Today’s youth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
    My cousin is a school teacher and coach for a middle school. An 8th grader, who has been a huge pain the entire year, stepped up to my cousin and threatened to hit him. My cousin, after about 3 months of taking crap and not being able to do anything about it because the kid has issues, said something of go ahead, step up and take a swing. I'll knock your *** to the ground.

Guess who went to the assistant principal's office? Not the kid. Sad.
    That will be my son, and I will be very proud of him. He will tell the assistant principle why he did it, the lesson he learned from doing it and how it will benefit him in his future.

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanBuck View Post
      No way I would be a teacher these days with the **** pay and punk *** kids. I'd end up strangling the disrespectful little *******s.
      School called me and asked if I would drive a bus I said if it comes with a Baseball Bat and permission to use it...They never called again...

Comment

Anyone who is still dealing with these savages this day and age is a warrior.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
          Will my step daughter was finishing up her masters and for a part time job thought it would be nice to substitute teach some. This lasted about a month. Last week a student called her a b!$&@ and you know what the school did. Not one thing except talk to the kid in the hallway and send him back to class. That was her last day ! She could not believe that admin did not support her more than that. I can’t believe it either.
          Dude where have you been? Have you not read a teacher rant thread in the last 10 years?

It's a crap ton worse than being called a name. Kids get away with anything these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            I blame the parents...man, when I got in trouble in school I was more worried about getting home vs already getting whoop'd by 'mr. grouch'.

Now the parents stick up for the little brats & threaten the teachers / admins & sure this alone is making many good educators take another path.
            Think about this.. The more good teachers leave means less good people to fight for what's best for the kids...which then makes it easier for parents to let their kids have their way and get away with even more...which makes even more good/decent teachers leave....spiral down hill!

My wife is a teacher and heard the CCO talking to a group of teachers at a meeting and said they're in the customer service business... LOL That's seriously how schools are looked at now.

Comment

All products of their environment...………………
              you show me a troubled kid...……..
              I'll show you, a troubled home...………….
              I subbed for a few years in Weatherford...……….
              I bailed, after 3 years...……...

Comment

I agree school administers don't discipline like they should. Probably in fear of a lawsuit if you hurt precious johnny's feelings.

I also believe we only amplify the problem child and nobody ever mentions the many students that don't misbehave. It's like the media, they only talk about how the sky is falling and never about the good in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  ok, I got a few questions or statements or thoughts on this.
                  Is this a liberal thing or a societal thing. I am not talking politics, I am speaking from a community change that has taken place over the last 35 years or so. This is not ONLY in the not so pleasant neighborhoods but also in the upper crust suburbs from what I have observed and read on TBH over the decades. So one question is......ARE WE the problem? Before you answer don't say MY KIDS are not the ones causing issues......as that is NOT the question. Do WE have to look in the mirror and say we have not held up our end of the bargain called public/private education??? Did the greatest generation say the baby boomers are horrible? Are the baby boomers saying we messed up our kids? Or are both groups saying WE did our best and ONLY WANTED THINGS better than what we had growing up? I look at these threads and have mixed thoughts on the subject.
                  Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                  My cousin is a school teacher and coach for a middle school. An 8th grader, who has been a huge pain the entire year, stepped up to my cousin and threatened to hit him. My cousin, after about 3 months of taking crap and not being able to do anything about it because the kid has issues, said something of go ahead, step up and take a swing. I'll knock your *** to the ground.

Guess who went to the assistant principal's office? Not the kid. Sad.

I dunno if it's the youth though. Am I wrong in saying every generation for the last 100 years has had sh!*head kids in it? Haven't there always been kids acting out? I think the problem, at least based on OP's story and mine, that we've taken away rules, punishment and consequences. And that's on adults. I blame the left.
                  IMO it's called the schools catering to the few. The left leaning people come in and threaten to sue if their kid gets paddled..So they stop paddling. Then on to the next thing.

I don't know many conservatives who would tell a good teacher to not discipline their kid.

To answer Landrovers question someone can look up when public schools went to crap in cali and then here... I bet time out started there first etc..

Comment

Don’t blame the administrators, they’re doing what they are told to do. Blame the parents 100%.

