Reliability Newer Diesels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MillsJake View Post
    FIL has a 2014 6.7 ford, got it deleted at 112k miles, 138k his turbo went out. Other than that he hasnt had any issues

The 15 and up fords have different turbos that seem to have better longevity than the 11-14.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

They are all overpriced for what they are. Over complicated fuel systems and emissions. I service 5 dealerships and everyone one of them has diesel pick up trucks waiting in line to get worked on. It don’t matter what brand. From no starts to collapsed fuel tanks. I was at the ford dealer the other day and there was a stack of collapsed fuel tanks in front of the shop. Seems the tank vent don’t work all the time and the fuel pump collapses the tanks.

Go to the Chevy garage and all you see is hoods up on anything with a durajunk emblem .

At the dodge house the got so many broken that they hook a tractor to them and drag them off in the weeds.

Junk I tell ya. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        They are all overpriced for what they are. Over complicated fuel systems and emissions. I service 5 dealerships and everyone one of them has diesel pick up trucks waiting in line to get worked on. It don’t matter what brand. From no starts to collapsed fuel tanks. I was at the ford dealer the other day and there was a stack of collapsed fuel tanks in front of the shop. Seems the tank vent don’t work all the time and the fuel pump collapses the tanks.

Go to the Chevy garage and all you see is hoods up on anything with a durajunk emblem .

At the dodge house the got so many broken that they hook a tractor to them and drag them off in the weeds.

Junk I tell ya. Lol.

This is pretty much it. They all have issues but I don't think everyone shares the same. Most Ford guys I know willingly tell you the issues their trucks have had. Dodge guys I've known could've rebuilt the whole front end and put a new transmission in their truck and they'll tell you it's all factory and they've never had a problem.

Comment

Had an 09 2500 that I bought used. Immediately deleted it, had 0 issues with the motor and had it until 200k miles. Issues with that truck were mainly front end which was pretty standard on the 3rd gen dodges. Picked up an 18 Ram 3500 SRW, immediately deleted it as well (did this one myself) and no issues so far. Have 12K on it now.

Don’t drive a deleted diesel like your pops bought it for you and it’ll last.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
            I understand from my mechanic that all the newer diesels are all susceptible to issues with the fuel pump. When it fails it sends metal particles through the entire fuel system. The only way to repair is to replace the entire fuel system at a cost of $8.5 to 10K. This occurs at 100K plus. This keeps me motivated to keep my 7.3. May be a turtle but it's not taking a nap on the side of the road.

any of them that run this pump needs an aftermarket filtration system added before 100,000 miles. FASS makes a great one and then there are the "Disaster Prevention Kits" also. Either of these options prevent the failed pump from trashing the whole fuel system.

If its a Ford you should also either replace the intercooler pipe or at least have one in your tool box at 100,000 miles. Its just a cheap preventive measure.

Comment

I would suggest getting one and deleting it. It is critical to get a good reputable tuner to make a good safe tune. Also I would suggest getting some electronic gauges like the Edge CTS 2 so you can keep an eye on critical items like EGT, oil temp, coolant temp and transmission temp. Once the factory gauge needle moves it usually is too late. I have an 08 6.4 F250 which has a horrible reputation but since it was deleted on day 2 and I kept up with the maintenance I have not had an issue till recently at 150k. I had to drop about 4-5k on a new radiator, radiator reinforcement bar, upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostats (not needed just peace of mind) cold side intercooler pipe (not needed, just for fun), cab bushings, brakes (only needed pads but I did upgraded rotors, stainless steel brake lines and synthetic fluid) and I had an ac line blow out. Prior to all this work I had done nothing other than change the oil and fuel filters.

If you do not feel comfortable deleting it then I recommend you get a coolant filter system installed and change the coolant every 50k with high quality coolant. The coolant services so many more things than people realize, most importantly the egr system when it is still in tact and the engine oil cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                I would suggest getting one and deleting it. It is critical to get a good reputable tuner to make a good safe tune. Also I would suggest getting some electronic gauges like the Edge CTS 2 so you can keep an eye on critical items like EGT, oil temp, coolant temp and transmission temp. Once the factory gauge needle moves it usually is too late. I have an 08 6.4 F250 which has a horrible reputation but since it was deleted on day 2 and I kept up with the maintenance I have not had an issue till recently at 150k. I had to drop about 4-5k on a new radiator, radiator reinforcement bar, upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostats (not needed just peace of mind) cold side intercooler pipe (not needed, just for fun), cab bushings, brakes (only needed pads but I did upgraded rotors, stainless steel brake lines and synthetic fluid) and I had an ac line blow out. Prior to all this work I had done nothing other than change the oil and fuel filters.

