No announcement yet.

When to hang it up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be forced to retire at 56 but can retire at 50 if I so choose with full benefits. We shall see, that is a long ways away

Comment

I retired at 61. Worked 38 years for same company, they wanted me to take a job that i did not want, I was able to retire, so i did. If that had not happened, i would probably still be working. At the time I was on the fence, now i know it was a blessing. I did not really know how tired I was of all the corporate knee jerk BS until i was out of it. Watching this last oilfield crash from the sidelines was way more pleasant then being in the middle of it. The lack of stress has been amazing. Cost of medical care has been an issue, but wife is working and that covers us. I go on MC in 3 months, our plan is for her to quit at that point and will just get a policy for her until she is 65. I just bought a RV and we will be hitting the road for some long trips this spring. One thing i have not seen mentioned, is take care of your health as you go thru life if it is possible. Carrying around extra weight and being out of shape really takes it toll as you age.

Comment

Gotta watch the "Donut Hole" issue with Medicare and prescription insurance. Prescriptions can triple in out of pocket expenses. I ran into this yesterday and haven't yet learned how long it will last.
        Just make sure all the meds are generic.
        If I had a way to avoid this I definitely would post it.

Comment

I was eligible last month at 51. Still at it though, don't know what Id do if I retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
            Gotta watch the "Donut Hole" issue with Medicare and prescription insurance. Prescriptions can triple in out of pocket expenses. I ran into this yesterday and haven't yet learned how long it will last.
            Just make sure all the meds are generic.
            If I had a way to avoid this I definitely would post it.
            Please elevorate as I have never heard of the donut hole issue...

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
              Please elevorate as I have never heard of the donut hole issue...
              I'm trying to get to the stage where I can elaborate.

Comment

Medicare prescription drug coverage gap, aka the donut hole. People who get Extra Help paying Part D costs won't enter the coverage gap. Out of pocket costs help you get out of the coverage gap.

Comment

Going 41 years on the IRS books - retired after 20 on the Military books - not looking to slow down, Cyber Security and IT Security work - is hot and I'm not gonna quit at 61.

Don't plan to quit till I can't breath anymore - my work doesn't require a commute and as long as I deliver the goods from a Cyber Security front - I connect and disconnect on my time - the checks will continue to come in electronically.

Retired about 20 years ago with a Military Pension after 20 years - added that into my High Tech salary - which folks with my skills - are becoming more rare as the industry moves into a CLOUD environment with the CHICOM arse deep in all who did so.

CAPEX - We own our private hybrid cloud (you can forecast tangible costs associated with your IT infrastructure - last time I checked - you don't make money without IT)

OPEX - If you move your IT operations into the cloud = you now have given your credit card to someone in India - Russia - Ukraine - China - Iraq et al because - your family corporate data - is now in a world-wide data center prescence and you will never ever get to go in and copy your stuff off the server - onto any storage device because = YOU CAN NOT GAIN ACCESS TO THEIR DATA CENTER WHERE YOUR DATA RESIDES - AND THEY HAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD - SKIP A PAYMENT - TERABYTES LOCKED INSIDE UNTIL YOU PAY THEM. OPT TO CLOSE THE CONTRACT - TRY MOVING 20 TERABYTES TO A COMPETITOR?

See the industry has gone over an edge, and those in the CLOUD business are the KOOL KIDS on the BLOCK.

These same KOOL KIDS ON THE BLOCK ARE THE USA TECH FIRMS.

USA TECH FIRMS AND THE 1ST AMENDMENT OR CANCEL CULTURE A SITTING PRESIDENT - WHO HAS YET TO LEAVE OFFICE = YES THOSE FOLKS.

So - In my scope of work - there are many who went cloud and realized costs - associated with a world that is distributed - State by State and or Continent by Continent = that data is now inside a world that may have a SWISS BANK ACCOUNT TIED to those - WHO WALK THE FLOORS INSIDE THE CLOUD - WITH ACCESS TO YOUR DATA.

Yes - I'm old but - My skills defy the new kids on the block who went CLOUD

So my income - continues to climb - and retirement - since I can work from anywhere - is idiotic if I'm still having fun.

Yes I soon - but I refuse to - money is good and double and triple dipping without bailing from my core skills - which many do not have - it would be stupid to stop now.

