Skid steer demand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skid steer demand?

I’m wanting to get a feel for what the market is with these things. Ive got a solid old skid steer, truck and trailer already, so no overhead to start out with. I bought this machine to clean up around my place and because it was too good of a deal to pass up at the time. Now that i’ve gotten done with what i needed it for i am wanting to get a feel for if it would be a worthwhile part time gig. My only attachment is a bucket but ive gotten decent at clearing out scrub brush and smaller ceders with it. And i’ll probably pick up a grapple to make burn piles easier.

So for you guys that do this for a living, is there money to be made for an amateur and what attachments do you use the most? Any other pointers?

Originally posted by CPR09 View Post
    I’m wanting to get a feel for what the market is with these things. Ive got a solid old skid steer, truck and trailer already, so no overhead to start out with. I bought this machine to clean up around my place and because it was too good of a deal to pass up at the time. Now that i’ve gotten done with what i needed it for i am wanting to get a feel for if it would be a worthwhile part time gig. My only attachment is a bucket but ive gotten decent at clearing out scrub brush and smaller ceders with it. And i’ll probably pick up a grapple to make burn piles easier.

So for you guys that do this for a living, is there money to be made for an amateur and what attachments do you use the most? Any other pointers?
    I guess there is, I’ve got one and I tried to pay someone to come run it for 8 hours since I work 6-7/week right now and they all wanted $1100-$1400/day

Comment

I pick up small jobs here and there, just get the word out.

Comment

I pay my skid steer guy $75 per hour with a 3 hour minimum. He uses a bucket, grapple and rock bucket which is mine. I run the dump trailers myself, but some guys load the skid steer in their own dump and will do some hauling as well.

Comment

Skid steer demand?

Originally posted by randal View Post
          I guess there is, I’ve got one and I tried to pay someone to come run it for 8 hours since I work 6-7/week right now and they all wanted $1100-$1400/day

Somebody wanted 1,100 a day to come run your skid steer????

I’ll bring my own skidsteer to your place and run it for 10 hours for $800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by MBV77; 10-13-2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah a fair skid steer rate is around 50 bucks an hour. Thats for me to pay someone to bring it out and do what inwant then to do. Usually they charge a 3 hour minimum which is 150. Thats what i last paid

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
              Somebody wanted 1,100 a day to come run your skid steer????

I’ll bring my own skidsteer to your place and run it for 10 hours for $800

Yeah these were people running one on a job site, I was thinking $150 for an 8 hour day since I had my own but nope $1100 was the cheapest I came across.. most did come with 1 “helper” though.. I’m not sure what he would do.. watch the guy running it??

Comment

Go to Florida for a couple weeks

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                  Go to Florida for a couple weeks
                  I bet there will be lots of people with them and/or dump trailers headed that way soon

If the going rate was $1100 per day just to operate, it would be cheaper to rent one and learn how to run it yourself

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                    Yeah these were people running one on a job site, I was thinking $150 for an 8 hour day since I had my own but nope $1100 was the cheapest I came across.. most did come with 1 “helper” though.. I’m not sure what he would do.. watch the guy running it??
                    If you are spreading dirt around houses, doing construction clean up etc a helper is a wonderful thing since he can get the stuff the bobcat can't get to so the bobcat can stay working.
                    As for rates it depends on how much work you can get done.
                    I charge $200 for the first hour and $100/hr after that and do more bobcat work than I care to.
                    Tooth bucket, grapple, forks, post hole digger and smooth bucket- in the order of usage.

Comment

Ugh an 8 hour rental for a big one costs $650 without fuel. $50 an hour with operator and delivery? Please give me a number to call!

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
                        Ugh an 8 hour rental for a big one costs $650 without fuel. $50 an hour with operator and delivery? Please give me a number to call!

I don’t know a single person(except that guy at the beginning of the thread) that would run a skid steer for $50/hr. They wouldn’t stay in business long

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                          I don’t know a single person(except that guy at the beginning of the thread) that would run a skid steer for $50/hr. They wouldn’t stay in business long
                          I see a lot of guys that can't do $50 worth of work in an hour on a skidsteer. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                            I see a lot of guys that can't do $50 worth of work in an hour on a skidsteer. lol

Hahahahhahahahahahaha that’s a fact[emoji23][emoji88]

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
                              Hahahahhahahahahahaha that’s a fact[emoji23][emoji88]

I would spend the 1st couple of hours trying to not throw myself out of the thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X