Quick ??? about check engine light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick ??? about check engine light.

Once you correct the issue do you need to have the codes erased or will it reset itself? If so how long does it take to reset?

Originally posted by brutus View Post
    Once you correct the issue do you need to have the codes erased or will it reset itself? If so how long does it take to reset?
    It will go off itself

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

It may take a while. Number of key strokes and/or hours/miles driven.

Comment

Disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes and it should clear.

Comment

Originally posted by SCORPION KING View Post
          Disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes and it should clear.
          Do this. You’ll have to drive around 100 miles before you can get it inspected though.

Comment

Auto parts store can clear the code for you

Comment

Buy you own OBD and clear it yourself!!

Comment

I will pop the battery off for a little bit after i replace the EGR valve tonight. I was just inspected and tagged so the 100 miles wont make a difference. Thanks all.

Comment

I believe you still have to put some miles on it so it will have a history when they hook the computer back up. Otherwise they can say you just reset the code and came back without doing any repairs.

Comment

On some vehicles if you disconnect the battery you have to reset clock, radio, Bluetooth etc. Just drive it or go to auto parts and have them reset it.

Comment

Thanks Walker good Idea wifes car so you know who would be resetting all that. I will hit the Big O'riellys

Comment

It really depends on what the vehicle is. Some you can just disconnect the battery, some will have to have the codes cleared with a scanner. These questions should include, year, make and model.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                          Do this. You’ll have to drive around 100 miles before you can get it inspected though.
                          Where are you getting this? How would they know? I have never had an inspection place plug into the OBD to check. But my tinting is also too dark and my diesel truck is deleted and straight piped so I don't think the place I go to checks that

Comment

Went to get them cleared at O Rielly's and they will not clear them said I have to drive it until it resets. 76 miles so far still on. I have a STX scanner on my 250 will that connect to my 2010 Ford Explorer 4.0? I know I can clear the codes with it as i have on my truck before after repairing it.

Comment

Working...
                            X