Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

draw weight for kids to shoot first deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

draw weight for kids to shoot first deer?

my son is shooting 30-32lbs right now and drew an archery hunt in December. He's never shot a deer(or anything) with his bow before. I was thinking we would try to get him up to about 35lbs in time for his hunt and that would be sufficient. He'll only shoot under 20 yards and it will be little SE TX does. Shooting razor sharp 125 grain(tested on my knuckle which I cut a big chunk out of the other day) Magnus Black Hornets w 50 grain inserts for a little better FOC which has helped with his accuracy. Draw length is about 23" right now I think. Maybe 24".

Y'all think that will be ok? Backup plan is to just shoot the crossbow but would really like to get him a shot at a deer or pig with his bow. We practice shooting a lot fwiw.

also, I'm considering switching him to Magnus Stingers for the more gradual blade angle to help with penetration. Should I bother with that or stick with the Black Hornets?

I believe I started at 35 or 40lbs I can't recall exactly which one, but I did put a deer down with it. Most important thing is accuracy!

Comment

great to see your pushing it. I explored this when my boys were young and we used similar set up with hoyt banshee bow at same draw and arrow length i used 75 up front with 145 magnus 2 blade which helps foc and the obvious over spined arrow due to length. sharp and targets at 10 -12 yards. oldest started killing deer with this set up at 9 and killed many. after learning on him my youngest got the bear young gun i think it was called and he could barely pull it with it all the way down when he was little and he killed javi with heart shot by himself in a pop up which i thought was crazy till he drug it to the road. kids can do amazing things. he then used same set up and stronger bow weight as he got older killing 3 pigs at 7 and 3 does and a cull buck at 8 out of same tree stand his brother killed his first buck at nine years of age. I only mention all this to the naysayers married to karens that think these young bucks are not capable with positive reinforcement and proper teaching. the oldest won the physics part of his science fair with arrow penetration studies when he was 8 or 9. I think your set up will work as long as you stay with heavy arrow and sharp 2 blade and close shots. momentum not kinetic energy is the key. sorry I am long winded but i wish you great success youare about to have the most fun a dad can have. go getem
      Last edited by stickbow; 09-16-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

He will be fine with that set up.

Comment

Let er rip! The man that got me started bowhunting said that many a deer went down from a 20# fiberglass recurve back in the 40's and 50's.

Comment

my daughter put a doe down past 2 season with her bow at 30lbs and that was at 11 and 12 years old. the magnus stinger regular 2 blade with bleeders did not give us much blood trail so we are trying the buzz cut this year. good luck this season shot placement is key

Comment

yes it is way more about the sum of all parts than any one individual attribute

and i will say that after getting 3 very successful young bow hunters going the most important thing is a sharp cutting tip
              secondly its about getting as much power stroke as possible (not about draw length and pounds pulled)

my 6 year old killed his first deer last year with a 18" draw 23lbs and was shooting a 1.75" mechanical broadhead.... yes that seems crazy but there is more to it than what is the surface level thinking
              there are just so many ways to accomplish the goal which will be a successful happy young hunter

Comment

Originally posted by zanemanaggie View Post
                yes it is way more about the sum of all parts than any one individual attribute

and i will say that after getting 3 very successful young bow hunters going the most important thing is a sharp cutting tip
                secondly its about getting as much power stroke as possible (not about draw length and pounds pulled)

my 6 year old killed his first deer last year with a 18" draw 23lbs and was shooting a 1.75" mechanical broadhead.... yes that seems crazy but there is more to it than what is the surface level thinking
                there are just so many ways to accomplish the goal which will be a successful happy young hunter
                now this is very impressive what was the range.

Comment

pics

pics
                  Attached Files

Comment

my son shot his two deer pictured above at 8-9yds first deer
                    and about 5yds second deer

he was only shooting about 153fps
                    and that is with as light an arrow as i can build (5gr / inch but with a 100gr broadhead)
                    my kids arrows are usually 200-250gr total weight

Comment

thanks everyone. This makes me feel better about it. I want to make sure it is a good experience for him.

Comment

arrow

this years bullet
                        220gr with a 75gr xecusioner...
                        Attached Files

Comment

here is a video of my son last october getting his first deer

broadhead was a Rocky Mountain warhead

Comment

My son shot his first two archery deer with a similar setup. I think 35-38# and using 2 blade Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts. They shot all the way thru a doe and a very old 10 point at 10-12 yards. The only negative is they bled very little and left a very poor blood trail.

Comment

Originally posted by zanemanaggie View Post
                              pics
                              That's AWESOME!

Comment

Working...
                              X