Polaris ranger help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaris ranger help

So let me break this down. I have a 2019 1000 xp Northstar Edition. I noticed a while back that the inside of the drivers side front tire was wearing pretty bad. I noticed the toe was way off so I set the toe to as straight as I possibly could and it did not help much. I dug a little deeper and found that the same tire is leaning in at the top maybe 1/4 inch from square, the passenger side is leaning out at the top maybe 1/8 of an inch. There is no excessive noise/clunks/ rattles or squeaking.

Here is what I have done so far to try and find out why.

Jacked the front end up and checked the wheel bearings with the 12 and 6 shake as well as the 9 and 3.

Put a pry bar under each tire and listen for loose/worn parts making noise.

Pulled the front tires and took the shock loose and pushed the upper and lower A Arms in every direction.

Pre loaded the shocks.

rotated the front tires and checked square again ( they did the identical lean as before )

Checked tie rod ends.

Visually inspected the A Arms to be bent ( upper and lower )

Inspected the axels by rotating the hub and looking for a bend or bow.

None of the above revealed any kind of loose or worn part.

I know Polaris is known for the tires to lean in a little from the way they are designed and that there is no camber adjustment on a stock model. I am at a dead end trying to find the problem. Anyone have the same issue/s

Buddy of mine on same ranch had his lug bolts sheared off due to similar issue. He's had nothing but problems with his since day 1. It's a beast and gets abused, but constantly in the shop.

Comment

So they are both leaning the same way? Hmmm

My back wheel’s definitely lean in a bit towards the machine. Have you checked the PRC forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Run your finger and hand down the lower A-arms. We had one bent a while back. hard to notice without feeling it or measuring it. Turns out kid that works on the ranch ran into post with it. I could see it happening from hitting a pot hole reel bad. Granted these where arched Aarms and IMO the seem weaker as they are formed already. FWIW he leveled a 2-3/8 post concreted in the ground so IMO the ranger took it pretty dang good.

i would also call a shop and see what recommended toe in is. I would bet you should be 1/4-1/8 in toe in.

Between me and my dad we have had a bunch of rangers so ive been through them.

Comment

Do the A arms measure same from one side to the other or appear to be the same on both sides? i wonder if someone got the A arms mixed up at the factory from one model to the next?

Top of the tires leaning in a little is common on independent suspensions on atv and UTV. leaning out on pssg side seems odd.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
            So they are both leaning the same way? Hmmm

My back wheel’s definitely lean in a bit towards the machine. Have you checked the PRC forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            That is one way of putting it. but if you are talk about each side separately, then the drive is leaning in at the top and the passenger is leaning out at the top. I have looked at a few PRC threads and they have been no help so far.

Comment

Adjustable control arms is the only "real" solution I've found. I also have a set in the classifieds. Shameless Plug.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                Run your finger and hand down the lower A-arms. We had one bent a while back. hard to notice without feeling it or measuring it. Turns out kid that works on the ranch ran into post with it. I could see it happening from hitting a pot hole reel bad. Granted these where arched Aarms and IMO the seem weaker as they are formed already. FWIW he leveled a 2-3/8 post concreted in the ground so IMO the ranger took it pretty dang good.

i would also call a shop and see what recommended toe in is. I would bet you should be 1/4-1/8 in toe in.

Between me and my dad we have had a bunch of rangers so ive been through them.
                I will try that and see if I notice anything. As far as the toe setting, would being zero cause what is happening to happen? ( if that made sense ) I also seem to remember I read that the setting was 1/8 to 1/4 in

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
                  I will try that and see if I notice anything. As far as the toe setting, would being zero cause what is happening to happen? ( if that made sense ) I also seem to remember I read that the setting was 1/8 to 1/4 in
                  Not that drastically. I mean its not like the tire is going to start wearing evenly after a few miles. And i dont think 1/8 in will cause it to miraculously make the tires stand straighter. There is some other cause for that i think. tracking to straight will usually make it feel wavy at higher speeds.

Comment

Also when jacked up. Everything is pried down so much in my experince its hard to notice any slack in the front hub area. Be it ball joints bushing or bearings. You might pull hubs and inspect if you dont find anything else. Did you check hub for slack by grabbing and shaking when you had the front strut off. Usually between the strut and axle fighting each other when jacked all the way up its hard to tell much if that makes sense?

Comment

Here ya go.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                        Here ya go.
                        Thanks, I will do that to get it as close as I can to specs.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                          Also when jacked up. Everything is pried down so much in my experince its hard to notice any slack in the front hub area. Be it ball joints bushing or bearings. You might pull hubs and inspect if you dont find anything else. Did you check hub for slack by grabbing and shaking when you had the front strut off. Usually between the strut and axle fighting each other when jacked all the way up its hard to tell much if that makes sense?
                          Yes I really tried to get something to show itself. I did not pull the hub, but I had the tire off while pushing pulling and moving everything side to side. Last night I thought the wear on the inside of the tire may be letting the tire lean, but when I swapped sides with the tires today, everything remained the same. I need to replace the tires on it because of the rough treatment they have had with my lease being in San Angelo. I have wet spots all over the tires from the slime being pushed out from mesquite and cactus I have ran over but I don't want to drop a grand on new ones with this problem.

Comment

I know if the bushings in the A arms get wore out, that will allow the tires to toe in at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                              I know if the bushings in the A arms get wore out, that will allow the tires to toe in at the top.
                              That is what I hear also, but I called myself checking them with the pry bar as well as taking the shock loose and trying to see or hear slop in a bushing. I can’t see or hear anything. It is like I am chasing a ghost. Nothing is adding up.

Comment

Working...
                              X