And I am fighting these CANCEL CULTURE TECH FIRMS AMAZON GOOGLE YAHOO FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM etc to name a few

If I retire now - these arse clowns hope I do - because I am the connection to the past - when they - the TECH FIRMS - had ZERO TOE HOLD IN AMERICAN POLITICS

I can't quit now - I'm a warrior who can and will fight this BS - and take back what so many have zero clue - HAS BEEN LOST!

Those of us in my line of INFO Security work - decades Professionally - know what I am talking about

Right now - if you have high end IT Security Skills - you better be doing everything in your power to cover the millions who have ZERO CLUE - WHAT IS GOING ON - ON THE WIRE

This is happening right the hell now - on any Corporate business network on the backbone of the Internet right now.

Screen shot of the INET BACKBONE. I mean backbone - the core IP address starts with 12.x.x.x - CLASS A online since the INET Beginning.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 09-18-2021, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                    We have a few guys at the office that are at the age of retirement. Well after getting 2 weeks off with the hurricane, and COVID back to back they all said they're gonna wait another 5 years before they retire because they didn't even like having 2 full weeks off! I'm 29, and I find that hard to believe!
                    Some people live to work, others work to live

Comment

I forgot the SolarWinds attack - Nov/December 2020 - when Microsoft AZURE and 365, Dept of E, Dept of D, Dept of Ag.........so many fell to the Chinese and Russia.

Here's my firewall traffic patterns - on the period when they attacked in 2020.

We have 3 USA credit bureaus

Experian got hacked by China in 2015 - all of us with credit ratings - now CHICOM Super Computer data search access and control now. Yes they farm us like livestock - over hundreds of years to get there.

Equifax got hacked by China 2017 - same crap

T-Mobile - touting their cutting edge 5G network - before they had the SECURITY SIDE covered got hacked by CHINA this Year and Last - All T-MOBILE CUSTOMERS = 7 Million plus as well as those under contract and credit review approval.

I bet the majority of y'all here - have ZERO CLUE?

I say this because if y'all did, the CAMPFIRE would of had a post of concern - stuff like this is NO BUENO for free nations.

Yet the tech world - is so intense and covered by the media outlets - who are in the job to protect USA TECH FIRMS who are all about making money from CHINA like the NBA - I can go on and on here - COMMUNISTS = ENEMY

WHERE IN THE HAIL DID WE LOSE THIS PERCEPTION......Between DIRT BALLS and GOOD?

Comment

SolarWinds 2020 - yes I have the scene when it went down

This is my firewall - I manage a 30 mil plus business with a direct connection to the internet backbone - since 1995

This is non-stop Moscow (data centers with no USA Criminal Extradition laws - hack USA from MOSCOW - Putin will protect them and their millions - look at the FBIs most wanted list - 5 million class to arrest = CHINA AND RUSSIA) using their RACKSPACE/CLOUD LIKE MOSCOW Resources in conjunction with China - who also uses Moscow with their own personal Chicom dns registrations - pay the Russians what they want in currency - they will let you attack the world from within Russian control - as long as those who are attacking - do not target mother Russia.

CYBER CRIME and EXPLOITATION.

And all of those Chinese flags, not one Chinese Joe or Jane Citizen - has unlimited access to the Internet outside of CHICOM China rule. So these little Chinese flags and Russian flags on my firewall - during Solarwinds 2020 = CYBER SOLDIERS WEARING UNIFORMS ATTACKING CORPORATE AMERICAN BUSINESSES

FACT HERE'S THE IMAGE AND PROOF!

How many of you here even know this?

Folks - this is real and so many have zero clue -

I'VE BEEN FIGHTING WWIII and so many, have zero clue, the takeover (via data) has begun.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 09-18-2021, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I turned 65 this January and still enjoyed working. Until recently…

Insurance for my wife is a concern so I decided to work till after she hits Medicare in December 2022. I’ll go out end of January 2023 as I’ll have a full 16 years on this job and still have a pension from work. Along with a little extra tacked on SS. Hoping SS, pension and 401/IRA monies will tide us over until I work PT as a doorman at the local strip club.

Comment

I’m going in 5 more years and can’t wait that will put me at 35 years with a government job and insurance will be just fine for me as that was the biggest issue for me. I most likely will start guiding fishing/hunting trips to stay busy and enjoy hopefully watching my son play ball through his college years god willing. Just keep busy and everything will work out just fine enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                            X