No announcement yet.

Next rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd go a little of option 1 with 2 and get a Golden boy.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
      get the lever action in .44 mag it can be used by you now and your son will have memories of his dad with that rifle, when the time is right give it to him.

also the 44 mag can be shot with much milder 44 special ammo and even down loads in the magnum cases to get him used to shooting it,,, 44 a great round out of a lever gun!

This too is a consideration for your up and coming hunter. I’m confident it’s easily a 80 yard rifle with irons and it’ll teach him to take ethical shots and begin the process of a successful bow hunting partner. My first child is due end of February and it (I say it because we won’t know what gender until it’s born) will definitely begin with my .44. I’ve got some hot 200gr hornady reloads that are on par with a dove load 12ga for recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I may have come up with option 5...clean out the safe and sell some stuff... I have 2 scopes, the Savage mark II I spoke of earlier, extra AR15 parts I could get rid of... Use that to build a custom 10/22, then go get a lever action with the gift cards. I liked both ideas of the 44 lever action and 10/22 and how I can incorporate them with Nolan. Thanks everyone! Pics and details to come.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread.
          For the Marlin haters. I just picked up a brand new 1895GBL. Marlin is coming back this thing is very well put together and very accurate to boot. I shot a 21/2" 5 shot group at 150 yds with the stock open sights not to shabby for a 45-70. I have put about 40 rounds through it and no malfunctions yet.

Comment

I’d vote for the Henry 22. Good gun that you and your son will enjoy for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
              Not to hijack the thread.
              For the Marlin haters. I just picked up a brand new 1895GBL. Marlin is coming back this thing is very well put together and very accurate to boot. I shot a 21/2" 5 shot group at 150 yds with the stock open sights not to shabby for a 45-70. I have put about 40 rounds through it and no malfunctions yet.
              Yes they definitely have things figured out with the new stuff. Some fine firearms!

Comment

I would get a browning grade II BL-22. The finest gun you would ever own. Super fun to shoot, best factory sights made, excellent craftsmanship to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                  one of those take downs 10-22 with magpul stock

your son and you will love it
                  I am going this option, but building my own. Does anyone have a specific parts list for the 10/22 takedown?

I've already purchased:
                  - striped receiver for the takedown
                  - complete bolt assembly
                  - barrel
                  - Magpul backpacker stock with BX Trigger
                  - socket head takedown screw
                  - bolt stop pin
                  - receiver pins
                  - bolt tune up kit
                  - Charging handle
                  - Bolt exact extractor

Anything specific to the Takedown version that I'm missing, or anything I've overlooked??

Comment

that was quick

Comment

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
                      that was quick
                      Yes, I had some very valuable input from the green screen and my friends. I came to the consensus that it would be great to have a 10/22 for my son and I, and I am excited to put together something I have wanted for about a decade now but never went out and got it.

Comment

looks like you made a good choice, have fun with it

Comment

Done with the 10/22 build!

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Henry .22 gets my vote and on a different note you ought buy your son a Texas lifetime hunting license.

Comment

Working...
                            X