No announcement yet.

Has a 30-30 ever let you down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only once my but there was a 30-06 involved that was equally faulty, my brother and I shot a doe 11 times, normally I'd admit to shot placement but out of 11 shots you'd think one would have hit the sweet spot. 30-06 5 shots- 5 hits, 30-30 6 shots six hits, all running deer never found. Neither of us has shot at a running deer since then.

Comment

My dad had a corporate lease he used to take his clients too. He hated clients that brought there 30-30. Think he finally made it a rule. He said 30-30 ment a long track or a lost deer.

Comment

Nope
        150 grain hollow points laid em down
        Head and neck shots pigs and deer

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
          The Hornady LeverRevolution really stepped up the 30/30 game. That's the flattest shooting round on the market that I know of for 30/30. I sighted mine in at 200 yards (per the directions on the box) and held about 16 inches high on a yote in a pasture. Balled him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Absolutely agree with you. I shot a 300 yrd qualifying target at American Shooting Center with those. I love those bullets...
          Last edited by Homer75; 08-09-2017, 10:23 PM. Reason: Dam autocorrect

Comment

I would hope a 30-30 could get it done since a flying stick does OK.

Comment

Love my 30-30! It is actually the gun I most prefer hunting with. Shot many deer and pigs with its open sites...longest shot was probably 150 yards and dropped a buck. Shot a 200# boar in Ft. Davis at 80 yards and dropped him too. Great all around rifle in my opinion.

Comment

Is this a normal grouping ....

I found this very interesting. I bought a new 30/30 and tried to zero it in at 75 yds and had the same result. I haven't hunted with it because I'm use to a 1" grouping with my 308. Is this a normal grouping for a 30/30???:

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                Nope.

Comment

Never let me down its the first center fire rifle i every bought in 2006. Took my first deer this management buck @185 yrds in 2007 then many hogs from 100-250 all DRT with 170gr corelokt
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by justintyme8303; 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I found this very interesting. I bought a new 30/30 and tried to zero it in at 75 yds and had the same result. I haven't hunted with it because I'm use to a 1" grouping with my 308. Is this a normal grouping for a 30/30???:
                    Not sure what you are referring to above but I've owned multiple Marlin and Winchester lever 30-30's over the years and the Marlins all shot 2-3" at 100 yards with factory ammo. I have owned two micro-groove Marlins that just would not shoot the Hornady Leverevolution bullets...6" or bigger groups.

I've never shot a scoped Winchester but all the ones I've owned would shoot +-2" at 50 yards - I'm sure they could do better with the right shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                      Not once.
                      Ditto. it was my truck gun. Killed all kinds of animals with it. I shoot 150 grainers.

Comment

Mine was an H&R Topper 20 ga. that I got a 30-30 barrel for. I was able to load more modern pointy bullets in the 135-150 gr range and it was pretty accurate and never let me down

Comment

Yes. I lost my biggest buck with a 30-30 shot with 150 gr corelokt. Had blood for 300 yds then nothing, it was like the deer sprouted wings and flew off! Shot was 40 yds broadside and he kicked like a heart shot. I like a 30-30 but prefer the velocity of the better calibers.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
                            Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
                            Not sure what you are referring to above but I've owned multiple Marlin and Winchester lever 30-30's over the years and the Marlins all shot 2-3" at 100 yards with factory ammo. I have owned two micro-groove Marlins that just would not shoot the Hornady Leverevolution bullets...6" or bigger groups.

I've never shot a scoped Winchester but all the ones I've owned would shoot +-2" at 50 yards - I'm sure they could do better with the right shooter.
                            This was a quick group I shot at 100 yards with my factory open sights. The front sight post looked bigger than the whole target.

I'm proud that I got that many rounds into a roughly heart-sized group. I'm sure this gun would shoot 1-2" groups with a scope and Hornady leverrevolution ammo.

Comment

100 yards with factory buckhorn sights...your group is better than what I can do.

Comment

Yessir, then I bought a 270 and never looked back.

Comment

Working...
                                X