Texas Crutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Crutch

First try at the Crutch method. Only my 3rd. brisket I have tried. I turned out very good, nice bark, smoke ring, very tender, and moist. Not dry at all. Used a recipe I saw on one of those cooking shows.
    First pull, 170 deg. after wrap, pulled at 205, and then 3 hrs in cooler.
    I was very pleased.
    Attached Files

I do that occasionally but will sear it to firm up the bark.

Comment

This is what I always do. I think sitting it in the cooler makes a big difference

Comment

Cooler method does make huge difference, not so good on cooler though

Comment

Looks like a winner to me

Comment

Looks good. I'm a fan of wrapping (I use butcher paper) and resting in the cooler. The longer the rest the better IMO.

Look at the piece on your left in the top picture. Notice the seam? I'd recommend separating the Point from the Flat at that seam before cutting so you can cut across the grain. Doing this will prevent shredding while slicing. The grain on those two pieces don't run the same way.

Comment

I’ve only done one and that is similar to what I did. I was actually trying to pull it around 195 but it went a little longer. Turned out pretty good.

Comment

I did turn that section 90 deg from the flat so I was cutting across the grain. It was super tender and would have shred either way I think. Thanks for the information! Wife likes the fat.

Comment

I used this process.
                  Season 12, Episode 1 Recap: Texas Barbecue Brisket

The challenge: a whole, hulking 12-pound brisket cooked to juicy tenderness completely on a backyard charcoal grill. Could it be done?

Comment

That looks so good

Comment

Working...
                    X