Brow tines or dog catchers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brow tines or dog catchers?

When I was growing up we called them dog catchers. I see most people refer to them as brow tines. Anyone else call them dog catchers? Is it a regional thing? I am born and raised in Texas, but my dad is from Arkansas where they hunt deer with dogs.

Mostly brow tines but have also heard them called eye guards.

Comment

I have heard dog catchers, brows, brow tines, eye guards and 1st points. Definitely heard eye guards more in the mountains.

Comment

Raised in East Tx here and we always called them brows, brow tines, or eye guards. Never heard them called that personally.

Comment

Coastal South Texas....Browtines, brows, dogcatchers and eye guards... no set name

Added in G-1s as we got older and started pulling out a tape

Comment

While we are browsing.
            I have heard brows referred to as eye guards when referrring to Mulies and Coues.
            Brow tines for Whitetail.
            Shovels for Caribou.
            And...Caudles are the Axis term I believe.

Comment

I grew up in central Tx with family in the Burnet/Marble Falls area since the 1850's, and we called them dogcatchers.

Comment

Brows and eyeguards are what we called "G1s".

Grew up hunting NE TX and SW AR and we always called the extra points that stick out to the side on G2s/G3s "dogcatchers.

Comment

Browtines or G1 if the person knows what they're talking about.

Comment

couple of old guys on the lease i grew up hunting with my dad called them browtinges, still the only people i have ever heard call them that.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                      Browtines or G1 if the person knows what they're talking about.
                      Not necessarily. Us older dudes called them by many different names.

Comment

Almost exclusively referred to as browtines around here even when calling next horns as G2 G3 etc

Comment

Several of the old timers I know call them dog catchers. We have always referred to em as eye guards and some times brow tines. Last several years G1's have come into play.

Comment

Dog catchers my whole life in the Texas Hill Country.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Working...
                              X