Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cold weather camping with the better half

Ok, the wife wants to start camping.

We have everything needed except we've not going cold weather camping.

From the YouTube videos its Mr Buddy or Electric heater.

How do you all heat the tent?

Wool blankets and an electric heater!

Comment

Sleeping bag for 2

Comment

If you have electricity I would recommend an electric heater. We did this up in Foard County before we got our cabin and trailer. Worked well. I’ll never trust a buddy heater in an enclosed space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Body friction.

Comment

I would look at the Exped mega mat. They have an R value of 8 or so. I sleep in a cot in the cold and even with a high R value pad it is not as warm as the ground would be. I use a Mr. buddy but only when I am awake. I know several that use them over night but I am always worried there could be an issue. I have a carbon monoxide detector also.

Make sure you have a good sleeping bag that is comfort rated for 15 degrees colder that your anticipated temperature. Depending on how cold you go you have to worry about water freezing in the tent.

Comment

I don't think I would run any heater over night. electric blanket under you, with a pad or air mattress of some sort. My wife and I usually zip together two sleeping bags, which keeps both of us warmer.

Other than that, it's pretty miserable. Which is why I bought a pop up tent camper.

Comment

Was in ozona this weekend small elc fan heater worked great till the 3 year old thing broke and it was 28° with the walls iceds then it was heated blanket on high

Comment

In Colorado it gets down in the 30s in September.. I just sleep in a sleeping bag. I sleep in my long underwear so getting dressed in the morning is quite as bad but it's still not fun. I don’t like air mattresses in cold weather unless you put several blankets on top of it..

Comment

If you don’t get it right, it can be a miserable experience.

Step one, have arrangements with lodging if y’all can’t take it.

Step two, have all the comforts of home in the truck cab if you can’t take it and don’t forget to leave a window cracked. That means food, snacks, drink, chargers, pillows, blankets.

Everything else is trial and error and I cold weather camp in any hardshell other than a tent. I camp in the cold probably 70 nights per year.

I would have a redundant system, electric, or propane.

Keep water in an empty icechest with some of those hand warmer things in it to help it not freeze.

Hoo-Ahh wipes to clean your body with

Toilet bucket and trash bag because it doesn’t freeze up

Last edited by Johnny44; 11-29-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                      Body friction.

Comment

Body friction.
                        Will 45 seconds of body friction last all night? I’m asking for a friend

Comment

Body friction.

I was going to suggest a “friction heater” then I saw this comment. Worked great for my wife & I before kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't be sissies. Zip two sleeping bags together. You're camping.

Comment

As someone mentioned an air mattress is not your friend in cold weather. The air inside will get cold and you will be miserable. My wife and I spent one of the most miserable nights ever in a camper shell on an air mattress.

You may be able to make it work if you can put one of the thermal pads between you and the mattress. Then use a small forced fan electric heater and an electric blanket and you’ll be golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X