Comment

ok, I got a few questions or statements or thoughts on this.
                      Is this a liberal thing or a societal thing. I am not talking politics, I am speaking from a community change that has taken place over the last 35 years or so. This is not ONLY in the not so pleasant neighborhoods but also in the upper crust suburbs from what I have observed and read on TBH over the decades. So one question is......ARE WE the problem? Before you answer don't say MY KIDS are not the ones causing issues......as that is NOT the question. Do WE have to look in the mirror and say we have not held up our end of the bargain called public/private education??? Did the greatest generation say the baby boomers are horrible? Are the baby boomers saying we messed up our kids? Or are both groups saying WE did our best and ONLY WANTED THINGS better than what we had growing up? I look at these threads and have mixed thoughts on the subject.
                      I believe it is a societal thing. A combination of the erosion of basic manners and increase in a sense of entitlement. When I was in school there were plenty of mouthy, disrespectful students. (Plenty of crappy parents, too) The difference was they couldn’t get away with it as easily because educators were allowed to use the tools necessary to keep it under control. There were also more parents who punished their children who misbehaved in school instead of taking their side no matter what they did. It has very little if anything to do with politics (liberal/conservative) IMO. Either you raise your kids to be respectful and let them suffer the consequences when they screw up or you don’t.

Comment

"Blame the parents!" [emoji848]
                        So WE are the problem for the non-sense occuring in all facets of schools. It is poor to non existent parenting in every socio-economic strata. If WE all agree, is this just a passing phase or putting us one generation closer being less than what we are capable of as a country? Rome wasnt built in a day , but it fell on 2 generations.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                          I believe it is a societal thing. A combination of the erosion of basic manners and increase in a sense of entitlement. When I was in school there were plenty of mouthy, disrespectful students. (Plenty of crappy parents, too) The difference was they couldn’t get away with it as easily because educators were allowed to use the tools necessary to keep it under control. There were also more parents who punished their children who misbehaved in school instead of taking their side no matter what they did. It has very little if anything to do with politics (liberal/conservative) IMO. Either you raise your kids to be respectful and let them suffer the consequences when they screw up or you don’t.
                          Oops, just seeing this response. That is what I tend to surmise also. Just wondering if WE can look in the mirror and accept we all have let this fall to a state of embarrassment. Or, are we the only ones that are embarrassed?

Comment

I’ve been called tons worse before lunch on a normal day. You have to pick your battles. Admin isn’t much better. If they see you referring kids to them more and more they will think you are the problem and will want to send you to more training. Bottom line is do what you have to do to connect with kids and run your room. There is no one size fits all solution. I have found that making a relationship with each one and connecting with them is the best way. Connecting with the worse of the worse and the best of the best. Yes they are going to cuss, yes they are going to cuss at you. Is being called a b$&@h something you want to address now or let it go and address it later once you have a relationship established??? Idk each person will handle different. I hope found that once the relationship is established and expectations are set they will walk through fire for you. However there will always be that one who won’t respond to you and you hope they will with someone else in the building. It’s the world we live in and it sucks so we have to be the positive interaction these kids have every day.

Comment

Like rat stated & I agree they are catering to the few & it's these 'few parents' that are to blame because they feel their children are angels or should be excused because of their troubled home or who knows why they would defend bad behavior?? It wasn't anything like this in our day. Why the few are creating a new standard is bizarre & may have some societal changes I may not be considering.

My son was voted best all around / nominated by his teachers & fellow students his Sr year of hs...we didn't even know he was popular. All his buds were the most well behaved young men & woman a parent could have visit their home. Some I know were single parent homes, so I firmly believe it really all goes back to structure, discipline & respect in their upbringing.

"Blame the parents!" [emoji848]
                              So WE are the problem for the non-sense occuring in all facets of schools. It is poor to non existent parenting in every socio-economic strata. If WE all agree, is this just a passing phase or putting us one generation closer being less than what we are capable of as a country? Rome wasnt built in a day , but it fell on 2 generations.

Comment

Blame the Department of Education. It's been all downhill since it was created.
                                That's why mine go to a private school

Comment

Working...
                                X