No announcement yet.

Why is their no quail in Jackson County Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ants, farmers cutting fields all the way to the fence rows.. skunks, possums? A lot of factors.

Comment

less fence rows for quail, farming is more efficient.

Comment

Habitat loss is a big reason. Same is happening in Kansas. Since the CRP progam has ended, there are not near as many wild quail and pheasants around. They dont have fire ants up there.

Comment

When I was a kid in Runnels county we had a lot of blue quail and tons of bob-whites. WE had pretty much no fire ants. Now we have fire ants everywhere and the blues have been gone for about twenty years and it won't be long and the bob-whites will be. I'm convinced it is the fire ant. If we can eradicate the boll weevil I wonder why we can't even discuss eradicating the fire ant?

Comment

Why aren’t there any in Lampasas county?

Comment

I think they are finding out it is less what they originally thought, and more a mono-culture habitat issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                When I was a kid in Runnels county we had a lot of blue quail and tons of bob-whites. WE had pretty much no fire ants. Now we have fire ants everywhere and the blues have been gone for about twenty years and it won't be long and the bob-whites will be. I'm convinced it is the fire ant. If we can eradicate the boll weevil I wonder why we can't even discuss eradicating the fire ant?
                We could eradicate them with chlordane but it was outlawed/banned back in 1983..
                It would kill Termites and fire ants for many years..
                It had a risidual of 20-25 years.. The EPA wasn't having any of that.. We can't have something that actually works.

Comment

Originally posted by PondPopper View Post
                  This is the main culprit....
                  We once had Atwaters Prairie Chickens, Quail, Pheasant and a bunch of rabbits in Brazoria county.. All of that was before the fire ants.. The last quail and Pheasant I've seen in this county was back in the early 80's.. they once were thick. The old timers once told stories about how abundant they were.
                  All gone now.. Fire ants kill anything and everything that nest on the ground.. Nothing stands a chance.
                  I've seen quite a few quail in Brazoria Co but mostly around the refuge and Bastrop Bayou. They're still there but probably not the numbers where they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by BayouCat View Post
                    I've seen quite a few quail in Brazoria Co but mostly around the refuge and Bastrop Bayou. They're still there but probably not the numbers where they should be.
                    Guessing not. Whole bunch of mono-culture costal pastures (aka quail deserts) in those areas?

Comment

Working...
                    X