Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck. Hope you find him.

Comment

After dropping my son off at School here in Huntsville, i saw a buck dogging a doe in the pasture at the Byrd Unit with another buck just feeding without a care in the world.
      Spent many hours in the stand and watching cameras, and for me at least, it seems as though they are just starting to chase here and at my place near Groveton. Seems a little behind in regards to other folks observations. Bucks are vanishing from camera over the last few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
        After dropping my son off at School here in Huntsville, i saw a buck dogging a doe in the pasture at the Byrd Unit with another buck just feeding without a care in the world.
        Spent many hours in the stand and watching cameras, and for me at least, it seems as though they are just starting to chase here and at my place near Groveton. Seems a little behind in regards to other folks observations. Bucks are vanishing from camera over the last few days.

Lots of my does are bred. Now the bucks are digging the heck out of them

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
          No sir, not yet. I looked for a couple hours last night until my batteries went dead, but with everything wet and started to rain finding blood was impossible.

I sent a text to a dog tracker contact GarGuy gave me, but I have not heard back.

I am going back out here shortly to do more grid searching. Hoping this morning I get lucky.

J
          Man you might want to get on the dog list thread and find another one . Your deer should be dead but even if not dead he surely has a broken shoulder . High recovery odds for a good dog.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Man you might want to get on the dog list thread and find another one . Your deer should be dead but even if not dead he surely has a broken shoulder . High recovery odds for a good dog.
            Yep. Call Dustin Muchado. I've used him in Grapeland before and he has some great dogs and is a great guy. He has a very high success rate. If you call him, explain how it went down and show him that pic, he will be extremely honest with you about your odds.

Dustin Machado
            Price-250.00
            713-412-0950
            Last edited by Pineywoods; 10-28-2020, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              Lots of my does are bred. Now the bucks are digging the heck out of them

I’m not doubting your observations, i just can’t match the hours you put in to this part of the season. Its amazing how the herds act and go about their business differently even though they are so close county wise.

We had lots of sign for weeks such as rubs and fresh scrapes but zero chasing. Saw does nearly every single hunt without a single buck sighting. 7 rubs and 3 scrapes within 50yds of my set and all visible from the tree. We even had old mature deer at feeders all the way up until Saturday. Even their rear haunches have not changed colors or necks swelling up yet, well as of Saturday at least. We are right on schedule though, 3rd-4th week of October is typically when we see this activity.

Comment

Originally posted by CSanders View Post
                I’ve been getting tons of pics since last Thursday. Still getting several mature bucks moving day and night. Didn’t get to hunt last weekend, now I have to wait for rifle opener before I’ll get back that way.
                That's great! I will be back for the gun opener as well! I think it will be good hunting! Good Luck!

Comment

I’m not doubting your observations, i just can’t match the hours you put in to this part of the season. Its amazing how the herds act and go about their business differently even though they are so close county wise.

We had lots of sign for weeks such as rubs and fresh scrapes but zero chasing. Saw does nearly every single hunt without a single buck sighting. 7 rubs and 3 scrapes within 50yds of my set and all visible from the tree. We even had old mature deer at feeders all the way up until Saturday. Even their rear haunches have not changed colors or necks swelling up yet, well as of Saturday at least. We are right on schedule though, 3rd-4th week of October is typically when we see this activity.

I spent a long weekend at a HF place last year near Llano. We hunted two separate pastures. When we got there, one of them was just starting to get fired up chasing and fighting. Even rattled in a few. The other pasture bucks were bachelor grouped up and hitting feeders together. It was crazy seeing two herds sharing roughly a half mile of fence line in two different phases of the rut.

Comment

I am between Groveton and Apple Springs and I agree with you. Scrapes everywhere but the buck sightings on stand have been less. I snuck out for a hunt yesterday and had my target buck come in with 10 mins left of light. He ddnt like something and just walked off with no shot opportunity given. I am hunting out of a wooden ground blind, with all windows closed other than the front window looking out. Seems i have been winded or busted more this yr over years passed. Have even been leaving an article of clothing in the stand to help them get acclimated to my smell somewhat.. Gotta love it

Comment

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
                      I am between Groveton and Apple Springs and I agree with you. Scrapes everywhere but the buck sightings on stand have been less. I snuck out for a hunt yesterday and had my target buck come in with 10 mins left of light. He ddnt like something and just walked off with no shot opportunity given. I am hunting out of a wooden ground blind, with all windows closed other than the front window looking out. Seems i have been winded or busted more this yr over years passed. Have even been leaving an article of clothing in the stand to help them get acclimated to my smell somewhat.. Gotta love it

Nose jammer, evercalm and coon pee will help mask your scent. May need to start washing your clothes and keeping them in container. Just put them on when you get out to head to the stand. Just some thoughts. Those 3 cover scents really help me when bow hunting these East texas boogers

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                        Nose jammer, evercalm and coon pee will help mask your scent. May need to start washing your clothes and keeping them in container. Just put them on when you get out to head to the stand. Just some thoughts. Those 3 cover scents really help me when bow hunting these East texas boogers

I always wanted to try this because I hunt in Central TX and NETX and coons are everywhere. But,
                        1. Where do you get it?
                        2. How do you use it?
                        3. How do you keep it from stinking up your other gear, your hands and your garage?

Comment

I been in a tent blind since just before noon. This is my first chance to breathe. 4 bucks so far plus some does and nubbers.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                            I always wanted to try this because I hunt in Central TX and NETX and coons are everywhere. But,
                            1. Where do you get it?
                            2. How do you use it?
                            3. How do you keep it from stinking up your other gear, your hands and your garage?

Walmart or academy. It’s in a spray bottle. I usually will spray some on the leaves around me in the tree while sitting. It’s just a strong masking scent. I usually put evercalm on my boots if I’m walking through deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post

Man i am usually over the top with ever calm and tinks on my burlap around my windows, my son just covers his nose soon as we get in out of habit.. Usually masks my scent well. I am religious about wearing my clothes and boots in blind only, then hang in a tree by camp soon as hunt is over, boots go in a corn sack. I am going to give the coon pee and nose jammer a try, cant hurt! Thanks

Comment

4 bucks and some turkeys this morning.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X