If you do not feel comfortable deleting it then I recommend you get a coolant filter system installed and change the coolant every 50k with high quality coolant. The coolant services so many more things than people realize, most importantly the egr system when it is still in tact and the engine oil cooler.

You should not have to do any of that to a 70,000.00 pick up truck. I’m sorry, but I just don’t see the value in one if it ain’t towing something and making money.

Comment

I have a 2016 F250. Deleted it at 800 miles and never looked back!

Comment

Originally posted by ejj005 View Post
                    Within the next few months I will be in the market for a newer diesel. 3/4 ton 4x4. Will be most likely a 2010-2016. Ford 6.7 and Dodge 4th gens. If I could find the right deal on a duramax I would not overlook that also.

I am wondering is there any major issues that I need to be on the lookout with these year model trucks? Which is going to be less problematic with more miles.

More than likely will be buying around 80-110k miles. Those seem to be in my price range.

I know I could go older cummins and for the most part be in good shape. But am looking to have a bigger back seat and something newer.

Thanks in advance.

I've had two F-250s in that year range.

The intercooler pipe will blow sometime over 100k, just go head and upgrade it when you buy the truck. Other that emissions sensors, I've never had an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ejj005 View Post
                      Within the next few months I will be in the market for a newer diesel. 3/4 ton 4x4. Will be most likely a 2010-2016. Ford 6.7 and Dodge 4th gens. If I could find the right deal on a duramax I would not overlook that also.

I am wondering is there any major issues that I need to be on the lookout with these year model trucks? Which is going to be less problematic with more miles.

More than likely will be buying around 80-110k miles. Those seem to be in my price range.

I know I could go older cummins and for the most part be in good shape. But am looking to have a bigger back seat and something newer.

Thanks in advance.

I've had them all. Here's my personal experience.

Ford: Buy a 2015 or newer. The 2015 and newer fords are by far the best trucks on the road

Dodge: Buy a 2013 and up.

Duramax: New ones have too many issues. They keep changing the series of motors every couple of years. I would stay far away from the L5P generation of duramaxes.

Btw, don't buy the 7.3 almighty hipe. We still have our old 7.3 and i would take a new cummins or powerstroke over that turtle anyday of the week.

I currently have a 2016 dodge. I just came from a 2014 f250. I'm really hard on trucks, and couldn't justify spending another 20k to buy a new ford just to tear up on the farm.
                      Last edited by Arrowthreat; 07-23-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                        This is pretty much it. They all have issues but I don't think everyone shares the same. Most Ford guys I know willingly tell you the issues their trucks have had. Dodge guys I've known could've rebuilt the whole front end and put a new transmission in their truck and they'll tell you it's all factory and they've never had a problem.
                        LMAO. That's one of the truest statements I've ever seen on the GS.

I used to think Dodge and Chevy owners just didn't have any problems but then I realized the above.

Also to the OP, don't let online complaints or issues scare you. Remember the people going online with their issues are going to appear the norm because people who don't have issues don't need to gripe about them online.

Comment

I have a 17 Dodge 3500 that the dpf flashed its warning every time the temp would be in the single digits. Deleted it at 120K at 150K now and never anything more then the warning lights.

2014 ford 350 101k never any issues.

Comment

A buddy of mine was glad to get rid of his 2016 Ford. All kinds of issues with the DEF, Turbo cooler, Exhaust, cabin bushings, and then his steering went out. He has spent more time and money on that truck. When it runs...it is great but it ALWAYS has an issue.

He just picked up a 2015 Chevy Duramax.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
                              Also to the OP, don't let online complaints or issues scare you. Remember the people going online with their issues are going to appear the norm because people who don't have issues don't need to gripe about them online.
                              Exactly.

Comment

If you really want an unbiased answer take a ride with me in my tool truck for a week. I go to auto dealerships, tractor dealers, atv dealers,chainsaw dealers and construction equipment dealers. They ALL make junk, certain models are worse than others.

I think a lot of folks eyes would open up. A lot of stuff that is posted on here is not accurate.

The new Stihl chainsaws have an ECM now, it adjusts the carb as the air filter gets clogged, when the air filter is changed the ECM cannot recalibrate itself, gotta go back to the shop and hook up the laptop and re calibrate. I watched them do it last week, I aint buying that model.

Comment

Working...
                                X