Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone nixed protein and went cottonseed instead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone nixed protein and went cottonseed instead?

thoughts?

I’ve been on a lot of South TX ranches that feed both. (Low fence) I’m not saying I agree, but some of those ranch hands think the deer that have developed the best “stickers” is because of the cottonseed.

Comment

thinking really hard about going straight cottonseed and corn, getting rid of the protein feeders

Comment

I know several that have. Problem is cottonseed is going to be just as expensive if not more than protein this year. A lot of the cottonseed fields didn’t produce this year. We are going to pay a premium this year.

Comment

What is the cost difference? I would really like to know what is more efficient to feed, protein or cottonseed.

Protein requires a feeder of some sort, and everything will eat it such as coons, possums, birds, ... etc. How much return do we get on that investment versus cottonseed.

Cotton seed costs more but it does not require a special feeder, coons and possums do not mess with it much.

Comment

The one gin that was selling cottonseed this year in bulk is asking $540 a ton. (.Wall Coop)Crazy high compared to previous years , but what hasn’t doubled or tripled in price.

Comment

I feed both. The 1k lb totes used to be 150.00. Have gone up considerably. Switched over to the fortified cotton seed that has the minerals in it and it’s running about 600 a ton. Protein is about the same. If I feed straight protein I’ll go through 5 tons a month easy. If I feed cotton seed and protein I feed a 2 1/2 of protein and one of cotton seed. Not sure I would just feed straight cotton seed since it doesn’t have the same amount of minerals but then that’s just my opinion. I go through 3 tons of cotton seed by itself a month so the money about averages out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, cottonseed is like keystone beer - cheaper alternative until everyone started buying it, now costs about the same.

Comment

Got a price this week for $255 on bulk Cotton seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ve been feeding straight cotton seed the last two years. Fed both for the previous 8. Can’t tell the difference in antler or body size. Our pre rut weights for mature bucks is still in the 220-240 lb range and racks are about the same as they have ever been. Got tired of coons ravaging the protein, tubes seizing up after good rains and consumption slows. Cotton seed is just a no brainer for me and low maintenance supplemental feed. It had to give with the price of both going up along with corn. Just put a couple thousand pounds out earlier this week and if they keep hitting it like they are now which they usually do until our first good spring rain, looks like another expensive off season.

I’ll just keep praying for rain from now till September. For some reason the deer in my area consume more than other areas on the ranch. I think my close proximity to water has alit to do with it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Black Ice;16591445]Got a price this week for $255 on bulk Cotton seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOT

Is this per ton. I just bought two 1000 lb totes for $240 each. If it’s per ton that’s cheap as heck. Please tell us where.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

Curious if this is per ton? Or price in Australia

Comment

Originally posted by BrushnBay View Post
                          I feed both. The 1k lb totes used to be 150.00. Have gone up considerably. Switched over to the fortified cotton seed that has the minerals in it and it’s running about 600 a ton. Protein is about the same. If I feed straight protein I’ll go through 5 tons a month easy. If I feed cotton seed and protein I feed a 2 1/2 of protein and one of cotton seed. Not sure I would just feed straight cotton seed since it doesn’t have the same amount of minerals but then that’s just my opinion. I go through 3 tons of cotton seed by itself a month so the money about averages out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Where do you buy your Fortified in large quantities?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

What Gin?

Comment

We are required to feed cotton seed at a minimum on our lease, about half of us feed both, have a few deer that made some pretty significant jumps last year with the addition of protein. Is it coincidence, no idea. I like the mineral content in the protein and also like to have options in the pen. Also like having them able to spread out and eat CS if a deer is a protein hog and won’t let the others eat.

We also stay on top of the coons to help minimize lose.

Comment

Working...
                              X