No announcement yet.

Most Underrated Cartridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO Any of the calibers Remington released and then didn’t market well or provide decent ammo for. 260 & 280 both get lots of love but deserve way more.

Comment

This is so true^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
        IMO Any of the calibers Remington released and then didn’t market well or provide decent ammo for. 260 & 280 both get lots of love but deserve way more.
        Can’t argue that !

Comment

3030 and 357 magnum

Comment

Throw my vote in for the 264 Win Mag. It was hammering heavy 6.5 pills waayyy down range long before the magic of the 6.5's were "discovered" by the mainstream. It's only gotten better with age and modern components.

Comment

40 s&w is pretty underrated too. It can do 600 foot pounds out of a 5 inch gun with 180 grain bullets and tends to be much more versatile than people give it credit for. Yep hotrodded 9 equals housebroke 40, but full power 40 is a whole nother thing

Comment

6.5x55 and 358 win

Comment

This right here. If Remington marketed as well as Hornady does, we would have likely never had the Creedmoor craze.

Comment

I believe the 22-250 is slightly underrated. That thing is a killing machine.
                    In a pistol even though small it is extremely deadly, I'd have to go with the FN 5.7.

Comment

Many of the calibers listed here, I don't think are under rated, I would say more over looked or forgotten, because of the marketing done for other calibers, hype on other calibers or the latest fad.

I would not list the 30-06 as under rated, nor the 22-250, 357 Mag. The 30-30 might be under rated by some, but more of a case of the modern fads don't usually include lever guns or single shots chambered for calibers like the 30-30. The 30-30, 30-06, 243 were for many years the most popular deer rifle calibers. Yes modern trends are going towards other calibers, but there are millions of guns chambered for each of those calibers still floating around and lots of ammo for each.

I have always considered the 250 Savage or 250-3000, 300 Savage and the 6.5X55 Swede, some of the most overlooked good to great calibers out there. I think the Savage rounds would have been great choices for single shot pistols that used to be a lot more common than they are today, but the single shot pistols are making a comeback, somewhat. They would also be good choices for something like a Remington Model 7.

Nothing really comes to mind, when I think under rated calibers, but I can think of a lot of forgotten or over looked calibers.

Comment

30.06 Boring? It beat the Nazi's and helped win a war for us!!
                        My vote would be for the 35 Whelen, which is also a necked up 30.06. As you can tell I'm a big 30 caliber fan.

Comment

Throw in a couple scatter gun rounds, just to get things heated. Lol

16ga

28ga

28ga great for dove. Doesn’t have the cool factor of a .410 20ga or 12ga but a better starter shotgun for kids.

Comment

dang , I like`um all !!!! have several !! glad for the choices we have ! can you imagie how BORING it would be just to have a small number of choice cals.

Comment

Very true but I don't think they are underrated, it's just that the .270 and 6.5 creedmoor are way overrated.

I've played with a lot of different cartridges and tried most of them on whitetails, so far the one that has impressed me the most but is considered weak in the US is the 8x57.

Comment

264 mag and 260 Rem

Comment

Working...
                                X