Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska
Default Some of these TV bowhunting "PRO's" really need to just quit!!!!

They need to quit hunting big game animals and stick to shooting carp..
Being laid up the last 2 weeks nursing shoulder surgery I have been watching more TV than I normally would in 6 months..
That being said I have been watching quite a few of these JegLeg hunting shows..
I'm blown away and disgusted at how many TV yahoos are perfectly fine with "coming back tomorrow" after evening hunts to track bucks that clearly hit vitally.. Mortally wounded.. They announce it the minute they get out of the blind/stand and before zero effort is taken to find the animal... Unreal.. Then they return the next morning and find the deer easily.. It didn't go 75 yards and guess what? Coyotes have ate or destroyed everything but the head BUT WAIT they are perfectly fine with that because they "found the rack"!!! This really burns my azz!!
They obviously do not know how irresponsible this is or do not think this is wrong because they are always so proud to have just found just the "Rack"... They are in it clearly for the wrong reason.. I just wittnessed this on a show called "The Final Decent" and that's is just one of many..... They also do other things that make it obvious that they are clueless but I'm done typing!! That some serious BS!!!
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

Seen it time and again. Burns my rear too.
You leave a deer overnight in my woods and something will eat it.
I love the way the camera angles try to hide the mess the ‘yotes left
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 04:24 PM   #3
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Self produced hunts on youtube are lightyears ahead of the TV hunters.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 04:30 PM   #4
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Being laid up the last 2 weeks nursing shoulder surgery I have been watching more TV than I normally would in 6 months..
That being said I have been watching quite a few of these JegLeg hunting shows..
I'm blown away and disgusted at how many TV yahoos are perfectly fine with "coming back tomorrow" after evening hunts to track bucks that clearly hit vitally.. Mortally wounded.. They announce it the minute they get out of the blind/stand and before zero effort is taken to find the animal... Unreal.. Then they return the next morning and find the deer easily.. It didn't go 75 yards and guess what? Coyotes have ate or destroyed everything but the head BUT WAIT they are perfectly fine with that because they "found the rack"!!! This really burns my azz!!
They obviously do not know how irresponsible this is or do not think this is wrong because they are always so proud to have just found just the "Rack"... They are in it clearly for the wrong reason.. I just wittnessed this on a show called "The Final Decent" and that's is just one of many..... They also do other things that make it obvious that they are clueless but I'm done typing!! That some serious BS!!!
Where have you been ? That’s the main reason I stopped watching hunting shows about ten years ago.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #5
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

I see the following scenario also...**the shot***...hits deer 2” in front of hindquarter. There’s fist bumping and the proverbial “schmoked him”! Yes you schmoked him if you were aiming for the small intestine/paunch combo.

Can’t they just say “oh crap that was terrible?” And then do everything they can to find the deer? They do seem to have a good rate of finding them though.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #6
Bucknaked
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Glad it’s not just Me! I don’t watch hunting shows anymore unless they are on YouTube!
I also can’t stand the danged music they play amongst all of the Fake hunts ! Sorry- you got me started
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 04:41 PM   #7
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Where have you been ? That’s the main reason I stopped watching hunting shows about ten years ago.
I haven't watched many if any in a long time because I try to stay busy but I remember the last one I did watch discussed me then too.
Some guy was bow hunting a really big buck in North Texas. The buck came in broadside at 18 yards. He draws, shoots and hit the buck perfect!! Mortally...
The problems all started when he knocked his kriptonite coated, super light weight arrow tipped with some panzy *** tiny 75gr BH.. The arrow penetrated maybe 3-4 inches and the buck ran off and was never found.... The need for speed and lack of having a clue about setting up a hunting rig caused a great buck to run off crippled and surely die..
A good setup would have blew smooth through that buck even at a 45lb draw..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 05-02-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:47 PM   #8
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Infomercials for hunting gear.................
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #9
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

For sure---I gave up on them too.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #10
Trapper76
Eight Point

Most of the shows on television give the true sportsman a bad name. More of a outdoor fashion show infomercial, than anything that resembles true hunting. I quit watching years ago.
Trapper76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #11
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
I see the following scenario also...**the shot***...hits deer 2” in front of hindquarter. There’s fist bumping and the proverbial “schmoked him”! Yes you schmoked him if you were aiming for the small intestine/paunch combo.

