is right), even bottom heart depending on distance. You got to know where your arrows going. If the deer doesn't move you got a heart shot, If they duck to the extreme, you still, in the worst case would probable spine them. Again, it's best just to be patient and wait for a nice calm deer that's not on high alert and just zip one through them when there clueless......It all comes from time in the tree and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by rbsears View Post
                    I’m sure it goes without saying, but, they are not “ducking”. They are loading their hind legs to get the heck out of Dodge!

Comment

"Wired to hunt" podcast had Mark druy on episode 292 about the art of shooting. i recommend a listen. 37yds is a long way on whitetail.

Mark said anything after 22 yards can get crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by mjbtexas View Post
                        "Wired to hunt" podcast had Mark druy on episode 292 about the art of shooting. i recommend a listen. 37yds is a long way on whitetail.

Mark said anything after 22 yards can get crazy.
                        I'd say it all depends on the deer's body language and how good of shot you are. 22 yards really isn't that far, and todays bows are fast and quiet. Some of the distances guy's are taking Muleys with Archery gear is pretty ridiculous.

Comment

My best buck I shot last year was at 20 yards and ducked himself into a spine shot. Backflip and struggles helped him make it about 10 yards. Just so happened to work in my favor. Had more instances that did not work out that way.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Check out this video .... I found it to me be very helpful.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWXWUBWSszk"]Jumping the String | New Research to Improve Bow Hunting Success (#462) @GrowingDeer.tv - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                            X