Will A Fire Affect Deer Behavior??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will A Fire Affect Deer Behavior??

Week before last my deer lease burned. My son and I went out there last weekend to hunt and check out the damage. I'm guessing around 50% burned but we were unable to check out certain area because of muddy roads. Although we saw deer every sit and my son shot a doe, since then I'm not getting very many game cam pictures. Just curious what y'alls experience has been?

Here's a short video of some of the damage.

I think any change will cause some difference, but once another routine is established, and the grow back is continued, all should be well.

Comment

Happened at our lease this year too. Deer back on camera in a matter of days and grass will come roaring back with a little rain. In long run it will only help your lease once fire is out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You bet it will. By next deer season you will have deer everywhere feeding on that new growth.

Comment

We had app 1,300 acres burn on our lease just before the season started. I didn't notice much difference. We still saw deer in the burned area and the deer still showed up at the feeders. It should be fine and possibly even better by next season.

Comment

They will be back Fire is good for new growth come spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It will help tremendously. New grass will shoot up , helps kill off some fireants and ticks. If done correctly fire is very beneficial to the habitat. I would love to see a controlled burn on our lease.

Comment

Man that's gonna be a natural food plot! The deer will be all over that area when the new growth comes in. Glad it wasn't too bad with no major damage.

Comment

Wait until spring! You will have new growth that will attract probably more deer than you had before the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    Wait until spring! You will have new growth that will attract probably more deer than you had before the fire.
                    I had some illegal aliens set off some buffle grass it burned out
                    5000 of our 14000 acres, after green up it was much better than before, I was worried to till I saw how strong it came back

Watched the video and it doesn’t look bad
                    No houses or trailers, blinds burned?
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-23-2020, 08:08 AM.

Comment

The new growth grass will help tremendously. Fire is good for ranches as long as controlled.

Comment

In the last 6 years and on two different occasions portions of our Christoval lease burnt. Both were very hot fires that pretty much moon scaped areas. For both of these events, deer population dropped in those burned areas until vegetation started back. We still had wildlife in burned areas, just not the quantity as before.

Fast forward 4/5 years after the first fire, that pasture is now our best pasture as for as quality of deer. Maybe BPhiilps can chime in, we shared the first fire with his ranch......

Hope the above helps.

Rwc

Comment

Now you can use smoke as a cover scent and they’ll never know you’re there!!

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                            You bet it will. By next deer season you will have deer everywhere feeding on that new growth.
                            X2

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                              I had some illegal aliens set off some buffle grass it burned out
                              5000 of our 14000 acres, after green up it was much better than before, I was worried to till I saw how strong it came back

Watched the video and it doesn’t look bad
                              No houses or trailers, blinds burned?
                              I have 1 camera on the side of the lease we couldn't access that might have burned. But other than that no damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X