Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braised Aoudad Shanks

Shared from my FB page, www.facebook.com/killtoeat

Who has ever heard about how nasty and inedible Aoudad sheep are? That didn't scare off my gorgeous girlfriend from making her first ever kill on our hunt this past weekend! She made a perfect 120yd shot with my 7mm mag and this gorgeous Aoudad ewe was toast! I can't wait to post about her first bow kill in the months to come.

I'm here to dispel the rumors - Aoudad is delicious! However, like all things, the devil is in the details. Some animals - like nilgai - can go straight to the plate after being killed, and be both tender and delicious. Others require more nuanced preparation.

Like all quadrupeds, the shanks of an Aoudad are extremely tough, and so we must braise them in a flavorful cocktail of delicious spices and liquids to melt the gristle between the muscles and thusly infuse the meat with gelatin and flavor packed goodness that will rival any $50 lamb shank plate at a high end restaurant.

Here's the recipe!

1. Start out with a pair of Aoudad hindshanks, cleaned and patted dry. Brown the shanks thoroughly in a skillet and hot oil (tallow, olive, or whatever else you prefer - I used olive this time)

2. Chop one whole red onion and add it to your clean, empty braising pot.

3. Place the browned shanks atop the onions on the braising pot, and add four bay leaves, one large tablespoon of minced garlic (seriously, this stuff beats the hell out of mincing your own garlic), two tablespoons of rosemary leaves and two tablespoons of thyme leaves.

4. Add four tablespoons of soy sauce, six of Worcestershire sauce, two cups of chicken/beef stock, and one cup of Cabernet Sauvignon. Also add a dozen kalamata olives and two tablespoons of brine from the olive jar!

5. Bring pot to a boil, then lower heat and braise (basically just simmer it) for five hours.

6. Use tongs to remove shanks from pot, and set them aside for a moment. Using a measuring cup, add a third of a cup of water into the measuring cup and start adding/whisking corn starch to the water until the two look like very thick syrup - almost like Elmer's Glue.

7. Slowly start whisking this glue-like starch solution into your braising pot. Remember that the thickening effect of both starch and flour takes a little time to fully manifest, so dont expect the results to be instant. After about five minutes of whisking and slowly adding more and more, you will see your liquids in the pot start to take on a beautiful gravy consistency. Return shanks to the pot and allow to rest for ten minutes before plating.

8. I used orzo seasoned with butter, sea salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder for my bed, but feel free to use polenta, risotto or any of your other favorite carbs. :-)

Enjoy your five star meal made out of an "inedible" animal, and please let me know any questions you might have in the comments below!

Prost!

P.S. I'd like to extend a special shoutout to Bashans Ranch in Dilley, TX for hosting my beautiful girlfriend and I for a fabulous hunt! They are a top notch operation with excellebr guides and service, and have definitely earned my future business!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Looks and sounds great.

Comment

Looks great. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Everybody knows you can't eat Aoudad!

Looks amazing!!!

Comment

Well done, amigo!

Comment

Um, we're missing pics of said beautiful GF.

Comment

I think people have trouble with big older rams. not wo much ewes and young rams. that looks delicious!

Comment

I love seeing food myths busted. You da man Sneaky!

Comment

Looks good, I’ve heard they make great tamales too

Did you post this on the TxBHA Facebook page?

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                    Looks good, I’ve heard they make great tamales too

Did you post this on the TxBHA Facebook page?
                    Yessir I did!

Greek Bowhunter. 4,813 likes. Bowhunter, Powerlifter, Wild Game Chef

Comment

Coming from a guy that picks thru the gut pile and eats swine fetus.... I think i will pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                        Coming from a guy that picks thru the gut pile and eats swine fetus.... I think i will pass.
                        At least I still hunt. [emoji44][emoji6]

---
                        Sent from my Galaxy Note 9
                        IG: greekbowhunter
                        Greek Bowhunter. 4,813 likes. Bowhunter, Powerlifter, Wild Game Chef

Comment

Looks awesome!

Comment

Pics look good

Comment

Thanks for the recipe! I hope to need it soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X