No announcement yet.

Tell me about retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been thinking about retiring for the last year( I will be starting my 39 year in November) it will be an 8.00 an hour raise for me to retire but just can’t bring myself to quit working. I love what I do and it has became a way of life for me. I think I would miss it too much if I left.

Comment

I’m retiring at 60-62 which is 8-10 years away. When it’s hot here I’ll be in a small camper in the back country of many states north of here. When is not bad here I’ll hopefully be golfing and visiting grand kids. I’ll find a way to kill time

Comment

I stay busy- I fish - work out- go hang at beach and fish- hunt- get to ride on a Sportfisher and deckhand and fish- walk about 3 miles a day with the wife. Highly recommend

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
          Not work. If you aren’t involved with your church or have some purpose you’ll be miserable
          I think this is true.
          Retired to be a missionary and enjoy every minute of it. I lay down at night dead tired and knowing that I lived a full day with purpose for someone else besides me.

Comment

Stay busy. Volunteer at a non profit. Do meals on wheels. Fish and hunt. Teach the kids in the neighborhood to shoot a bow. Take classes at a tech school. Just do something to keep mind and body active. When you stop, you drop.

Comment

I think you should be prepared to have days with nothing to do and enjoy them. But, everyone is wired differently…..

Comment

exercise, fish, reload, old cars, shoot, can salsa, etc and the list goes on. I will sell my company soon and be done with all the work and will not get bored.

Comment

Way to go Tom!

Comment

I'll be 58 in October. My wife is wanting me to retire @ 62. She's 14 years younger and will continue working as a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner for many more years. She does very well for herself. I've got plenty to do and a 40x60 shop to do it in. I always expected to work until 67, but 62 is sounding better and better.

Comment

I worked until 63.5 and then retired after 36.5 years as a plant worker It's quite an adjustment for a few months after retirement. I stay busy with cattle, church, traveling, hunting, fishing and honey does. I am more busy now than I was working but enjoying every minute of it. The main thing is keep moving and enjoy yourself because tomorrow is not promised to anyone.

Comment

Retired May 22, 2020 at 67. Returned to the area the wife and I grew up in and around family. Bought a place in the country with 6.5 acres and a 1200 sq ft metal building that was a 3/1 MIL living area. I left 2 bedrooms and am turning the master bedroom into my shop. Mowing with a Zero Turn, a 4x4 Kubota tractor and shredder plus a Swisher Trail mower behind my 4 wheeler around takes about 5-6 hours. If it rains a bunch, mowing is pretty regular, but with this drought, not so much. My place is very hilly thus the use of the tractor on the north side of my property and at the front where my property is steep going to the side of the main road to our place. The pond is steep on all sides thus the use of the Swisher trail mower and 4 wheeler.

It is a lot of work, but this is our forever home and we really do not consider it work. If it is hot, forget doing any manual labor unless it is early or late. The shop has a heater and air conditioner so a lot of time will be spent out there getting it set up, but it will be on my time. If I want to do work, I will, if not I won't. So far, retirement has been great. We are closer to family now so that helps also. We were 6 hours away for 45 years.

The only thing not good about retirement is the fixed income and the hit our Mutual Funds are taking right now. We are financially OK, but it still ****** me off what this Admin is doing. This and some medical issues being older and taking longer to recover.

I would change nothing though being retired or when I retired.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          Nope. My wife has a "honey-do" list that involves more work than any job I've ever had.
                          We have a few guys that are 62-63 and could retire if they wanted to... they realize we are nicer bosses than their wives are and refuse to leave.

Comment

Do whatever you enjoy until it seems to become work, then do something else.
                            Be busy doing something if it's even taking a nap.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              Retirement doesn't interest me one bit. Lord willing, I'll still be here helping other people retire for at least 20 more years. (I'm about to turn 56 next week.)
                              What do you do Shane?

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                                I'm in the same boat and afraid I'll become an alcoholic.
                                You say that like it’s a bad thing….

Comment

Working...
                                X