Turkey hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
    No you can shoot em with a shotgun, no one does though.
    I worded that wrong. I always thought you were only allowed the rifle as an option in the fall, not in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
      I worded that wrong. I always thought you were only allowed the rifle as an option in the fall, not in the spring.
      Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah you can use a rifle in da spring too

Comment

I have killed many turkeys in both the spring and fall. All of my fall birds have been shot with a bow and both a shotgun and bow during the spring. Run and gun for turkeys is my favorite hunting to do. No way I would target them with a rifle. The thrill of calling in a bird close enough to shoot with a shotgun or bow gets that adrenaline pumping. I am ready to chase some Toms in a few weeks.

Comment

Man how times change. I brought this subject up last year since several of my lease mates are "new turkey hunters" and shooting them with rifles out of blinds during the spring and got hammered by everyone...

Comment

I'm surprised. I thought it was shotgun and bow only for spring season.

I don't really care about turkeys anyway, but good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
              Man how times change. I brought this subject up last year since several of my lease mates are "new turkey hunters" and shooting them with rifles out of blinds during the spring and got hammered by everyone...
              I remember that thread. You painted it as unethical to do so. Folks here are saying it's more sporting to go after them with shotgun/bow.

Sporting is entirely different from ethical

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                I've always thought the same thing. I thought you could only shoot them with a rifle during the fall.
                Glad I’m not the only one. Never Even considered a rifle in the spring.
                Appreciate the conversation

Comment

Just noticed something else

Limestone county has no turkey season.......anyone one else like this?

Comment

When I hunted Runnels Co. I usually killed a couple hens to eat with either bow or rifle in the fall, and saved two tags for spring. The hens eat better than the gobblers and we had gobs of them. After killing my first called-in gobbler with a bow, it became the only way to hunt them. Nothing wrong with killing a turkey under a feeder, (that’s where most of y’all kill your deer), but I enjoy calling the gobblers and watching the show.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      Just noticed something else

Limestone county has no turkey season.......anyone one else like this?
                      Did it ever have a season?

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                        Did it ever have a season?
                        Have no idea. Just assumed the entire state had a season......apparently that ain’t right

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          Have no idea. Just assumed the entire state had a season......apparently that ain’t right
                          No sir, not every county has a season. Most of the counties west of I-35 have a season and some counties east of I-45 have a season (Eastern Turkey). That little strip of counties in between don’t have a season.

Comment

Rifle is about the equivalent of a decoy, same means to the end that require minimal hunting

Comment

Turkey hunting

Originally posted by trash2 View Post
                              Rifle is about the equivalent of a decoy, same means to the end that require minimal hunting

username opinion checks out....

Last edited by Smart; 02-26-2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                                No sir, not every county has a season. Most of the counties west of I-35 have a season and some counties east of I-45 have a season (Eastern Turkey). That little strip of counties in between don’t have a season.
                                Never knew that but also do guess I ever had a reason to look it up

Comment

Working...
                                X