Replacing outlet with GFCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing outlet with GFCI

After my garage GFCI plug KEPT getting thrown by the deep freezer and wasting meat I got an electrician to run a new outlet with no gfci. Now that we’re getting ready to move I believe I need to change that. Can I just turn the breaker off and replace the current outlet with a gfci that has the same amperage rating or is there more to it?

Trying to keep my mind off not being in the woods...

Yes pretty easy to do.

Comment

Yes

Comment

You tube is your friend. Make sure and use a circuit tester to insure you threw the right breaker.

Comment

I would not worry about it unless an inspector said you had to.
          But like mentioned...not hard

Comment

Here's the answer-- google "Where is GFCI required?" and you will find per the fire code one is not required for your garage outlet. They are required in outlets servicing counters around sinks in kitchens and baths, etc.

Some local codes may be more restrictive however.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
              Here's the answer-- google "Where is GFCI required?" and you will find per the fire code one is not required for your garage outlet. They are required in outlets servicing counters around sinks in kitchens and baths, etc.

Wrong

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. We’re planning to keep this place and rent it out and I’d hate to have a lawsuit from a tenant who fried themselves somehow. For the few dollars it costs for a new outlet I’ll probably go the safe route and do it, whether required or not.

Comment

Don’t listen to this guy.

Comment

NEC says otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I had an electrician replace a bad GFI circuit breaker today.
                      I just don't like fooling with electric.

Comment

GFCI’s are a great idea but poorly executed. Any little electrical disturbance will give you a nuisance trip. Changing a standard receptacle to a GFCI receptacle is simple wire for wire transfer.
                        Last edited by kmitchl; 09-28-2019, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Just put a GFCI decal on it, no one will ever know.

Comment

May want to re read that

Comment

Code can take a hike if I'm plugging a fridge or freezer in to it!lol

Comment

Working...
                              X