Can’t they just say “oh crap that was terrible?” And then do everything they can to find the deer? They do seem to have a good rate of finding them though.
Oh yea I know that guy. The one who is always schmocking or schlocking something at 70-100 yards with no sights...
I would love to know what his TRUE wound/kill ratio truly is.... On second thought I probably don't want to know!! He has a hail of a fan base which is also distubing to me..
Old 05-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #12
Bucknaked
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Infomercials for hunting gear.................
Well, mostly for junk and gimmicks anyway!
Old 05-02-2021, 04:54 PM   #13
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Check out The Hunting Public and The Element on YouTube, by far the best Hunting content I've come across. None of the infomercial nonsense and you can tell these guys live to hunt!
arrowsmack324 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 05:07 PM   #14
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
Check out The Hunting Public and The Element on YouTube, by far the best Hunting content I've come across. None of the infomercial nonsense and you can tell these guys live to hunt!
Oh yea I have watched a few of those videos by those Public Land hunting fellas. Those guys are on their A game. That long haired young man is a hunting machine!! Impressive.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #15
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
Glad it’s not just Me! I don’t watch hunting shows anymore unless they are on YouTube!

I also can’t stand the danged music they play amongst all of the Fake hunts ! Sorry- you got me started
Yeah, same here. I watch Michael Waddell and Cameron Hanes. These dudes motivate me....but I watch them in moderation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #16
Bucknaked
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoythunter02 View Post
Yeah, same here. I watch Michael Waddell and Cameron Hanes. These dudes motivate me....but I watch them in moderation.

I used to watch Waddel but he’s even gone by the wayside IMHO!
Old 05-02-2021, 05:17 PM   #17
crowmagnum
Eight Point

Had that happen to me last fall.It happens,even if you look all night.
crowmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #18
HNT ETX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

Quote:
Oh yea I know that guy. The one who is always schmocking or schlocking something at 70-100 yards with no sights...
I would love to know what his TRUE wound/kill ratio truly is.... On second thought I probably don't want to know!! He has a hail of a fan base which is also distubing to me..
I would not lump Tim Wells in with the yahoos making hunting shows these days? Dont think he is going anywhere even if you are, but he been doing this for a loooomg time. Has a very impressive trophy room or should i say house (has an old camp that most his stuff in). Took him two epsiodes just to go through his trophy room, and that was several years ago.

The wolf episode is pretty impressive and he made a crazy shot to close the deal.

Last edited by HNT ETX; 05-02-2021 at 05:20 PM.
HNT ETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #19
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNT ETX View Post
I would not lump Tim Wells in with the yahoos making hunting shows these days? Dont think he is going anywhere even if you are, but he been doing this for a loooomg time. Has a very impressive trophy room or should i say house (has an old camp that most his stuff in). Took him two epsiodes just to go through his trophy room, and that was several years ago.

The wolf episode is pretty impressive and he made a crazy shot to close the deal.
Like I said, he has a following.. Always has.. Not a fan here.. A bunch of Years ago I was.
The spear chunking lost me. His clean misses were so for off the mark I dont even want to think about what his wound ratio has to be... Sure a few will eventually hit their mark..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 05-02-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:31 PM   #20
basskicker24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe county/ Ozona

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
Self produced hunts on youtube are lightyears ahead of the TV hunters.

