Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I rid 2 acres of stickers in grass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I rid 2 acres of stickers in grass?

How can I get rid of stickers in the yard? I am infested and its tough for the kids to play much less just walk around. I understand it may be a process and Im all for it. Just need to know how to get started.

Stop mowing them (Increases the spread). You can put down a pre-emergent twice a year. Start pulling them up by the roots! It's a very long process.

Comment

Originally posted by Booger74 View Post
      Stop mowing them (Increases the spread). You can put down a pre-emergent twice a year. Start pulling them up by the roots! It's a very long process.
      Yep. No way to kill once up.

What kills them will kill all grass as well

Comment

Originally posted by Booger74 View Post
        This! Dig them up before you mow. It will takes years to get some control. They also make a spray for them that can be used when it is really hot in July or august. Pre-emergent, dig them up, spray them, water lawn good and fertilize heavy.

Comment

Fire then re-seed

Comment

Figured burning it off would help but it may not

Comment

Glyphosate! That will get rid of them

Along with everything else

Comment

I'm fighting the same thing. Only thing I have found is to dig them up and burn em. Pre emergent around first week of march and reapply 90 days later is supposed to help. Will be putting that on the calendar for the spring.

Comment

I can kill them once they're up with MSM turf, without harming most grasses. Fertilze during mid to late winter with a fertilizer high in nitrogen.pre-emergent in early spring.

Comment

2 acres??

Attached Files

Comment

A friend of mine, that does yard work and pipeline maintenance told me that if you mow, every day, they'll die out.

We don't have ANY stickers, so I don't know if this is true or not.

Comment

The stickers remain viable for 7 years in the soil.

I applied Surflan XL 2G Herbicide every 90 days for 7 years and was able to eradicate them from my place.

Comment

Had that problem last year......bad......I put out weed and feed last winter and again in early spring. From March through mid June I cut the grass high to help choke out what the weed and feed didn't kill. Kids have been playing barefoot for months now and not one complaint about stickers anymore

Comment

For a Bermuda lawn msma or msm. MSMA will kill everything but Bermuda, but need to be sprayed in warmer weather. MSM will probably help a little this time of year. Fertilize , premerge, and spray in the spring and summer.

MSM is really hard to mix in smaller batches.
                            Last edited by BrianL; 10-21-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                              The stickers remain viable for 7 years in the soil.

I applied Surflan XL 2G Herbicide every 90 days for 7 years and was able to eradicate them from my place.
                              A friend of mine who has a lawn maintenance company said that is the reason you burn. The fire will heat the ground "pop" the stickers like popcorn. This worked for my ex and I on Goatheads

Comment

Working...
                              X