No announcement yet.

Would you shoot a mountain lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not shoot one but i'd love to see one while hunting and get a chance to watch it in person. I saw a juvenile late one night driving into our ranch, it was walking right down the road in the tire tracks on the drivers side for maybe 40yds then slowly walked off to the left weaving in between the cedars. I quickly got out my streamlight and saw it again confirming it was a cat, about the size of my vizsla hunting dog, long tail with about 5 or 6 inches of black hair at the end of the tail. Once i couldn't see it anymore i slowly pulled forward and about 200 yds further up was a huge dead cow in the right side of the road. There were buzzards roosting, a coyote and further up i jumped some pigs. It was like dr Doolittle that night around there. Eventually the ranch manager said he thinks the cow ate some plastic something and thats what killed it. This was summertime, about 2.30am in Edwards county about 3 years ago

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I would without hesitation.....I'd love to have a mount done of one....I'm fascinated by how they are so elusive and can go unseen while living and hunting in areas....I wish I was that stealthy of a hunter myself😕

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        Can someone quote all the "good stuff" so I can read it. Say a readers digest version if you will.

Not that bored yet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        Some folks would shoot one for a trophy.

Some folks would shoot one because they kill deer.

Some folks would shoot one because they are scared.

Some folks belong to peta and just watch the sweet little animals.

Some folks really have never actually been hunting and have no chance if seeing one but want Every one to know they are morally superior to the rest.

Me I just gut shoot them and let them run off.

Comment

Funny thing is..I'd shoot one,to hold it.Look at it.The mother****er ain't gonna pose for a photo shoot..I wanna get up close to it..Snap a few pics.He/she would get a full body mount.The pics in the field would be way more important than the mount.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
            i have never had an interest in killing or hunting predators, and yes, i have seen the video of the deer eating the baby bird.

i guess its because they are meant to hunt, like we are, and prey are meant to be hunted. for some reason i think it would be weird to hunt something that isn't scared of me....some kind of deep spiritual thing.
            Hunting things that aren't scared or can kill you and feel nothing about it is fun. We were given permission by God to rule above all things on earth. I'm at the top of the food chain. Not them.

Deer aren't ultimate survivors. I have more respect for feral hogs, coyotes,rattlesnakes and all things predator because they've been hunted in every way known to man just about and persecuted since man knew what they were and they're still here. Deer have been hunted to the point of almost being extinct at one point in time. Predators are by far the most cunning and challenging animals there are to hunt.
            Last edited by okrattler; 01-18-2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Hoping to catch up to the one that left big tracks in the horse pasture and meadows. We've got a tag to fill if we see him. Hope we don't catch him in our traps, have to release it then.
              I have one rug on the wall and the spouse's hangs in Texas.
              They are ultimate predators and take large numbers of deer and sheep up here. They have been documented to just sit and kill livestock just because they happened by.
              Hunting them over dogs is an extreme hunt if you follow the hounds . Most houndsmen will only take big toms, let the females walk to keep the population stable.
              They have a place in nature but will put a big dent in your game population if they set up home in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                Hunting things that aren't scared or can kill you and feel nothing about it is fun. We were given permission by God to rule above all things on earth. I'm at the top of the food chain. Not them.

Deer aren't ultimate survivors. I have more respect for feral hogs, coyotes,rattlesnakes and all things predator because they've been hunted in every way known to man just about and persecuted since man knew what they were and they're still here. Deer have been hunted to the point of almost being extinct at one point in time. Predators are by far the most cunning and challenging animals there are to hunt.
                dunno man, i'm weird like that. i would rather go sit in a tree looking for a 170" whitetail than take a free trip to africa to kill 1 of everything... and i like beans in my chili

Comment

I was attacked by a lion when I was a kid. Took 14 operations to repair the damage. They are killing machines through and through. They aren’t rare, they are reclusive. I respect those that don’t want take a cat. Leaves more for the rest of us that do.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    Would love to see one, but no interest in killing one.
                    Me too, unless of course I was on the menu...

Comment

In a new york second!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
                        From reading the post, I'm in the minority on this issue. I don't have any desire to kill a big cat. I look at it the same way as some African big game. I don't have a desire to kill a zebra, or other animals other hunters choose to hunt. But at the end of the day I support other hunters in their endeavors.

I feel the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
                          So you don’t shoot pigs?
                          I do, by the rules of the laws. They're IN-SEASON year round.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                            I was attacked by a lion when I was a kid. Took 14 operations to repair the damage. They are killing machines through and through. They aren’t rare, they are reclusive. I respect those that don’t want take a cat. Leaves more for the rest of us that do.
                            Whoa!
                            Where in the heck was that?
                            No disrespect, but they are rare in most parts of our large state.

Comment

Big bend national park and they aren’t rare. There are recorded mortalities in every Texas county.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                                I do, by the rules of the laws. They're IN-SEASON year round.
                                So are mountain lions...

Comment

Working...
                                X