This. Lots of good hunters on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
basskicker24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 05:32 PM   #21
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Meat Eater and Solo Huntr are the only hunting shows I’ve watched in a long time because the rest of ****ing awful trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check them out
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 05:42 PM   #22
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Was wondering why your posts have been so p issy lately.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 05:47 PM   #23
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

Hunt In: old u.s.m.c. camys

I am sure that this will chap the hide of other's here but the very same with gar bow fishing shows. I cant stand to see a 6 foot gar shot and not put in the ice chest. clean it and then eat it.
bryan sandlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #24
HNT ETX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

Quote:
Like I said, he has a following.. Always has.. Not a fan here.. A bunch of Years ago I was.
The spear chunking lost me. His clean misses were so for off the mark I dont even want to think about what his wound ratio has to be... Sure a few will eventually hit their mark..
Haters gonna hate

I do agree that things have changed as the years progressed. But i have no issues with him. Since the last election i have bn searching for something to watch and watch things i normally would not. The other day i happed up on “for love or likes”. Talk about an embarrassment to hunting. I was ashamed that that type of thing is associated with hunting. That kid from Wildgame Innovations crew is a part of it, not surprised he is associated with a show that is sub par, kinda like anything WI.

Last edited by HNT ETX; 05-02-2021 at 06:08 PM.
HNT ETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #25
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Quote:
Haters gonna hate

I do agree that things have changed as the years progressed. But i have no issues with him. Since the last election i have bn searching for something to watch and watch things i normally would not. The other day i happed up on “for love or likes”. Talk about an embarrassment to hunting. I was ashamed that that type of thing is associated with hunting. That kid from Wildgame Innovations crew is a part of it, not surprised he is associated with a show that is sub par, kinda like anything WI.
How the hell are the Busbices so rich?

Old 05-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #26
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Watch these guys hunting east coast monsters in the suburbs. Great videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyB...60yeQYcqo9KD9A
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 09:13 PM   #27
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

That is why I never watch hunting shows. Most are NWAS!!!
Oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 10:12 PM   #28
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post

I still watch now and then, but I mostly turn down the sound. I already know what they are saying, and just don’t want to hear the “smoked ‘em”, sky pointing, fist bumping, mouth foaming sound. Have no sound, but I still like watching the critters and cool looking country. Just ignore the infomercials.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 10:30 PM   #29
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Tim Wells really loss me with the spear and blow guns. Waddell loss me with the horrible drama on his divorce and new marriage. The Busbices are extremely difficult to watch....even 7 years ago or so. Somebody mentioned that show with the women. I watched ONE segment and was embarrassed. Tiffany & Lee have ran their course well but that train seems old now. I still like Shocky produced stuff due to the quality of the production and multiple species & location. Meat eater is majority rifle so never keeps my attention thru a full show. I will check the utube stuff soon.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 10:36 PM   #30
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Quote:

Helluva shot. Well at least the ones he shows you.
Not a fan but he's better than some of them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 10:40 PM   #31
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoythunter02 View Post

Nick Mundt is the serious killer in that trio. T Bone is funny, and a shooter but limited how he hunts. Weddell settled down a lot with his second wife.
But Mundt is serious.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:03 PM   #32
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Tim Wells really loss me with the spear and blow guns. Waddell loss me with the horrible drama on his divorce and new marriage. The Busbices are extremely difficult to watch....even 7 years ago or so. Somebody mentioned that show with the women. I watched ONE segment and was embarrassed. Tiffany & Lee have ran their course well but that train seems old now. I still like Shocky produced stuff due to the quality of the production and multiple species & location. Meat eater is majority rifle so never keeps my attention thru a full show. I will check the utube stuff soon.

100% agreement here!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 11:25 PM   #33
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Seems to me that if it were brought to the attention of a local game warden, he may be interested in investigating lack of reasonable effort to retrieve game.

These TV shows seem to kill lots of animals and they're always out traveling so that cuts into their time having to have a plan for the meat for each one.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 11:42 PM   #34
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

They don't have a nationwide dog tracking list.
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 05:07 AM   #35
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post

Yes.. Jim Shockey is the real deal and always has been.. He is disgusted by some of these same things.. If I was going to set my DVR to record a hunting show it would be his.. A Yukon moose hunt with him is a hunt that I really want to do before I get too old...
Old 05-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #36
ACbob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sabinal & Victoria Cnty

Maybe write to some of the sponsors about hunting ethics? Agree with most here and don't watch any of them. The shot angles finished me off.
ACbob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 07:21 AM   #37
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Nick Mundt is the serious killer in that trio. T Bone is funny, and a shooter but limited how he hunts. Weddell settled down a lot with his second wife.
But Mundt is serious.

