Power outages . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
    I like this one. 30kw laughs at AC/heat coming on while the oven and dryer are running.
    I knew that it was overkill, but the price was too good to pass up. I didn't want gas or propane, so I got some bids for 25Kw diesel units. $21,000 plus tax plus the switch and wiring. I paid $9500 for this one (actually 33Kw) and did the work myself. A little over $13K for the project. John Deere 46HP diesel engine. I heat the block to about 110 degrees during cold weather, so it starts instantly.

Comment

Had a huge limb from the neighbors hit the service line to my mom’s house. Line is on the ground and it tore the weatherhead out of her meter base. Oncor is so backed up here I don’t have a clue when they will get to her. Have to get it deenergized so we can rebuild her meter loop and weatherhead. I figure she’ll be down a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
        Been out in Leander since 1:30am.
        Yep, went out at 5 pm came bCk on around pm and down around 1:30. Think I'll go get my generator. It's an hour away

Comment

Lost power in Boerne around 9:00 last night, and it just came back on 30 minutes ago. 30 minutes prior to that I had started the generator to keep the fridge and freezer cold, go figure.

Comment

18kw here on my 1,500 sq ft .
            Installed ourselves when building.
            Propane fueled and it exercises once a week to keep in shape.
            Battery charged, fuel fresh in motor, transfer switch test.
            Best insurance I have out here.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
              I like this one. 30kw laughs at AC/heat coming on while the oven and dryer are running.
              all that and would prolly run the pool too
              Last edited by Greenheadless; 02-02-2023, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Rogers in eastern Bell county. Out since 8:30 last night.

Comment

Our plant up in the Aldine area of Houston reported being out of power this afternoon?

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                    Out in Harper

Where? I am in Harper and we have had power all day. A few flickers. Off 479& klein branch

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Power went out again here in Leon county a few hours ago. Got my old *** generator running a shop light, a space heater and an electric blanket for the wife.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
                      Chew, how bad is the ice in Leon County? Wondering how much tree and limb clean up I have ahead of me

Comment

Originally posted by D4H View Post
                        I am retired from an electric co-op. We always had a tree trimming program going on. Our main problem was home owners not wanting their trees trimmed or right of ways maintained. The old rural customers understood the need to trim trees due to past power outages. The new land owners moving to the country did not want their trees trimmed or want the tree trimming crews on their property. Trees that touch power lines actually are contributing to line loss of electricity flowing through the system. In other words, trees absorb power from the lines just like the meter at your house. The power purchased from the main supplier is total usage. The power recorded from electric meters is always less then total usage. The difference is due to line loss from trees and other obstructions and normal loss in an electrical distribution system. The total usage bill from the supplier still needs to be paid so the consumer pays for the line losses passed through to their electric bill. An active tree tree trimming program is necessary to keep non-income losses to a minimum and keep rates stable longer. The other advantage to an active tree trimming program is less outages during inclement weather. If the meters are spinning during cold weather, the utility is making money and customers are happy and warm. Outages cost a lot of money with the cost of lineman on higher wages due to overtime, equipment breakdowns, getting stuck, dangers of getting electrocuted, etc. The lineman crews are the toughest and most dedicated people I’ve known.

So the next time you are contacted by your electric utility to trim trees on your property, you will be helping yourself, your neighbors and your community in minimizing future outages. If you see trees in the lines on your property, contact them and they will come out and trim them.
                        This! I was working outage restoration last night around Boerne. Lots more ice there than in ,oat of our Territory. It’s really hard for us to get people to understand how much of a necessary evil it is for us to maintain Our existing right of ways, or clear new ones for new construction. Lots of members still off there due to accessibility issues due to iced, downed trees, and manicured yards that we need to drive 30,000 lb trucks across to get to some poles.

Comment

1 day so far just North of Temple.
                          Generator is eating propane like candy. Man that’s some expensive electricity!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by D4H View Post
                              I am retired from an electric co-op. We always had a tree trimming program going on. Our main problem was home owners not wanting their trees trimmed or right of ways maintained. The old rural customers understood the need to trim trees due to past power outages. The new land owners moving to the country did not want their trees trimmed or want the tree trimming crews on their property. Trees that touch power lines actually are contributing to line loss of electricity flowing through the system. In other words, trees absorb power from the lines just like the meter at your house. The power purchased from the main supplier is total usage. The power recorded from electric meters is always less then total usage. The difference is due to line loss from trees and other obstructions and normal loss in an electrical distribution system. The total usage bill from the supplier still needs to be paid so the consumer pays for the line losses passed through to their electric bill. An active tree tree trimming program is necessary to keep non-income losses to a minimum and keep rates stable longer. The other advantage to an active tree trimming program is less outages during inclement weather. If the meters are spinning during cold weather, the utility is making money and customers are happy and warm. Outages cost a lot of money with the cost of lineman on higher wages due to overtime, equipment breakdowns, getting stuck, dangers of getting electrocuted, etc. The lineman crews are the toughest and most dedicated people I’ve known.

So the next time you are contacted by your electric utility to trim trees on your property, you will be helping yourself, your neighbors and your community in minimizing future outages. If you see trees in the lines on your property, contact them and they will come out and trim them.
                              SHECO does this and I haven't lost power since Ike destroyed our home. I also bought a 17kw PTO generator in 2009 that is still brand new.

Comment

My parents live outside of Marlin. They lost power about 3pm Wednesday afternoon. I talked to my mom this morning and they still have no power. He has a Miller welding machine he cranks up for awhile during the day to power the refrigerator and charge their phones and such.

Comment

Working...
                                X