Jaw Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaw Age

Yes, jaw aging isn't perfect. There are definitely a lot of variables, but looking for some guesses on this jaw.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Middle age. 3.5-4.5

Comment

Comment

Agree with 4.5

Comment

Comment

That is a classic 3 1/2 year old jaw wear pattern.

Lingual crest on tooth 4 is blunt. The dentine is as wide or wider than the enamel in tooth 4. The back cusp on tooth 6 is forming a concavity.

If it were 4 1/2, it would be this:

Lingual crest on tooth 4 are almost rounded off and lingual crest in tooth 5 are blunt. The dentine in tooth 4 is twice as wide as the enamel. The dentine in tooth 5 is wider than the enamel. The back cusp on tooth 6 is worn so badly that it slopes downward towards the cheek.

This is the best published document that I've ever seen on the technique of aging deer by teeth wear. Our biologist that helped us set up our management program gave it to us way back in 1985. It's been published several times since then by TPWD..

Aging Whitetail Deer Teeth.pdf

Comment

I think 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                That is a classic 3 1/2 year old jaw wear pattern.

Lingual crest on tooth 4 is blunt. The dentine is as wide or wider than the enamel in tooth 4. The back cusp on tooth 6 is forming a concavity.

If it were 4 1/2, it would be this:

Lingual crest on tooth 4 are almost rounded off and lingual crest in tooth 5 are blunt. The dentine in tooth 4 is twice as wide as the enamel. The dentine in tooth 5 is wider than the enamel. The back cusp on tooth 6 is worn so badly that it slopes downward towards the cheek.

This is the best published document that I've ever seen on the technique of aging deer by teeth wear. Our biologist that helped us set up our management program gave it to us way back in 1985. It's been published several times since then by TPWD..

[ATTACH]1022836[/ATTACH]

Comment

I see 3.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DeerGeek View Post
                    Middle age. 3.5-4.5
                    That's how I do it and how I see it.

Comment

Straight up 3.5. Left side leaves some question of a possible 4.5 (judgement on the width of the dentine on the 5th tooth), but, doesn't really look like it on the right side. 3.5 with differential wear.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                          Straight up 3.5. Left side leaves some question of a possible 4.5 (judgement on the width of the dentine on the 5th tooth), but, doesn't really look like it on the right side. 3.5 with differential wear.
                          So when you see a difference from side to side do you call it the younger or older age when recording for record keeping? I was taught way back when to go with the older side.

Comment

Comment

3.5. Maybe 4.5.

Comment

Working...
                              X