Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Sumac-aide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sumac-aide

I have loved foraging berries and fruits for years, and never really gave much thought to the countless sumac shrubs I walked past year in and year out. I’ve heard mention of sumac lemonade a few times over the past few years, but just assumed it had to have been from a different variety than we have around north central Texas... otherwise the ranchers wouldn’t detest and eradicate something that provided such a refreshing summer drink.

Nope... I’ve been ignoring it without merit.
    I picked a whole bunch of berry heads, stripped the stems out of them to reduce the tannins, then soaked them in cold water for 4 hours.

I strained off the berries and accompanying leftover petals with a muslin cloth sack, and sweetened to taste. I used 1 cup of sugar to 3 liters of ade. It might be a bit over sweetened to my taste, but my son likes it sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm interesting

Comment

I’d be interested to taste that. Only sumac I’ve (knowingly) been in contact with gave me a full body rash...

Comment

Learn something new every day.......

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
          I’d be interested to taste that. Only sumac I’ve (knowingly) been in contact with gave me a full body rash...

Totally different plant, and luckily they are VERY easily distinguishable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, have done this for years. Very refreshing drink. Have to collect the heads during a dry spell tho. Not good right after a rain. Your next project show be yaupon tea if you’ve never tried that and are a coffee drinker.

Comment

Working...
            X