Check This Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check This Out

In the stand yesterday AM and about 8:30 2 does and a youngster saunter into the feed pen. I have seen these does for 2 years, the smaller one with a fawn, and the larger one without. Was reading on the phone when I noticed them, so stealthily stowed the phone, took the bow off the hanger, and hooked up. When the larger of the does turned broadside at 16 yds, I drew, anchored, aimed, and squeezed it off. CRACK!!! I was a bit shocked at what happened next. All three of the animals hauled in 3 different directions and I watched the arrow come flying back in my general direction, landing about 10-12' from where it impacted the doe's shoulder. Waited my usual 15+ minutes, got down, checked the arrow and found this:

Stainless Bear Razorhead and it destructed on impact. At first I was thinking it went thru and hit a rock and rebounded, but no blood on the vanes, and only slight smears up to about 3" before the vanes. No blood in the pen either. Stowed my gear, and while I was doing it, heard deer blowing in the creek bottom, maybe 60-70 yds away.

First blood--right outside the pen where she likely landed when she jumped out:

Next blood--20 yds away--maybe stopped here?

Next:

And so it went for about 100 yds, and the trail ended in a T. 2 hours looking all around and no more blood, nothing,

Obviously I hit a major bone--either upper leg, shoulder blade, or the socket, and the 525-gr arrow at 238 fps didn't bust through. But, hopefully she survives and comes back---Next time it will be different.

If you hunt long enough it is bound to happen, and it has happened to me before, but I still don't like it. I have already thought "How am I going to correct this on my next shot?"
    Last edited by dustoffer; 10-11-2020, 03:19 PM.

Thats crazy

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow never seen one do that

Comment

Would love to know "the rest of the story" (what happened to cause that)

Comment

That sucks......may be time to change broadheads.
          At first glance I thought it was a cheap Allen's

Comment

Good to see someone own what was probably a less than perfect shot instead of blaming the broad head or worse saying they made a perfect shot and don’t know why they can’t find their deer. It will be interesting to see where the mark is on her body when she shows back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

rtp--I have 3 stands/feeders on the place and they have been regulars at all 3 I will pull cards Friday and see what might be.

Comment

Did you shoot through the panels?

Comment

I hit one in the shoulder once and it’s a unique sound. I bet you see her back in a couple days.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                    Did you shoot through the panels?
                    Feed pen is 3-strand barbed wire and I was about 20' up in an oak so not thru anything except air.

Comment

That is crazy! Like you said though, it happens to the best of us. Shot probably wasn't even that bad, you just hit that one bone just right. I'm not a broadhead blamer by any means, but after seeing these pics I'd be looking for another head. Only broadheads I've ever seen damaged like that were direct t-post, feeder leg, or rock hits.

Comment

It is no doubt that is broadhead failure. Question is what caused the failure and when EXACTLY did it happen... You OBVIOUSLY hit your target, but did the head hit something else first, or did you not hit where you thought (perhaps a low brisket hit with a riccochet back off ground item like a rock) A solid hit that failed the head AFTER it passed thru the animal should have had a LOT of physical evidence on the head. I'm thinking you cut the animal with the head, but the head did NOT pass thru the animal's body and it hit something very hard after (or possibly before) hitting the animal.

Comment

That is strange. A good case for monolith broadheads.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            It is no doubt that is broadhead failure. Question is what caused the failure and when EXACTLY did it happen... You OBVIOUSLY hit your target, but did the head hit something else first, or did you not hit where you thought (perhaps a low brisket hit with a riccochet back off ground item like a rock) A solid hit that failed the head AFTER it passed thru the animal should have had a LOT of physical evidence on the head. I'm thinking you cut the animal with the head, but the head did NOT pass thru the animal's body and it hit something very hard after (or possibly before) hitting the animal.
                            Remember when we heard that same "Crack", Charlie?

Slick Trick buried in the off shoulder joint.

Comment

That is weird. After 28 yrs of archery hunting white tail, I have only one crazy tale and I understand when people don't believe it....

Hit an old buck high in 2015 from a 10' standing platform tree ladder stand at ~25 yds on a evening hunt. He ran 70 yds, turned and looked back in my direction on the game trail for several minutes then walked away. I waited in the stand exactly 45 minutes.

climbed down and found where he stood at 70 yds and there was at least a 1/4 cup of blood. Followed his path and only found one more blood drop.

Friend and I searched that night for him until 9pm. No luck. We took dogs out to search the next morning. Nothing.

A week later, he showed up on my friends game camera. Buck had a scabbed-over wound below the spine and I guess above the lungs. We didn't see him on pics again after that. It's a low fence area near Eagle/Columbus.

Comment

Working...
                              X