Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone nixed protein and went cottonseed instead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I switched pellets to fortified cottonseed but **** they are proud of that now. I may switch back but at the end of the day I have no waste with CS, coons don't eat it either so I still remain cheaper for CS just not the big cost savings it once was.

Comment

I tried feeding cottonseed but it just goes to waste. They eat about 3k pounds of pellets a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
        On our place in Rocksprings, WT & Axis love it. They will empty a basket feeder in about 5 days. 30" diameter x 48" tall wire basket. In 7 days there won't be a trace of CS anywhere. We will put out 2 supersacks at a time (about 1 ton).

To us it just supplements the timed pellet feeders, & helps fatten them up. Solid work too shoveling that sheet outa bags. Not a fan. I'd just as well cut the bag and drive off, but my dad would have a aneurysm if we didn't fill the baskets. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

We tried cutting the bags open and leaving a 1000 lb pile and for whatever reasons the deer wouldn’t eat the last 400lbs or so.

I think the coons get in it digging for corn and **** in it, and eventually the deer just stop eating it. When it rots, it smells like dead fish. Dad is right. Keep filling baskets! [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
          I switched pellets to fortified cottonseed but **** they are proud of that now. I may switch back but at the end of the day I have no waste with CS, coons don't eat it either so I still remain cheaper for CS just not the big cost savings it once was.

The only thing bad about fortified is it mold with any moisture. It’s a great product, but a different style of feeder besides a basket is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tag

Comment

Cottonseed

Put out a tote of cottonseed Saturday morning. They were on it the first night.
              Attached Files

Comment

It is a popular buffet

Can't keep up...
                Attached Files

Comment

impressive trail cam pic quality!

Comment

no kidding!

Comment

Yes made the move this year to 100 percent CS.

Comment

cottonseed is a back up IMO - protein is the primary supplemental feed you want to really grow big horns - that comes from 15 years of experience on our LF South Texas lease

Comment

We start cotton seed along with pellets early spring. I like both. But if I had to give one up I would drop c s and stay with pellets
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                            We start cotton seed along with pellets early spring. I like both. But if I had to give one up I would drop c s and stay with pellets
                            We have gone that route... i would rather feed a little more protein with lower labor with cottonseed at a price almost on parity with Protein.

Comment

My neighbor nixed his protein last yr & only fed CS. They will not be doing that again. They were very disappointed.
                              I start my protein 3rd week of Dec and cottonseed starting mid Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
                                That has to be for 1,000 totes. no way they can sell it for less than 1/2 of what everyone else is selling it for. It wasn't $255 3 years ago when I use to buy it. Back then it was 270-280 a ton.
                                Cotton Seed Data:

- 1/6/22…. 11.23 Tons at a cost of $354.52/ton

- 6/10/22…. 10.30 Tons at a cost of $450.83/ton

- 2/9/23…. 23.10 Tons at a cost of $466.65/ton

Compare too:
                                - 11/26/18…. 11.37 Tons at a cost of $208.27/ton

Our delivered price in years past, MAKE COTTON SEED CHEAP AGAIN!

Comment

Working...
                                X