Yeah he has...and hunts his home farm alot...550 acres in Georgia. Growing some good bucks too. I enjoy the family value in his shows.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:22 AM   #38
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

My half brother is from Jersey. No hunting experience whatsoever. He was on an outdoor kick for awhile and stumbled across a Donnie Vincent clip a few years back. Truly some great footage on his videos. So I told my brother about “the outdoor channel” and also “sportsman’s channel” after the first night if watching it he said “ it was very hard to tell weather it was the show or commercials. Do they make their own commercials during the shows? I was confused “

I laughed. And realized not only are there a ton of commercials during the show but most of the show is advertising as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 07:40 AM   #39
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes.. Jim Shockey is the real deal and always has been.. He is disgusted by some of these same things.. If I was going to set my DVR to record a hunting show it would be his.. A Yukon moose hunt with him is a hunt that I really want to do before I get too old...
Problem for me with shockey is he sounds and acts like a rich guy with no grasp of the average hunter. Like he is on some spiritual hunting plane us mere mortals can't hope to attain.
Plus he is a rifleman first and I prefer bowhunting.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:02 AM   #40
Bucknaked
Six Point

Quote:
Problem for me with shockey is he sounds and acts like a rich guy with no grasp of the average hunter. Like he is on some spiritual hunting plane us mere mortals can't hope to attain.
Plus he is a rifleman first and I prefer bowhunting.

Nothing wrong with rich guys! He seems humble!
Old 05-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #41
ATX Tyler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central, TX

I haven't had the outdoor channel in a long time, but I'm amazed at some of the stuff that makes it on there vs what's available on Youtube and Roku etc.

Bowhunt or Die on Youtube - all bowhunting and a TON of episodes, but we've lost a couple to coyotes over the years. It happens.

Midwest Whitetail on Youtube - almost all bowhunting, and the video quality is usually top notch, and the music is low-key.

Destination Elk on Youtube - I've gotten into some elk hunting vids a bit more, and these guys are enjoyable to watch. A fair amount of bowhunting, but some rifle/ML as well.
ATX Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #42
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
Nothing wrong with rich guys! He seems humble!
I agree it's not about the rich. Rich folks make the economy run. I don't make much money on poor folks.
Like I said, it's the attitude of his elevated awareness. It's not I don't like him. I believe he is a stand up guy.
Kinda like those church folks who think their seat is a lot closer to God's than yours.
Just hard for me to relate to them. Or him.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #43
Dave W
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crystal City

Try Cody and Kelsy
Cody used to be Shockeys camera guy in Shockey's peak
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #44
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

Bowmar willsure track them down at night
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #45
Bucknaked
Six Point

Quote:
I agree it's not about the rich. Rich folks make the economy run. I don't make much money on poor folks.
Like I said, it's the attitude of his elevated awareness. It's not I don't like him. I believe he is a stand up guy.
Kinda like those church folks who think their seat is a lot closer to God's than yours.
Just hard for me to relate to them. Or him.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #46
Scubasteveo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kennard,anywhere else I can mooch

The Western Hunter is about as real as it gets. Most of the show is archery hunting on public land out west. A couple episodes here and there with guns.
Scubasteveo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #47
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

I bet its been since 99 or 2000 since the last time I watched a hunting show. I want to say the last show I watched was Brittingham drilling a Brown bear with his bow at 20 yards. Great video by the way.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #48
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I find it odd that all of the females are smoking hot. It's like average chunky girls don't hunt. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #49
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

The Hunting Public
Western Hunter
Meateater
Midwest Whitetail
and on occasions Red Arrow
I think these shows keep it real
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #50
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Besides Red Arrow, YouTube is where the good hunting shows are now.

My favorites
Midwest Whitetail
Seek One - Some really cool urban hunting series
4B Outdoors (Texas fella and I think he may be on TBH, not sure)
Mullet Man (Texas fella) - good mix of traveling for hunting and fishing.
Growingdeer.tv - they show hunts but also talk about property improvements.
Ranch Fairy (Texas fella) - bowhunting focused with videos on archery setups and testing
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top