Lake Somerville PHL - 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Punkin View Post
    Do y'all tend to stay away from the pond/marshy areas to avoid any duck hunters? Or is nobody duck hunting out there anymore?
    It will sound like World War III out there tomorrow morning, especially at #5. It all just depends on what you believe in. Will the guns chase deer your way? I personally don't really care either way. I'll still be out there tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by greenmonstah View Post
      It will sound like World War III out there tomorrow morning, especially at #5. It all just depends on what you believe in. Will the guns chase deer your way? I personally don't really care either way. I'll still be out there tomorrow morning.

I'm planning to duck hunt out there tomorrow morning and scout today. I've never been out there and I want to make sure I'm not messing anybody up. Public land hunting is new to me so I'm trying to tread lightly.

I assume you're supposed to park and enter at the registration stations, is that correct? I looked through the PHL book but wasn't able to find where this was stated.
      Last edited by Punkin; 11-08-2019, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I'm planning to duck hunt out there tomorrow morning and scout today. I've never been out there and I want to make sure I'm not messing anybody up. Public land hunting is new to me so I'm trying to tread lightly.

I assume you're supposed to park and enter at the registration stations, is that correct? I looked through the PHL book but wasn't able to find where this was stated.
        You can enter from anywhere as long as it's public land and you can park on side of the road legally. Scouting today may not offend anyone but tomorrow might be a different story. Lol.

Comment

There’s not much water on the ponds out there. On the Yegua Compartment at least. Best get there at 2am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can enter from anywhere as long as it's public land and you can park on side of the road legally. Scouting today may not offend anyone but tomorrow might be a different story. Lol.
            Thanks for the parking clarification, I appreciate it. I'm leaving work early so I can scout it today. Figured there would be less chance of offending someone on a weekday.

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post
            There’s not much water on the ponds out there. On the Yegua Compartment at least. Best get there at 2am!
            Do the duck hunters get out there that early to setup and claim spots?

I've read through this thread and the same one from last year. I keep seeing where people are referring to check stations by numbers. Where are these numbers found? The PHL booklet just has them marked with stars.

Comment

Looks like a good location and a reasonable drive for me so add another nuisance rookie to Sommerville. See ya once I read up and figure out what I can and cant do.

Comment

Thanks for the parking clarification, I appreciate it. I'm leaving work early so I can scout it today. Figured there would be less chance of offending someone on a weekday.

Do the duck hunters get out there that early to setup and claim spots?

I've read through this thread and the same one from last year. I keep seeing where people are referring to check stations by numbers. Where are these numbers found? The PHL booklet just has them marked with stars.

They’ll be lined up along every pond by 5am!
                Aggies have a bye this week so every Aggie that’s broke-will be out there

Good luck!!

Comment

Ole boy last year killed some Cinn Teal at Nails. I think 2 to be exact? He may start commenting again along these since season is now here.

Nails Compartment will be best bet duck hunting. PM me and I can share some wealthy knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post
                    Ole boy last year killed some Cinn Teal at Nails. I think 2 to be exact? He may start commenting again along these since season is now here.

Nails Compartment will be best bet duck hunting. PM me and I can share some wealthy knowledge

I agree, I sat last year on Nails wishing I had a shotgun lol. Saw more ducks than deer. There are some good ponds on Nails plus those ducks love those creeks along there for some reason. Good luck to both duck hunters and deer hunters!

Comment

I'm no mathematician but if you have 288sq.in. on your body, then how are you getting 112 on your head? Doesn't that seem like a lot?

Comment

Scouted yesterday at Nails and Yegua. Walked over 11 miles and found almost no water. Most of the ponds were dry and have been dry for awhile based on the cracks in the dirt. Wasn’t even mud anymore, just dust. Definitely didn’t find enough to warrant an hour drive this morning. I don’t think there will be many birds for now. Good luck to those who went out.
                        Last edited by Punkin; 11-09-2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Does lake Somerville have a levee system that floods these areas or is just natural runoff/overflow from the rain?

Comment

Natural creek run off

Comment

I'm no mathematician but if you have 288sq.in. on your body, then how are you getting 112 on your head? Doesn't that seem like a lot?

A very tall cat in the hat or lincoln.
                              Just bought a cool orange cap with some breakup black tree branches. It is very visible but wonder if any game law officer would take an attitutde because the branches. I see folks on occassion with these. Never found any comments in the rule books. The hat does not have an inches requirement but I hate arguing with the man so wondering about the hat. My vest is all orange and legal for the 400 of course. The hat is the subject!! ?? Any experience comments?

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                                A very tall cat in the hat or lincoln.

Just bought a cool orange cap with some breakup black tree branches. It is very visible but wonder if any game law officer would take an attitutde because the branches. I see folks on occassion with these. Never found any comments in the rule books. The hat does not have an inches requirement but I hate arguing with the man so wondering about the hat. My vest is all orange and legal for the 400 of course. The hat is the subject!! ?? Any experience comments?
                                But 144 + 144 doesn't equal 400.

Comment

Working...
                                X