Protein feeder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein feeder question

My neighbor and I have 30 acres each across the road from my home. On two sides is Natl Forest and on his side is a very Redneck hunting club that will shoot anything they can. My neighbor and I set a protein feeder early this year and have fed continuously for months. In addition, we both have corn feeders 200-300 yds from the protein feeder. Bucks frequent the protein feeder every day and our corn feeders at times.

Would you recommend continuing the protein feeding or suspend it to make the deer travel more to the corn feeders?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
    Doug

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
    My neighbor and I have 30 acres each across the road from my home. On two sides is Natl Forest and on his side is a very Redneck hunting club that will shoot anything they can. My neighbor and I set a protein feeder early this year and have fed continuously for months. In addition, we both have corn feeders 200-300 yds from the protein feeder. Bucks frequent the protein feeder every day and our corn feeders at times.

Would you recommend continuing the protein feeding or suspend it to make the deer travel more to the corn feeders?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
    Doug
    Personally I would dump the corn feeders and go protein only
    Just my thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
      Personally I would dump the corn feeders and go protein only
      Just my thoughts
      Dang I’ve never heard this before but I like it. Why? I am hanging stands on trails this year instead of feeders, well a few. I feel like the bigger bucks lurk in the woods a little more.

Comment

I’d leave it up. The bucks will do plenty of traveling soon enough no matter what you do.

Comment

Near Matador, TX we feed protein and corn April-Nov 1st. Just corn after that. We are on year 3 of protein and starting to see a noticeable difference in racks and body composition.

Comment

They will quit the protein when the rut gets close, I would feed corn to keep the animals in the area.

Comment

Protein and/or cotton seed

Comment

Originally posted by Russ26 View Post
                Protein and/or cotton seed

This and start saving for a high fence between the rednecks and your buddy.

Comment

We stop protein in mid September because our feeders are free choice. If given access to feed 24 hours a day bucks will choose to feed during the night and not during hunting hours. On our hill country property, deer transition from protein to corn quickly, within just a couple of days. In south Texas I’ve noticed it takes them 2-3 weeks to really start going to corn after having been on protein for 7-8 months.

Comment

Working...
                  X